• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this normal? Weird temp jump in MBM5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RingWraith2086

I have it set to read temps every 1 second. So that means in four seconds, the temp went from 28 degrees to 70 degrees. Does MBM normal make huge temperature increment jumps like this?

Attachments

• Temps.JPG
    Temps.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 74
And what about this. I let my CPU idle for 30 minutes after taking the above screenshot, and my average CPU temp gets dow below my case temp. How is this possible?

Attachments

• new temps.JPG
    new temps.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 62
it looks to me as you have the sensors configured wrong. have you looked up your motherboard on mbm's website?

the spike could be due to a temporary offset of your hsf, or waterblock...

the case being higher than the core sounds like a water cooled system with poor airflow, or mbm5 is reading the sensor location incorrectly. (diode reading as the socket, socket reading as the case, case reading as the diode etc...)

perhaps for one of the readouts mbm read a '0'
that happened for me with my old mobo, and it made the high/low averages and what not a bit screwy

Guderian said:
the spike could be due to a temporary offset of your hsf, or waterblock...

the case being higher than the core sounds like a water cooled system with poor airflow, or mbm5 is reading the sensor location incorrectly. (diode reading as the socket, socket reading as the case, case reading as the diode etc...)

i don't think its possible for case temps to be higher than core temps. the diode idea is much more possible.

I have had my case temp equal to or higher than my diode temp on numerous occasions. usually when blowing cool air into my case through radiator, and the poor airflow in the case. The cpu would get down to 39 and the case would be around 42...

of course we both know the whole case isnt really that hot... just the location of the sensor. but all things considered.... I is possible to have an accurate (read:Correct sensor selection) readout with mbm5 where the case is higher than the diode.

Ok, well first of all, I don't have watercooling. It's 1 side intake, 2 back exhausts, although I am about to add to 2 front intakes and 2 blowholes (if you look at the charts, it says case temp maxed at 48. As for one of the readings being 0, it's not that. I watched it idle pretty much the whole time: I was reading an article on the internet. I considered it idling though since I didn't doing anything except scroll. And it's happened on numerous occasions, and the temp has never read 0. I'm not sure how to configure the sensors, because i'm not sure what they're all called in MBM and on the mobo. By the way, I'm using a Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra motherboard. I know it's crap but it's all I got right now.

On another note, just for kicks, I ran Prime95 for about 2 hours after posting this thread and when I came back to look at it, the system had locked up, but I had the charts that I took screenshots of above maximized so I could see what had happened to the temps even if it did freeze. According to it, the CPU temp had peaked at 86 celcius. I thought that was kinda crazy. I didn't pay a whole lot more attention, but I think the CPU average was about 68 or 69.

I definitely need some more case cooling.

Guderian said:
I have had my case temp equal to or higher than my diode temp on numerous occasions. usually when blowing cool air into my case through radiator, and the poor airflow in the case. The cpu would get down to 39 and the case would be around 42...

of course we both know the whole case isnt really that hot... just the location of the sensor. but all things considered.... I is possible to have an accurate (read:Correct sensor selection) readout with mbm5 where the case is higher than the diode.

ok well i was refering to air cooling. because no air heatsink can get temps below the temps around it...

Back