• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is your ISP throttling your connection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ha_hA_HA!

Google intends to help you find out!

"Google Inc on Wednesday unveiled a plan aimed at eventually letting computer users determine whether providers like Comcast Corp are inappropriately blocking or slowing their work online.

The scheme is the latest bid in the debate over network neutrality, which pits content companies like Google against some Internet service providers."

Check out the link for the full article.

thank god. my isp Road Runner is DEFINITELY throttling my connection. sometimes i see 10mb download speeds, other times, i can't even browse the internet if i even have even a slow downloading going (slow as in 30kb/s).

i keep trying to contact them about it, but they claim there is nothing wrong with bandwidth or signal quality. those ********...

I have RR and they are not. When I do on a spree I can keep it pegged at the full 7Mb/s for a couple of days at a time. But my monthly usage usually falls between 100-200GB's. Occasionally I'll hit 300.

Great read. One thing that caused me to sit down was reading an article (I don't know where it is now) about AOL/Time Warner forcing pricing based on the amount of data that goes through the pipe. WTF is that about! If everyone did that, I think that would be the end of the internet. If you went over it they would throttle your network connection down so much that you would just want to wait till the next month when you can get "normal" speeds again.

Great read. One thing that caused me to sit down was reading an article (I don't know where it is now) about AOL/Time Warner forcing pricing based on the amount of data that goes through the pipe. WTF is that about! If everyone did that, I think that would be the end of the internet. If you went over it they would throttle your network connection down so much that you would just want to wait till the next month when you can get "normal" speeds again.

Its coming. One company, I believe Cox, already has a cut-off at 250GB. As more users start streaming HD and other media the pipes are going to get clogged. Until more companies start investing in fiber to the home or other technologies to increase available bandwidth things are only going to get worse. TW is going to hang onto to coax until the end.

thank god. my isp Road Runner is DEFINITELY throttling my connection. sometimes i see 10mb download speeds, other times, i can't even browse the internet if i even have even a slow downloading going (slow as in 30kb/s).

i keep trying to contact them about it, but they claim there is nothing wrong with bandwidth or signal quality. those ********...

well you cant say for sure if this is throttling.. pending what you are doing.

your ISP does not garuntee ANY speeds, they can give you UP to the speed they advertise and once you leave their network, it isnt their problem, they always hold to this story.

it could be an overloaded switch, it could be anything, but as long as the speed test they use, on their network, show the speeds, you are SOL, which is dam annoying!

I just wonder how google will do this, i am sure ISP could easily enough set up system to detect if something is coming from google and just open up the bandwidth.

Pay as you go is being tested, the things is, most people would fine with it, most people dont stream HD, download torrents and game all day and night, so for them this would be good, it is the heavy users that are likely to get screwed, then why have an ISP if we are basically going to pay the rates the ISP should be.... Also, who pas for all the spam, and ad's on websites, i dont want to see them, why should i pay for every byte that comes in.

Pay as you go is being tested, the things is, most people would fine with it, most people dont stream HD, download torrents and game all day and night, so for them this would be good, it is the heavy users that are likely to get screwed, then why have an ISP if we are basically going to pay the rates the ISP should be.... Also, who pas for all the spam, and ad's on websites, i dont want to see them, why should i pay for every byte that comes in.

CRAP YEAH! I just hope that they give us the ability to pick if we want the pay as we go or the flat out part.

but thats what they want, and they'll charge you accordingly, which is no good. Do u want to end up with a $100 internet bill?

I know I'm with videotron here, and its about 40/month for 7.1/768 pipe with download limits of 20/10, its been this way for years, and anything over is $7/gig up to a max of $35 I believe. It sucks but there are no unlimited providers here anymore.

Nick

$7 a gig! That's crazy. So basically it amounts to $75 a month for unlimited, almost double what TW charges. Metered is coming, it may be a while but its coming.

