• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good purchase for $1000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

Hey guys I've been out of the loop on hardware for AWHILE!

I posted on reddit to build me a pc for $1000 and they used some item picker that does the picking for you so I want to make sure I'm not getting the wrong stuff.

Here is what it picked:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $179.99 @ Microcenter
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $183.48 @ Mwave
Memory Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $49.99 @ Newegg
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $89.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card $279.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Microcenter
Power Supply Antec 650W ATX12V Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping and discounts when available. $923.42

I also just realized there is no sound card included...any recommendations?

I want this to be able to play HoN,Dota2,LoL, and D3. Any changes or does this look good? ALso will that powersupply be big enough to run everything? Seems pretty cheap to me.

Thanks!

Hey dude, I remember you.

Sound cards are out of style - onboard has come a long way, so unless you need certain connections or have other special needs, I wouldn't recommend a sound card for most people these days.

You have Ivy Bridge coming out within a month or so, you may want to wait for that if you aren't really jammed up for an upgrade immediately. The reviews and pricing once it is out may be of interest to you before you build a rig on what is going to be last generation.

The Z68 motherboard will also be last generation, lacking PCIE 3.0, onchip USB3, etc. Z77 may be what you want to look to so you aren't starting out on dated stuff. If you do want to go with stuff like you were suggested already, it will perform great, but I'd recommend buying used and saving a ton of money - or putting more money into a stronger GPU.

I don't know that I'd go with that video card either, but there are other people around here better than me at suggesting parts. Interested to see what they suggest.

:welcome: back. Shame on you for going to reddit for build advice.

Thanks for the advice IMOG, had no idea about this Ivy Bridge, I'll do some research on it. I know i'm getting lazy in my old age :p

Another benefit to waiting a bit longer is Nvidia's 6XX series of cards are just being rolled out.

If you can swing it a SSD is really really nice.

I'd spend less on the MB and get a half decent aftermarket cooler such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. Since the K series chips are multiplier unlocked, they do not need a super robust (aka expensive) MB to OC.

I'd go with something like this. Also supports CFX, so you can throw in another 7850 for a cheap upgrade.

7850 roughly equals GTX580 in performance.

Screen Shot 2012-04-03 at 12.19.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-03 at 12.19.30 PM.png

Thanks knufire, I knew you'd come through! Better video card and got an SSD in there - the SSD is the best addition.

7850 is below a GTX 580 by a fair margin since a 7870 trades blows with it. But a 7850 is also substantially cheaper. So it would depend how much you want to spend.

7850 is below a GTX 580 by a fair margin since a 7870 trades blows with it. But a 7850 is also substantially cheaper. So it would depend how much you want to spend.

Heh, just looked at more benchmarks, seemed like many of the early ones I read were rather AMD biased.

Thanks for the helpful responses guys!

I'm going to go with Knufire's recommendation except getting the GTX

Last edited:
Back