• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this too much for an i7 950?? QPI too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Holton0289

Registered
I had a problem with a comp. I had built. My i7 950 way running at i7 920 speeds. I took it back and asked them to fix it. When I got it up and running I saw it was now running faster than an i7 950. The QPI is really high from what I read. Can anyone verify this is ok.

i7950.jpg i7950-1.jpg

That screenshot has me totally confused. It says it is a 920, but it also says 950. It is running at 920 speeds OC'd it looks like. A 950 should have a 23x multiplier, not a 20x. It looks like they have it running at 20x with a 160 BCLK instead of a 950 at 23x with a 133 BCLK.

Yea, I was the same way. I was actually really hot that they scammed me. But when I took it back up there the took the CPu cooler off and showed me it was a 950. They changed the mult up to 23 and it then said it was a 950. Why I dont know

But what i really dont know is why the have the mult at 20 and the QPI jacked way up. I was reading a guide saying it was safe to bump it up to 175 or so, I chacked mine and saw it was WAY up there.

It is a known cpuz bug that when you drop the multi to 20 on a i950, it reads at top i920. It does the same on my i950.

Your qpi is fine, they have it on the lowest setting 18x. But qpi is 18 x base clock. They likely increased your base clock to 160, so your ram would run at stock setting of 1600mhz, like your is. To do so they set your uncore at 20x, hence your NB frequency is ~3200 and your mem multi at 10x, so your memory is running at 1600mhz. Then they decreased your multi to 20x, to bring cpu back to near normal stock speed, though it is still running ~200mhz over stock.

Those settings are fine. My qpi is 3456mhz, 18x192. But you could raise the multi if you want to OC.

If you go back to all stock settings with the multi on 23, your ram will run at slower 1066mhz, instead of stock 1600mhz for your ram, though you can run different mem multi and uncore multis, but they just got your mem at stock by increase bclk.

Back