Its coming. One company, I believe Cox, already has a cut-off at 250GB. As more users start streaming HD and other media the pipes are going to get clogged. Until more companies start investing in fiber to the home or other technologies to increase available bandwidth things are only going to get worse. TW is going to hang onto to coax until the end.

It's comcast capping it, actually. Well, Cox may be too, but as far as I am currently aware Comcast is the only one with the 250gb cap. I hit 230gb within my first month with comcast and got a call warning me against it and I was warned that if during any following months I exceed their 250gb cap I will have my service terminated with them for 1 year. And it's in their T&C. =(

I'll let you know what TW current status is on this late this month. I am going to bypass the 250GB barrier for that sole purpose, just to see what they do.

How FUBAR!!! This thread made me research my own internet provider, At&t and this is what I found.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/More-Specifics-On-ATTs-Cap-Plans-98907

If you thought the 250gb cap was bad, the highest tier At&t service in Reno, NV only gets a max 150gb.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1366636~b713161869060c1a7ce8f87229f62ffb/attcap.png

This really makes NO SENSE!!! I thought as technology progressed, internet should be cheaper and, dare I say....eventually free, as long as consumers help pay for some of the necessary upgrade costs. I pictured like a private satellite for every house or something in 100 years, but as for now, I'd put out the money to put in fiber optics in my house if that's what the internet company decided was best for their systems, and then they decide to do an all out flat low rate. Whats the point of all this development in HD, if no one is going to be able to utilize it except by going out and buying dead, restricted media? For instance, YouTube is going to h***. :/ The dl rates are the slowest they've ever been, and they just started restricting music that is copyrighted. I tried to listen to "Dead and gone" (lol, how appropriate for now) by T.I./JT and what actually played was something along the lines of elevator music.

Anyways, I currently have DSL pro, and by the way things are going, I'm just going to move to Nippon.

Last edited:
Comcast only says in public what their cap is because the FCC went after them, finally, but basically said they can either stop throttling protocols, or admit they havea 250G cap, they did the 250G cap, and i beleive they still throttle P2P and such, but now they say they do, they can do it legal cause the FCC is a bunch of panzies!

Comcast only says in public what their cap is because the FCC went after them, finally, but basically said they can either stop throttling protocols, or admit they havea 250G cap, they did the 250G cap, and i beleive they still throttle P2P and such, but now they say they do, they can do it legal cause the FCC is a bunch of panzies!
FCC challenged them a couple months back regarding throttling. Since then, I have had no issues with P2P sharing and they no longer seem to flood my modem with reset packets when I run utorrent :)

Im probably gonna get obducted by men in suits for this BUT....
it works like this:-
downstreaming is cheap to achieve
upstreaming means (expensive tackle)
so you get capped on the up so the cheap-skate swines can sell the remaining bandwidth on a tier basis at a lovely premium - its deacades old news that the average phonecall price is a sheer P**stake no reason to let up on newer technology right?

Im on 20MB cable and althoe I know for a fact there`s no one in the area on it besides me in the name of fair play they cap me and when im really naughty they cap me some more.

Im gonna go hide under the bed now DOH!
remember folks God smiles on all sinners who dont spread the image LOL
happy capping!
want more then you`ll have to go find the man in the wizard hat (not the black one!)
probably get loaded with spy wear if you stray off the yellow brick road come to think of it.
Luke not the darkside...
(oops reads back like a crazy nam vet LOL)

Last edited:
Verizon DSL just recently started goofing around with apps such as online gaming and utorrent.When I have utorrent open my connection will drop and as soon as i shut it down my connection will open up again.

does`nt the outgoing encryption thing work with them? worrying cos its just a matter of time for the rest of us if so.
actually the encryption on utorrent reduces the amount of connections it can manage but if there playing around then its better than what they`ll do to your speeds with the honest approach LOL

(you just killed my truth is out there post one above! I felt like Scully for a minute or two) - care to whistle that theme?

Last edited:
Back