• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this Heatsink enough for my purpose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Hey Guys,

Soon I'll be upgrading my system from what you see in my tag.

The plan is to get a Gigabyte Z87X UD3H with a i7k, not sure which yet, prices are pretty high...maybe settle for a i5k..

My question is this...

What do you think about my current HS? The Thermalright 120 I'm using? I know there's a adapter bracket I can buy for it so it fits the 1150 sockets. I'm also not sure if the HS fins degrade over time from heat?

I also am aware of the Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler and Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Edition which is difficult to get in Canada but if I don't have to spend the money then why bother?

I'm looking for a moderate Overclock (air cooled only), nothing crazy...currently I've been OC'ng my C2D 6400 2.13ghz stock at maximum 3.2ghz stable for over 6+ years...now I just have it at 2.8ghz...

So if I buy a k series i5 or i7 that kicks out stock 3.4-3.5ghz...I'd like to get a 4.5ghz OC on the chip. My main goal in an OC that is stable is low temps...I have yet to research what temps these chips kick out and what is safe etc..

Thanks.

Last edited:
4.5ghz haswell on air will be a crapshoot. Depends on the chip...you would need a good one. 3770k is more likely.

True 120 Extreme is still a very good cooler and there's no degradation with use.

NH-D14 is better but only about 5c, and that's no big deal. Adding a 2nd fan would usually gives 2c lower temps without increasing noise much.

There are not many of us with coolers 6 years old still in use. I've got an Ultra 120A (4 pipes). Thought you might find this old review of interest. :D
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2187/4

True 120 Extreme is still a very good cooler and there's no degradation with use.

NH-D14 is better but only about 5c, and that's no big deal. Adding a 2nd fan would usually gives 2c lower temps without increasing noise much.

There are not many of us with coolers 6 years old still in use. I've got an Ultra 120A (4 pipes). Thought you might find this old review of interest. :D
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2187/4

I could add a 2nd fan but I would need the clips and rubber strips that go on the HS...the thing is...I have an exhaust fan pretty much 2inches away from the rear of the heatsink which pulls the air out of the case...not even sure if tossing another fan on the HS makes any sense in this case?

I could add a 2nd fan but I would need the clips and rubber strips that go on the HS...the thing is...I have an exhaust fan pretty much 2inches away from the rear of the heatsink which pulls the air out of the case...not even sure if tossing another fan on the HS makes any sense in this case?
Probably not unless you removed the exhaust fan and grill from read vent and maybe put a duct between cooler and vent opening. Makes sure the hot cooler exhaust goes out of case without mixing and warming up any of the air in the case. ;)
IMG_3641_zps48eef0d1.jpg

Sorry for poor quality of back view
IMG_3642_zpsd481721f.jpg

Another option might be to upgrade the fan you have on your Ultra 120 Extreme though not sure what to suggest.. or do both. :D

Last edited:
That duct cooler option looks nice...

also...

correct me if I'm wrong but this is the only blot thru kit that will work in adapting my HS to the 1150 socket cpu?

my HS = Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme AM2 HS

Thermalright Socket 1156 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev.B

problem is...almost impossible to find in stock, especially in Canada

Any suggestions?

Kit isn't cheap.. even more with post but still way cheaper than a new cooler.

And you have bragging rights with the Ultra 120 Extreme. :thup:

This might be all the help I need. I'll see if I can find this adapter kit. Thank you!

Nevermind the kit, kit isn't cheap yes but looks like I can't get it in Canada which means It will cost me about $40 with shipping and not sure about duties etc..so this is pointless...

I may have to get the Noctua and retire my Thermalright since the company likes to make it really difficult for customers to get their products.

I emailed thermalright with this nonsense of how difficult it is to get their products in Canada.

That sucks! :(

The new Noctua NH-U12S is nice 120mm fan and NH-U14S is better 140mm fan.
Phanteks are all good and you can pick your on color ;)

Back