• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED ASUS P6T Deluxe v1 with 48GB RAM - WORKING!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In case someone is interested - Asus P6X58D Premium and Asus Rampage II Extreme work with these 2rx8 4gb Ecc registered sticks. It didn't work with 2rx4 though. I'm using Xeon X5670 and latest bios.

20210528_134458.jpg

I had to retire my ASUS P6T Deluxe v1 / X5680.

Not because I had issues with it, but because AVX isn't supported.

I already have problems with X299 as even 7800X heats up much more than newer CPUs and is slower comparing core to core. It's literally like Ryzen 4650G with double the wattage. I'm somehow sad as I have great X299 motherboards which are nearly impossible to sell.

Btw. on Rampage III Extreme, every DDR3 that I was testing, was working fine. With ECC is just a rule that it has to be unbuffered and should work. All other kits work if there is the latest BIOS. The same BIOS generations were for probably all ASUS motherboards.

Hi guys.
Yes this is somewhat old news (old hardware at least) - I just needed somewhere to write about my "findings".

MB: ASUS P6T Deluxe v1 (x58 chipset)
CPU: Xeon x5680 (LGA1366)
RAM: 6x 8GB (M392B1G73BH0-YH9 - IBM part number: 47J0210 - IBM fru: 00D4987)

These DIMMs are Registered (Buffered) and with ECC.

As long as the DIMMs are DDR3; 2Rx8; Max memory chip size 512MB; Supports 1.5V you should be good to go. Also, you MAY want to upgrade to the latest official BIOS version from ASUS website.
If the above link does not work, try searching for "P6T Deluxe" on their website instead.
Also, according to the manual the P6T does not support memory chip sizes below 128MB.

ECC is not enabled since the motherboard does not support this.
I think it's the memory controller in the Xeon that makes it possible to utilize this amount of memory. So if you have an old i7 CPU installed, I'm not sure it will work.

BUT - 48GB on a "max" 24GB motherboard... And it's working! :clap::muahaha:

View attachment 197199
View attachment 197200
Can confirm the Asus P6T Deluxe v1 does allow 48GB of 2Rx8gb ram with a Xeon x5680. Been running my rig since 2009 with an i7 -920@24gb and very happy to see the performance increase of my "new" upgrade! And the parts cost less than $100.

Attachments

• xeon48gb.png
    xeon48gb.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 4
Back