• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Overclock Intel xeon x5680 on ASUS P6T Deluxe v1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, uh..:shrug: I dunno :D I just read through little bit yesterday and felt it is my duty to apply ultra x58 knowledge.

Hopefully you didn't run 1.9 qpi/dram? Btw, that voltage is also referred to as VTT.

No no..

Vcore and QPI/DRAM (VTT) are fixed at 1.4V
I have been trying various combinations of BCLK and Multiplier
Every combination I have tried CPU PLL have been at 1.80, 1.86 and 1.92

Would just LOVE to get that x5690 running 4.6GHz @ 1.4 Vcore... But I don't think it's possible.

Maybe it's too much to ask for from that cheep.
I have 1.35vcore and it's 4.2ghz, from there on out, it's a very steep climb.

My overclocks seem to require more voltage than they used to. I’m guessing it’s all the intel mitigation’s at play here. [email protected] is a rarity, but you never know. I think I’m done with Xeons, I’m going to get a Gulftown.

Hi guys, first post :sn:
Well - I've been thinking about overclocking my good old x5680 for quite a while now. It has served me well over the years and I hope it will keep on doing so in the future.
I don't want to break anything and to me stability is more important than speed. But I do like speed!!! Like it a lot :D - Just don't want to kill anything. I have a water cooler installed, so I know I can push the CPU a bit harder that the standard 3.3GHz.

The thing is, that I don't know where/how to begin - And that's where you guys come in.

Specs:
Intel xeon x5680
ASUS P6T Deluxe v1
24GB Kingston KVR13N9S8H/4
Seasonic SS-860XP^2 PSU
Water cooler

Hope you can help me!

[Final edit]
Here are my "final" BIOS settings.
CPU Ratio Setting (Multiplier): x21
BCLK Frequency: 210
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1263MHz (normal 1333MHz)
UCLK Frequency: 2526MHz (x2 DRAM)
CPU Voltage (vcore): 1.38125V
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.80V
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.27500V

[Ultra final edit] - After I started this thread my username has been changed from "Dead_Donkey" to "MuHcOw".
Also I have added more RAM (48GB in total) to my old P6T motherboard, but that's another story.
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/789056-ASUS-P6T-Deluxe-v1-with-48GB-RAM-WORKING!

[The even more final edit] - The above overclock have been working without any issues at all for a very long time!! - But now I have gotten hold of two Xeon x5690 CPUs... :cool: ...And I just HAVE to try them out.
So I'm "rebooting" this thread - Hope that's OKAY !!

I made a spreadsheet to help locate "sweet spots"... Maybe you can put it to good use if you have a CPU/MB that resembles mine. Please see attachment.
View attachment 208562

im very excited to see someone still in 2020 using and upgrading a p6t 1366 build... i have a

p6t se
im waiting on a i7 970 core currently on a i7 950
18gb ram
xfx radeon 5770 (super old i know)
samsung evo 1tb ssd

i build it 11 years ago aor so and has never given me any problems still keeps on with stuff... i was debating either retiring it or just building a new one... im also wanting to add 16gb ram on top of the 18 it currently has... good luck on over clocking... !

Xeon will be greatly intense on your build. Cheap and 6 cores!

Absolutely true! The X5690 isn't required. I have ran a ton of these and most go around 4.2GHz tops for daily use. It's still a huge bump over the older 4 core CPUs. I would suggest at least an X5660. A W3680 is an inexpensive solution as well, but I prefer the X56xx series.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/101/Intel_Core_i7_i7-970_vs_Intel_Xeon_X5690.html

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

X5670 for $23 including shipping

I paid about 650 USD for mine shipped :D

I'm looking at a W3670 right now for about 35 bucks so I can play with all of my old ram, and this ES was never good with a lot of memory anyways.

I thought the only advantage of x series over w was the ability to run dual socket config. Two QPI vs one in w.
Well, and x having lower tdp. 95 vs 130.
Well, and also higher temp limit. And x having more ram limit..
Btw, speaking of temp limits, it appears both CPU have no thermal monitoring feature, so it should melt dwn without any issues? Yet mine throttles like clockwerk. I'm guessing its mobo controlled, eh lads?

I thought the only advantage of x series over w was the ability to run dual socket config. Two QPI vs one in w.
Btw, speaking of temp limits, it appears both CPU have no thermal monitoring feature, so it should melt dwn without any issues? Yet mine throttles like clockwerk. I'm guessing its mobo controlled, eh lads?

I didn't realise I linked a ES sample, that was not my intent.

The Xeon X56xx supports more RAM, but honestly, when the original i7 9xx came out there were no 8GB modules, so that 24GB isn't real.

X56xx has a higher temp limit and slightly lower vcore (-0.025v). There are some other misc features that may not matter, but 6 cores is definitely a plus vs. 4 cores.

Yes, QPI being the only real difference.
My X is 130w TDP so..
Ram is not a big deal, I'm not a "content creator"
I cant say about the throttling, I have that turned off, it just restarts or crashes or both.

The W3680 I'm looking at is a 6 core like what we have, except you get all of your memory dividers, so you can run fast ram.. fast.

That is correct, x5675 is the last one to have 95w TDP. Anything above has 130w, and W series.

So I was using bios 0902 for years.. such a crap bios I’ve had nothing but problems with it. I forgot my board had two bioses lol.. first one has 0702. After I pushed the button and cleared the cmos it’s been smooth sailing. I am running 3x2gb of my super talents, 2x4gb of some red ripjaws, and a stick of gskill perfect storm. Fan****ingtastic. Running some linpack xtreme right now at 4300mhz and it’s pulling 460w. Such a pig.

Edit:

I just wanted to see if the cooler could handle 4400. The voltage I have to use is what I used to use for 4500. Not sure if its from mitigations, or nearly a decade of abuse.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
For the Asus p6t deluxe motherboard. I see that it looks like you can see 4 dim for triple channel according to manual. Does anyone know how this works? I see some of you posts with random amounts of installed ram. Are you guys running in triple channel?

I'm running mine in dual channel at the moment 4gb x2 sticks. I also have triple channel kit.(3x1gb).
In dual channel mode, you have quicker latency, but bandwidth isn't as impressive.

Back