• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iscsi problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
So I am trying to configure ISCSI on CentOS 5 (18-92.el5) and I am having all kinds of trouble.

I initially tried using the standard package iscsi-initiator-utils the problem is that it is lacking some functionality such as interface binding etc. so then I decided to build open-iscsi. There I also ran into problems making from source until I went with their RC3 source file and it built fine.

So thinking great, I went ahead and configured the client with a couple of simple configs

Code:
## iSCSId Target Configuration File
User benr

Target iqn.2008-10:server-1.disks
        User
        # Lun definition
        # (right now only block devices are possible)
        Lun 0 /dev/sdb
        # Alias name for this target
        Alias Test

but to my dismay I have hit several other dead ends and after googling all afternoon decided to post about it.

Code:
Starting iSCSI initiator service: FATAL: Error inserting ib_iser 
(/lib/modules/2.6.18-92.el5/kernel/drivers/infiniband/ulp/iser/ib_iser.ko): 
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

Setting up iSCSI targets: iscsiadm: No records found!

the reason that I went with openISCSI is because the utils with centos kicked out the no records error no matter what I did

It has to be something in my config, but everything I have found doesn't seem to indicate a problem. Perhaps I am missing some obscure dependency.

Anyone have any pointers?

Last edited:
How is your kernel configured? Did you enable all the necessary iscsi kernel options?

yes,
the kernel is as it should be. I have tripple checked that. As well as the dependecies matching the right kernel version

ok so I went ahead and did a fresh install and that seemed to have resolved some of my issues, in that now the target can see itself.

They cant see each other though, still trying to work through this

EDIT: not as resolved as I thought. still running into problems connecting. It must be a config problem somewhere...

resolved:

for those interested, the auto-generated script is garbage. In the readme it says only the adventureous create their own config files but this is what i ended up doing

i used the following

Code:
Continuous=no
ImmediateData=yes
MaxRecvDataSegmentLength=65536
FirstBurstLength=65536
MaxBurstLength=262144
HeaderDigest=prefer-on
DataDigest=prefer-on

IncomingUsername=iqn.1994-05.com.redhat:c31416c59dc
IncomingPassword=passwd
OutgoingUsername=iqn.1994-05.com.redhat:f4dd3df3333a
OutgoingPassword=target

DiscoveryAddress=192.168.20.169:3260
  TargetName=iqn.2008-10-1:disks
  IncomingUsername=iqn.1994-05.com.redhat:c31416c59dc
  IncomingPassword=passwd
  OutgoingUsername=iqn.1994-05.com.redhat:f4dd3df3333a
  OutgoingPassword=target

and this worked. Also really important to note that it doesnt seem to use the initiatorname.conf file
to find your name use

Code:
iscsi-iname
this was also probably part of my problem

Last edited:
Back