• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a "ram leak"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I've had this issue since I first got my PC. Figured I could find a fix on my own but I can't. System is in sig (950) (Running W7 64)

Symptom: I'll sometimes experience choppy game performance. This occurs both when my system is overclocked as in sig and on 'default' bios settings. The memory is always at sticker voltage and timing, regardless. It also occured when I had my 6870 in this rig and now with the 580 as well, so that is not the culprit.

Solution: Although task manager and burn test read that I have 3GB free while game X is running, game X behaves like it is out of physical memory. But, if I run burn test, and run my available memory down to like 200MB then stop burntest and free myself back up to 3GB again, the game will run smoothly.

Thought: It is as if there is 'junk' stuck in that 3GB of RAM somehow, and running burntest cleans it out.

Theory:My thought is that I have defective RAM. I have tried switching the memory modules around to no avail, and of course, I ran memtest from a USB stick bootably for several passes over a couple of hours and it did not find errors. I have of course reinstalled W7. This occurs with the OS installed on either hard drive, and it occurs with SP1 as well.

Fix?:Should I try switching out the Mushkin Ram for something else? Suggestions? Looking to stick to Cas 7. 1600Mhz is ok.

Last edited:
Does this only happen on game X, or Y and Z as well? Do you get the out of physical memory message?

I never run out of physical memory AS REPORTED :p. I never show less than about 2.5-3GB FREE no matter what. That's the odd thing. Any program that reports free RAM agrees approx 3GB is free even under load. Happens with any game. Even Chrome, if I'm really abusing it and have like 15 windows going. After I close them all down games will run a bit choppy unless I burntest the ram out... really weird.
Doesn't seem to happen EVERY SINGLE time though... only maybe 6 or 7 out of 10 times...

I have to load then unload all the RAM down to like 500MB free in burntest to alleviate the issue.

I appear to have 'ghost ram usage'...

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=24_311_312_612

Im gonna grab another set to test and see if this is the issue. Can someone please suggest the best low CAS 1600 modules from this site plz? (3x2GB) Thanks in advance

I am not familiar with what IC is actually on who's mem module and want good quality. Can't do tall HS as I have an NHd14. Looking to avoid Mushkin as their stuff has always acted strangely on me, unless you have personal experience with the DIMM/IC in question :).

Last edited:
I dont get it. If you have a memory leak, its in the OS/applications, not the memory.

Yeah, I'd start looking into the services actively running and check cpu load. sounds like you have something running in the background eating up cycles.

If you are thinking that, then you shouldnt buy new ram. ;)

I just wanted to explore all the options. Ram's easy enough to get a refund on down the street if it doesn't solve the problem. What I really need is a closet full of test parts, a bow tie, and greasy hair... :rain:

Back