• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this RAM upgrade worth it!! 4GB --> 8GB whats the speed increase!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2C@nts4U

:bang head:bang head:bang head OK, after :bang head I still don't know what RAM to use, is there a difference in speed (NOTICABLE if any)!!! I have the RAM below in my rig now!! I want to know if I go to 8GB if it its worth it or not (OS Vitsa 64bit) money not an issue!!!

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
Timing 5-5-5-15
Cas Latency 5
Voltage: 2.0V - 2.1V

vs

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Timing 5-5-5-15
Cas Latency 5
Voltage: 1.9V

vs

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
Timing 6-6-6-18
Cas Latency 6
Voltage: 1.8V

or will this RAM even work on my MoBo (ASUS M4A79T-Deluxe)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
Timing 7-7-7-18
Cas Latency 7
Voltage: 1.5V

Its only noticeable if you are maxing out your current 4GB. If you are not, there will be no performance increase at all.

So, is there no speed, performance difference, from DDR2 1066 (4gb) vs DDR2 800 (8gb) I know theres more ram but I would rather have 4gb (2x2) twice the speed vs 8gb (2x4)slow unless the more ram gives you better speed, gaming, video buffering, mutli tasking programs, due to more ram!!

RAM speed can be ignored for all practical purposes. Additional RAM quantity might make a difference, though. My laptop has 4GB, and the OS uses 3GB for caching. If I had 8GB, it would cache more. If you look in task manager, and you see around 3GB cached, then more RAM would be useful.

Your board is DDR2. DDR3 RAM wouldn't work.

DDR2 and DDR3 are not interchangeable. They're keyed differently. If that's really the board you're running, you have DDR3, not DDR2 as your first post says. DDR2 will not work in that board.

To answer the original question - as others have indicated NO you will not see a tangible performance increase just by adding more RAM unless you use programs that require more than 4 Gb. such as photo/video editing, CAD, etc. In my testing, for most applications you are not likely to see any noticable system performance difference with faster RAM latencies or a change from 800 Mhz. to 1066 Mhz. either. These are very small changes in the grand scheme of how your PC system operates.

According to 3DMark 06 there was less than a 1% performance increase when I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB.

According to 3DMark 06 there was less than a 1% performance increase when I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB.

Did you really expect a benchmark boost from extra RAM? More RAM allows you to load more applications, and allows the OS to make that loading quicker, by loading it before you even click on it. It won't magically make your CPU faster. Not everybody actually runs enough to keep the cache full, and for them, additional RAM is mostly useless.

If you use the extra RAM and disable your page file, yes, it'll speed up some, but not much.

If you don't max it out now, there's not much point. If you want to go ahead and spend the money and run without a page file, go for it. It does speed it up some. With some games it'll be a lot.

I wouldnt bother upgrading any ddr2 systems as ddr2 memory is so expensive right now (compared to ddr3) , best to save the money for when you eventualy go ddr3 , or buy an ssd

The only real advantage in the faster ram is if you plan on overclocking the ram as well as the processor, the faster speed and lower timing ram will allow you to run the ram at higher timings but at a much faster rate, and in some cases you can get by with tight or lower timings..but the debate about timing vs raw ram speed is still going on asfaik.

That is one thing I like about this old P35 chipset of mine...it takes ddr2 and ddr3..just not at the same time.

Going from 4 to 6 or 8 can save your drives and save power also. A 2 gig system is rotten as far as normal usage and can be a drain 24/7 DC. Over 4 generally allows the hard disks to stop and this is good. Until you get the delays from disk start up it will feel faster but wont get anything done much faster..

Back