• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this MOBO support enuf.?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashwin_natesan

Registered
Guys/Gurus...

just assembled a CPU..
I am currently using a Samsung 22".

I bought this mother board..
http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M5A88M/#specifications

I also bought this GPU..
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1160&lid=1&pid=1499&leg=0

I am way too much in to gaming..
but not sure whether this mobo will hold good in case of Crossfire..

The chipset of the MOBO is AMD 880G/SB850..what does this mean..??
I couldnt find it in the AMT webpage for Crossfore supported MoBo's..

Did I Just bought a stupid one.?

You can't crossfire on that board, it supports hybrid crossfire which uses the onboard graphics which is not the same as a regular crossfire setup. You will not be able to run 2 gpus on that motherboard as it only has one pci-e 16x slot.

The chipset is the combination of your northbridge and southbridge which control the native functions of your motherboard.

You can't crossfire... but you can put a beast of a card in that first PCIE 16x slot. :D

I'm using the full ATX version of your mobo with a single 7850 and FX-4100 and it's plenty for me. Don't know what CPU you're using but for gaming the GPU is more important anyway.

You can't crossfire on that board, it supports hybrid crossfire which uses the onboard graphics which is not the same as a regular crossfire setup. You will not be able to run 2 gpus on that motherboard as it only has one pci-e 16x slot.

Hmm.. sad story huh.??
Will this OnBoard graphics any good...?

The chipset is the combination of your northbridge and southbridge which control the native functions of your motherboard.
Can you tell me where to learn more about this northbridge and southbridge..?? Googling it turns out some rapid BS..

You can't crossfire... but you can put a beast of a card in that first PCIE 16x slot. :D

I'm using the full ATX version of your mobo with a single 7850 and FX-4100 and it's plenty for me. Don't know what CPU you're using but for gaming the GPU is more important anyway.

I am using the FX8120 edition with a single HD7850 2GB from Sapphire..
Hope this is gud enuf..!!!

At OP, you should be fine with an FX8120 + HD7850 2GB combo. It would be better if you can OC the CPU, but with that mobo, well, it is better not to. What PSU are you using?

Once you get everything installed and running check your temps at stock under a P95 load. Particularily the CPU temp which is the socket area of your board. That board is borderline for that CPU 4+1 vrm with no heatsinks this is going to be a weak spot. Probably won't be able to OC.

Back