• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issue with delay when typing Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I have an issue that is rather annoying.

No matter where i type, be it browser, outlook, or other software, there is a delay when typing.

I have attempted to clean with CC, its been checked for virus and malware, and I dont see any issues in in task manager under processes.

What can cause this? Faulty display driver? Keyboard driver? USB port driver?

Anything to point me in the right way.

Specs:
i3 - 2120
4gb ram
Windows 7 pro 32bit

I've seen this alot on client machines while there on different issues and have never had the opportunity to delve into it. I always assumed it was just a junk computer with driver issues myself. I'd be interested in seeing what others say.

having a lot of similar issues with my system. Mainly will enter text, will be fine, but all of a sudden output slows to one character per second, until all inputs are displayed. Disabled Filter Keys *somehow got enabled* no fix, disabled hardware acceleration in firefox...no fix. Put all settings in the Nvidia Control Panel on performance over quality...no fix.

SO yeah.

Next step for me is a full OS reinstall.

I actually did find a solution, so far anyway!

They keyboard is a logitech, and i actually just took a shot in the dark. Went into device manager and unintalled all keyboard drivers. Removed the wireless usb dongle, moved the port, and let it install all over, and it worked. Easy fix at the end of the day.

having a lot of similar issues with my system. Mainly will enter text, will be fine, but all of a sudden output slows to one character per second, until all inputs are displayed. Disabled Filter Keys *somehow got enabled* no fix, disabled hardware acceleration in firefox...no fix. Put all settings in the Nvidia Control Panel on performance over quality...no fix.

SO yeah.

Next step for me is a full OS reinstall.

ive had this happen a few times, one source of it happening was a gpu overheating due to fan being blocked by a cable, another was my hdd couldnt keep up and my system was being too taxed. folding and mining have also had this effect.

eh, the folding could be it *as im running on all six cores at full power..........wasn't an issue when OCd to 4.4ghz tho*
Only issue then was heating my room to the point I couldn't take a nap lol.

gonna lower F@H to 5 cores, see what ensues

Last edited:
eh, the folding could be it *as im running on all six cores at full power..........wasn't an issue when OCd to 4.4ghz tho*
Only issue then was heating my room to the point I couldn't take a nap lol.

gonna lower F@H to 5 cores, see what ensues

if that isnt your issue i dont know what is.

Lowered two 5 cores, still having issues.
lets try 4.

If that doesn't solve it, OS reinstall will.

how about stopping folding for a few minutes. its not liek the cpu is the only thing it effects.

Well. Am not folding this morning, I removed F@H from starting up automatically, issue remains lol.

No issues with memory, memtest86+ shows no errors.
Issue also present in Word 2013.

so meh, an annoyance really, just have to stop typing, wait for system to catch up and start again lol.

Going to have to put off OS reinstall. Came down with a chest infection of some kind, really slowed me down. as a result, missed two assignment deadlines, now I need to fight a bit and recover lost ground >.> I swear. going from on top of everything, to dropping from an A+ to a B in a course due to missing an assignment and quiz...I always get sick at the worst time.

I have had issues with my Logitech mouse and Microsoft keyboard. For me it was the USB ports and Logitech software, took a long time to get it error free but I uninstalled the Logitech software for the mouse and let MS install it's software for it. I also found that the USB ports were using shared resources with other devices. I believe that other wireless devices were also conflicting with my keyboard. Moved the dongle closer to the keyboard and it is now OK. I wish that I could remember everything that I had to do but I did get it resolved without a reinstall.

In TaskMan's Performance tab, enable Kernel times and then scale the vertical size so you can estimate %'s. If you get more than ~5% kernel %, it's probably a 'bad' driver. But, many MS Office programs (and Notepad!) will cause a similar, temporary issue due to the built-in requirement to lock the software until a copy is paged out.

Process Explorer, under System, will also show % of hardware interrupts and DPCs.

Try DPClat (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml - not accurate with W8 and up) to check for spikes, LatMon (http://resplendence.com/latencymon) might help pinpoint the driver/process, RATTv3, part of the Windows Performance Toolkit (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh162945.aspx - later versions should work fine). Worth studying the pages on the first 2 to gain an idea on how to troubleshoot.

Ignore the mentions of audio issues, it's just that tiny DPCs/spikes/lag can ruin an audio recording or playback, you're experiencing for something bigger from the same root cause.

Don't ask me to interpret the results or pinpoint the process/driver, I'm ok hands on but some of the outputs make me snowblind.

There are a couple of hardware review sites that actually test motherboards for these issues (though I don't recall which ones).

I'll add my two cents here. I'll suggest moving the KB to an other USB. I have run into this issue form time to time and it always ended up that I had to move the KB to another USB.

Z

Back