• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Total Upgrade ASUS P6T (i7-920/6GB) to (X5675/24GB) - RAM Question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePrez

Hello,

After almost 10 years i want to upgrade my old ASUS P6T / X58 System! :)

After some research I found

- used CPU (X5675 for 30 €)
- used cpu-air-cooler (212X for 25 €)
- used 6 x 4 GB / 24 GB Server Ram (20 €)
- used GTX 1070 (100 €)

My problem, i do not know if this RAM below is 100% working and compatible with my system. Before i order it, I could need some help/advise. :confused:

Technical Specifications for MT18KSF51272PZ-1G4M1FE

Manufacturer Micron
Manufacturer Part # MT18KSF51272PZ-1G4M1FE
Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
Capacity 4GB
Data Transfer Rate 1333Mhz
Pins 240 Pin
Bus Type PC-10600
Error Correction Registered ECC
Cycle Time 1.5ns
Cas CL9
Memory Clock 166Mhz
Rank Rank 1
Voltage 1.35

866_-903880139.jpg

Thank you very much in advance!

ThePrez

My advice is to save money up for a proper upgrade. Moving to 6c/12t on that platform won't help much. It is clockspeed and IPC you are after as well as more c/t. That GTX 1070 will be held back a couple % by the PCIe 2.0 slot and the slower CPU (assuming you game at 1080p). It will still product plenty of FPS, just know there is a glass ceiling on it).

That said, we can't tell you if the RAM is working, the seller should know that. I would check the mobo manual and see if it supports the processor and the ECC registered memory... I don't think it handles ECC...not sure on the Xeon.......

Last edited:
Thank you for your quick reply!

I agree, but my biggest fear would immediately come true: i really do not want/intend to fresh install a more than 10 year old system. Mine is running fine, almost flawless and switching to a newer system would cost me triple the money.

I read a lot of updating an X58 architecture and it can boost my old rig with some OC'ing into new spheres - even playing the latest games in FHD is not a problem at all.

Normally an ASUS P6T does not support ECC memory nor a XEON X56xx series CPU, but it works.

I mean, the upgrade will help a bit (on things that use more than 4c/8t), but it's still a 9 year old platform with much lower IPC and clocks...it just won't do much, really. I get that it costs more to upgrade.... I would simply save for it instead of putting money into this platform (GPU upgrade, sure)...especially when it is primarily for gaming. But you can get a 6c/12t AMD processor, X570 board and DDR4 for well under $500 and it will be leaps and bounds faster at 1080p/FHD gaming. For example: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb...o.3954601&Description=R5 3600x&quicklink=true
You can even go cheaper on the board and get under $450..

Normally it doesn't, but it works...........how? What is the process to get it to work? A modified/different BIOS? If you look at the manual, it specifically says the board does not support ECC memory. I did not look at the CPU list.

Last edited:
What would you like to do with your rig?
I've upgraded my i7 920 to x5670 out of uber cheapility(17usd), but any modern gaming or media work will likely suffer due to age of platform regardless of being 6c12t.

Hey!

I'm still using one of those as well and have built several xeon rigs for people needing a good rig for a -very- low budget.

As for your question and from my experience, the only way to be sure about the ram is to try... the platform is very finicky about that. I've used mismatched brands/size sticks with success and specially made kits with complete failure. Nobody has tested every type of ram and nobody ever will (especially exotic use of ecc ram on a non workstation mb) and even if you get a kit that worked on another system it might not on yours^^

You're almost certain to encounter troubles so:
- The problem is not really populating all the slots but mostly the quantity of ram. Above 12 it gets a bit wild for some reason. Most likely a mix of traces, power and controller not working well on hardware that was never meant to meet.
- I have noticed that if you populate all slots, it might be needed to slam the voltage to 1.6-1.64 (or a bit under, just test) or the system won't even boot. It's quite safe, I've done this on machines used to do heavy stuff without any problem for years.
- You're also likely to have undetected ram issues and I've found that it's usually solved by lowering the ram frequency and perfs, the voltage seems to have zero effect on that. So to avoid most problems when I need to put 24gb I get a 5680 because of the higher CPU multiplier that allows lower frequencies (the 5690 is way too expensive). Then maybe you can cut the timings a bit to compensate. Note that the max multiplier is the turbo so it won't really work even if it shows the proper frequency, you have to set it one step below max at least to really be able to use the overclock.
- But it can also just not work and then for some reason after fiddling, it will. It's a real pain. I have in front of me a perfectly tested and functionnal set of 6*4gb non ecc that worked fine on a machine for 3 years and after a cleanup the board don't want anything to do with it anymore. Same ram, same slot. Sad.
- 2Rx4 ram is an absolute no go, be careful when buying.
- ECC is fine only if you end up buying a xeon. Technically the memory controller can handle 48gb, the manual states otherwise because they didn't intend people to put a xeon on it. Dual xeon 56xx server can handle 96gb no problem. I've never tried because of the pain it already is to get 24gb to work.

The 1070 is plenty enough for such a rig but get a Ti or get a 970/980 if you can't find one. They're much bigger and more power hungry but you'll get a close gaming experience. I use mine mostly for some graphic work but without maxing everything like a madman, I can also enjoy any game on a x5650 @4.3 air with a gtx770 4gb. It's a very good system still for that kind of money and age.

Don't bother upgrading this dinosaur unless you overclock it (it's the last xeon generation that allows this so you should use it :p ). On basic air cooling, you can at least squeeze 3.8-4.1ghz with real ease on all cores with HT enabled even with entry cpu like the i7 920 / x5650. Probably 4.3-4.5 on a x5680. It's a world of difference from stock!
If you don't and if you're mostly gaming, then the 2 cores won't be of much difference. Resale value of X58 mb is pretty high, so consider this in your upgrade budget. Without oc it's very much wasted money and hassle regarding the ram issues.
If money is the main argument, I'd go for 12-16gb of non-ecc ram and overclock of the current cpu, if you haven't. Those 2 things will feel like a really good upgrade. Stock 920 is very meh nowadays and I have no idea how you lasted so long with 6gb on such a rig^^ Maybe throw in a used sata ssd for your games and stuff, it's cheap and will make your life nicer. If you don't mind spending more, the xeon run much cooler on overclock so that's always good and a 3650 will probably do. They will work with non-ecc but don't mix ecc and non-ecc.

Good luck!

Last edited:
The 1070 will be useless on that system. You'll encounter:

1. CPU Bottleneck
2. RAM Bottleneck
3. MB bottleneck...

All that stuff is from a different era. You might as well get a 570gtx or at most a 960gtx.

Back