• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ISP to avoid...Frontier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

Ok so i have frontier and i have no other options to switch to another high speed ISP, but for those who do Dont get frontier
heres why

ok
so i was looking on their web site and i see their min speed is 6mb down
and i was like sweet! cause i have 1.5mb down i see its only $10 more so im thought thats not bad.
so im looking on their website for how to upgrade wtih calling someone cause they are normaly annoying to call.
so they dont really tell you if you can get the upgraded speed on their website..... thats... annoying.
so i called
the customer service lady was nice, she told me it would take aday for the new speed to apply with only one catch the tech ppl may refuse the upgrade because of load or something.. she was not too clear, so she told me IF they refuse it they will call me then she asked for my phone number. ok that was easy, super nice.
well i called on monday and it should have applyed tuesday because we got no call from Frontier which they said they would call if we could not get the upgraded speed which i got no call.
so today i called
the customer service lady (diff person) said hmmm thats odd it shows that you should get 6mbs speeds (which we are not). so she said i will tranfer you to technical service ok np.... waited....
technical service was.... well..... dumb.... she asked the normal questions acc number etc. she got to whats your name
i told her Blah Blah (blah is sub for real name)
she said Ok.....not the name on the account your name.....
i told her Blah Blah (same thing)
she said ok whats your name?
Blah Blah!
ok whats your name?
Blah Blah!!
she said Ok what your problem
told her the problem, then se told me we are out of range for the 6mb speeds
then i asked her why Both customer service lady told me that we could get 6mbs speed then she said your area only gets 1mbs ... what are you getting 1.5mbs..then she said thats odd your getting over... then i told her that when we 1st signed up we had 2 options 1.5 or 3.1 down
than she said thats not right... then i said well this is not gonig to affect my bill right if im not getting the upgraded speed she told me i will have to tranfer you to billing....waited...............
billing guys was worse then the tech person!
he said i cant understand you, i told him the other 2 ppl had no problem then he answered back well i am having a hard time hearing you....:facepalm:
then i asked a question and he answer it and then told me if i could call back because he Cant hear me.... he just replyed to my questions no problem. then he tryed talking over me after that i had it i just hung up before i throw my phone! over 1hour on the phone just to ask about a upgrade plan
note the 1st person i talked to took ~5mins max

sooo now i have to call back im sooo mad :mad:
wish i could get a better ISP

Depending on how far you are from the DSL servers you will not get the max speeds that you will often see advertised. Since the CS people don't usually know anything they won't hesitate to upsell someone since they make a commission on it. And usually the customers aren't smart enough to check the actual speeds.

Just as a note, I'm currently doing Frontier Tech support and I hear quite a few people who get upsold on speeds when they're too far from the servers on a regular basis.

And just a tip, freaking out and yelling or getting angry with CS or TS doesn't help anything. We deal with enough jackasses on a daily basis, so one less makes things go smoother.

no what annoys me is that the tech person was rude to me, called me a lier and then i asked her if it would affect my bill she told me to wait for a tranfer.
i dont yell at ppl, the billing guys phone was messed up and he tryed talking over me.
i going to call about making sure my bills right. but i dont like how they do business
thier website is messed up big time which is sad for a ISP.

and i do know about the max speeds for DSL servers im just annoyed they she lied and told me 1mbs was the fastest... because it is not. when we 1st signed up we had 2 options... we went for the slower one 1.5 but we could have gotten full 3.1 if we payed for it at the time.
i know they only offer 1mb now but on their website the min is 6mb.
anyway annoying to have to call them and make sure they did not change my account

Depending on how far you are from the DSL servers you will not get the max speeds that you will often see advertised. Since the CS people don't usually know anything they won't hesitate to upsell someone since they make a commission on it. And usually the customers aren't smart enough to check the actual speeds.

Just as a note, I'm currently doing Frontier Tech support and I hear quite a few people who get upsold on speeds when they're too far from the servers on a regular basis.

And just a tip, freaking out and yelling or getting angry with CS or TS doesn't help anything. We deal with enough jackasses on a daily basis, so one less makes things go smoother.
:thup:

Have you looked into any of the mobile carriers as an ISP? My 4G coverage is actually just as fast as my ISP DL (~12Mbps)

ya no 4g next to me :( the best we can get is DSL from them :(

Yeah, Frontier as AWFUL. For a while, it was my only option. They snuck a ton a various extra fees and upgrades randomly onto bills, on months during which I had NO contact with them, regarding upgrades or anything else. The service was bad, but the customer service is what makes them especially awful. I'll never use them again.

+1 to what moocow said.

We almost ended up getting frontier here since it's cheap, but I'm glad we went with cable internet.
Neighbor has their lite speed....sooo slow. Even their faster tiers aren't that great.

There are no good cable or dsl providers. The entire industry is full of turds coming up with new ways to rob you every month. But at least with cable, you might as well enjoy faster speeds while dealing with them.

Hey guys! I am also a tech support rep for frontier

As far as speed goes, there's zero communication between the field techs and CS/TS reps. A field tech goes to your house and only that person can determine what speed you can get, usually based on your distance from the central office. Frontier loves to give people in the boonies internet, and typically they don't have another option.

Last edited:

You deal with jackasses because of the incompetent people who work at your company, want less jackasses? hire competent people and respect your customers.

^1+
ya they are overcharging me infact i have to call them today
very annoyed at this company

they'll work with you on a credit for sure. No need to make false threats.

i called and the billing person has to look into it because last time i called they just put a credit on my account but did not change back to the old price
will be about a week so find out whats going on.......

Back