• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is W/C for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Makes bleeding easier. Don't NEED one though.

I have a TDX on my X2 3800 @ 2700 and it never goes above 35 loaded....

Cooling my 7900GS also..

rgr

here's what i have so far

D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock $65
Black ICE Pro II Radiator $35
DD12V-D5 Pump Variable Speed $90
NEXUS REAL SILENT CASE FAN D12SL-12 X2 $30
Tubing $10
Coolant $20
=====================================
Total $250

ouch! guess i should start saving my money!

Once you have 100 posts you can get things used from the Classies . very good deals in that section .

well, ok, so now this post makes 18....i guess i should go non-spamming other forums in ocforums...:beer:

||Console|| said:
Once you have 100 posts you can get things used from the Classies . very good deals in that section .

i have been trying to find where i can see my post count... is there a place in my user cp? or is each of those stars 25 posts?

not trying to hijack the thread

also...

you could go with a 2 t-line or a res... i have a kit and it works well for me the aquastar as-3000...

but the reason you would need two t-lines is for one at the top and bottom for draining (top and bottom open) or purging air from the system (air gathers at the top andthen you just add fluid) i believe

find your post count in your public profile area...ok, once i hit 100 posts, will a new forum appear called "Classies" or "Classifieds" or something like that? b/c right now, i don't see that forum anywhere.

Lark-ICE- said:
here's what i have so far

D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock $65
Black ICE Pro II Radiator $35
DD12V-D5 Pump Variable Speed $90
NEXUS REAL SILENT CASE FAN D12SL-12 X2 $30
Tubing $10
Coolant $20
=====================================
Total $250

Few things:

-With quiet fans a MCR-220 or GT Stealth 240 would be more effective, but that isn't that big of a deal if you are looking to save the money.

-That D5 pump is going to be annoying if you are sensitive about noise, and will well outstep the noise of those 120's, also $90 is an insane price for that pump. As posted before I would recommend a DDC-2 or DDC-1 (Quieter but sighly less performance.) Many of the mod shops sell replacement tops that vastly improve the performance of these pumps, and allow them to be used in 1/2" ID loops. This is the pump, the DDC-2 model, what I did was grab one for a good deal used from the classifieds and then bought this top. The other popular top is from Alphacool, which looks like this. Of course you can save yourself some money and follow some of the guides to making your own top if you really wanna get into modding.

-Those nexus fans are basically rebadged Yate Loons, and are so similar that its sort of silly to buy them at 15 bucks a pop, especially when they can be had for $3.40 each. The model number is the same but the manufacturer is "Yate Loon"

-Hit up your local auto parts store and get a small thing of antifreeze, I use pentosin G11. This should be cheap as you wont need much, I've had this 1.5 liter bottle through 4 or 5 drains and I'm not even halfway through it. I would suggest also that you stop by a aquarium supply or pet store and get some algaecide, a few drops of that and a 5% or 10% addition of antifreeze with grocery store distilled is all you will need, much less than $20 total.

thideras said:
Another thing to consider, ambient temp doesn't affect it as much. I just ran my system last night (in sig) with no fans running on the radiator (software contolled) for 30 mins, under full load. The CPU capped out at 60c at 3.2ghz after running for 30 mins full out. I measured the fluid temp in excess of 120f! And it was still cooling that good!

Ambient temp does matter if you live in like 15 deg and I live in like 35 deg, who is goin to be better off?? At 15 deg ambient temp air cooling might actually beat water setup with 35 deg ambient temps!

I can run my system (4 water blocks) without fans for about 3 h. But I have like 6 litres of water in my loop. The more water you pour into the the kettle the longer it takes to boil....

I say if he already has "high end air"... and he is happy with his OC just leave it alone... How much more you can push that CPU with water? You might have to consider water cooling is not just preformance and cost it can be for "sport" and "fun".

Last edited:
Mycobacteria said:
You might have to consider water cooling is not just preformance and cost it can be for "sport" and "fun".

This is a very good point. I can tell you unequivocally that watercooling is NOT cost effective. It is so far outside the ballpark of being cost effective as to almost be ludicrous. However it is a lot more fun, many times more gratifying, and much cooler :rolleyes:

It is a better way to run a system hands down, but if you purely want cooling as a function of price, stick with high end air. The reason I watercool includes those three above, but more than anything it is the silence. For me, I really could care less about the added expense, because a high end air setup screaming, or even a zalman with a lower cfm fan just drives me slowly insane. But thats just me, if you are happy with your current high end air cooling, you more than likely can take the sound, so this silence thing might not be as big of a draw.

it is becoming a challenge for me know. i have come to realize that i wouldn't be gaining much out of the water cooling setup above what i am already getting.

my motives have changed to that of having a system/setup I can be proud of and brag about to my friends. AND i'm really looking forward to a quite computer. presently i have 1x120mm and 5x80mm in my case and it gets tiresome. with the water cooling setup, i would be able to get rid of most of those fans...:bday:

Lark-ICE- said:
it is becoming a challenge for me know. i have come to realize that i wouldn't be gaining much out of the water cooling setup above what i am already getting.

my motives have changed to that of having a system/setup I can be proud of and brag about to my friends. AND i'm really looking forward to a quite computer. presently i have 1x120mm and 5x80mm in my case and it gets tiresome. with the water cooling setup, i would be able to get rid of most of those fans...:bday:

You would gain a lot in the way of cooling and noise. Again as stated before the " coolness " factor is great. Plus it is a blast. You can get creative and make it look like something. I say go for it. You will have to invest some money and time, but the self end result will be very rewarding if you take your time.

well, i just finished building a website for $360 and so I spent $40 on a Black ICE Pro II radiator...now I have to get the other pieces one at a time.

I'm still not sure about the pump to get. I'd like to get one of the quietest pumps out there, but something that can handle a gpu block if added later.
can someone give me a list and links, pleeeeaaaassssseeeee:santa:

Okay, here's your list:
Laing DDC-1/Swiftech MCP350
http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCP350-12-VDC-Pump-pr-2611.html

It has enough head to deal with a GPU block, especially if you go with a Mace4, Maze5, or MCW60 instead of one of the more expensive, higher restriction, full coverage blocks. With a modified or aftermarket top, flow rates are improved dramatically. You don't actually need to mod the top to run 1/2" tubing, though. There are adaptors for this.

If you decide later you wish you'd gone with the more powerful but slightly louder and higher-pitched DDC-2, all you have to do is make one solder bridge. They're actually the same pump now except for that.

Ok, I've purchased a Radiator. I got a black ICE pro II (2x120), and I got a d-tek fuzion universal cpu waterblock

my next purchase (when i get some more $$) will be a pump, now i will have to do some major case modding to the things to fit AND look good. so space is a high commodity. I will only use the pump on my cpu, not the vga.

so any suggestions for a small, quiet and effecient pump that is a 12v connection to the powersupply? those of you with experience please reply with suggestions. the pump will be tucked away out of site.

i am also interested in hearing your experiences with drive bay type reseviours.

For your Res, I'd look into the swiftech Micro-res. It has a very small footprint and can be mounted vrtually anywhere. Apparently it also makes bleeding easier.

Back