• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is undervolting a bad thing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I figured that much :p.

Shoulda shelled out that extra $5 :cool:.... bothways i got mine on a really good deal for 40 dollars so when I got them they were cheaper than the red version with a CAS rating of 9 clocks.

Same here I can't stand blue lol, but on my case has blue LED... >.<.. and red/black mobo kinda conflicted, going for a new full size case thought :D thats all black and red and I won't even be able to see the ram!

You can always dismount the heat spreaders anyway if you don't like them. Doesn't effect it if you're not over clocking and your temperatures are good.

Just for example of some of the stuff I do.

My Phenom II X6 1100T had a default ViD of 1.275v @ 3300mhz, and I ran it at 1.232v @ 3600mhz

My FX-4100 has a default ViD of 1.325v @ 3600mhz, I run it at 1.132v @ 3600mhz most of the time, up to 1.235 @ 4000mhz.

No secrets here, just mess around with it till I find the lowest things will go. Spend some time testing and you will find the lowest voltages you can use for any clock speed.

FX-4100 ULV
CPU 3600mhz @ 1.132v in bios (1.144 @ 0% LLC)
NB 2000mhz @ 1.125v
Dram 1866 @ 1.5v
load1-14vs.png

FX-4100 LV
CPU 4000mhz @ 1.275v in bios (1.248 @ 25% LLC)
NB 2000mhz @ 1.100v
Dram 1333 @ 1.3v
4ghztemp.png

1100T ULV
CPU 3624mhz @ 1.232v
NB 2617mhz @ 1.15v
Dram 1333 @ 1.3v
3624.png

Lastly the highest of my low volt OC's on my 1100T
CPU 3825mhz @ 1.28v
NB 2818mhz @ 1.2v
Dram 1600 @ 1.48v
higher.png

Last edited:
The 1100T is decent.
The 4100 is super awesome, you are lucky with that chip. I had an 8150 here that wouldn't run stock 3.6 @ stock voltage. (1.275v) However was good for 4.6 on water...RMA'ed it, AMD can't get away with binning that tight for TDP purposes...

If they can do it. Why not? Lol.

I could go buy a bag of chips, eat half of them, claim I don't like them, return the rest and get refunded, then buy another bag and end up getting half a bag for free, but I don't, because it's an ******* thing to do.

Truth. I'm not saying I'd do it.. If I did; I'd probably return my 2500k just cos it requires more than 1.3v to hit 4.5ghz going by the logic here. :\. Not that I particularly care. I'm not endorsing it; just sayin I guess they can do it cos the option is there... :\

the one guy said his wouldnt run the stock speeds at the default voltage, id send it back too

the one guy said his wouldnt run the stock speeds at the default voltage, id send it back too

Ya that's fair enough. I guess. But depends what the default voltage was. If the motherboard was defaulting the voltage too low.. Then it's not necessarily the chips fault. Plus each chip has a 'range' it will tend to run with. Not every chips 'default' voltage is the same for the stock clocks. Sooo again... Not necessarily a valid point.

The motherboard will follow AMD's specs if everything is at default. Unless the motherboard itself is dead that's a perfectly valid reason to RMA the chip.

Not OCing... Less so.

The motherboard will follow AMD's specs if everything is at default. Unless the motherboard itself is dead that's a perfectly valid reason to RMA the chip.

Not OCing... Less so.

Assuming the board is running a chip it fully recognizes. Was more considering the idea/possibility the bios was an older bios version that may have only just been updated for that particular CPU; so it's voltage might have been off? I remember my Asus M2N68 something board was putting through too much voltage by default on my x3 720; even though that bios 'officially' supported that cpu.

I've RMAed one chip with AMD before. It was an Opteron 180, and it would not post beyond -40c

AMD was more then happy to RMA it, they love good publicity.

Ha well there is always that, if you're 100% honest with 'em and they still RMA it, no problem there :D

Back