• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues overclocking my TA890GXB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Integrated Memory Controller, memory controller is in the CPU compared to older designs with a front side bus.

VMs are a great reason to run 16GB+ of RAM. :)

I've had mixed luck with that. When my bios was set to default (no oc, etc) then it picked ddr1333 instead of ddr1600; I've read this isn't unusual. I've also gotten the idea that it's best practice to set as many memory settings explicitly as possible - voltage, multiplier, and timings. Again, since it didn't pick the DDR1600 setting for me I don't question this idea too much.

I've also noticed that the information about things like SPD will vary among utility programs. Some have found the XMP settings in my ddr; others didn't.

I stress-tested the system overnight using prime95 and the Overdrive stability test and received no errors. Prime95's Torture Test (I love it) allows you to tell it how much memory to use; I gave it 12GB and ran both tests with task manager showing 95% memory usage. I wanted to make sure I was using both the Corsair and Patriot modules. Everything worked just fine.

By the way, I did eventually increase my Core VID from 1.2875 to 1.3000 to 1.3125 where it was finally stable. My Prime95/Overdrive stress tests would run for an hour or so under the first two settings but then it would do this annoying reset thing. But Mikey likes 1.3125. In Post #26 your core voltage is showing 1.416, not 1.3125. Do you have a heavy dose of LLC ("Load Line Calibration") going?

So what is your current stable CPU speed?

Integrated Memory Controller, memory controller is in the CPU compared to older designs with a front side bus.

VMs are a great reason to run 16GB+ of RAM. :)

True that. It's really changed the way I think about a lot of things in the computer world. I'd have to say it's been a paradigm shift for me. I'm a little late to the game (well, a lot) but it all started with using Amazon's cloud service and then progressed to VirtualBox and ESXi. I did some benchmarks on type 1 vs type 2 hypervisors. Not really an appropriate topic for this thread, though. Amazing.

So what is your current stable CPU speed?
In Post #26 your core voltage is showing 1.416, not 1.3125. Do you have a heavy dose of LLC ("Load Line Calibration") going?

Nah, I don't take that stuff any more. I'm just a little distracted.

I set CORE FID to 1.3125 and Vcore to .05. Those are the stable settings. They map to a cpu voltage of 1.416.

I started with a default of CORE FID at 1.35 and Vcore [auto]. That gives you 1.3618 core voltage. Turns out that each .0125 change in CORE FID generates a .012 change in core voltage. So I started testing by setting Vcore to .050 (and leaving it there) and changing Core FID to 1.2875:

Core FID 1.2875 -> core voltage = 1.393 (crash)
Core FID 1.3000 -> core voltage = 1.404 (crash)
Core FID 1.3125 -> core voltage = 1.416 (ahhhh)

Of course, these are boot voltages. Once you start stress testing core voltage goes up.

Oh, so my current stable CPU speed is 3600 MHz.

He! He! Good one. I like your sense of humor.

The core voltage goes up under stress because of Load Line Calibration. There may be a bios line item to control that in some way (either to enable or disable it or to adjust the weight of it) or it may be not be visible but be at work behind the scenes. The idea of it is that it allows you to be stable under stress while not have to live 24/7 with the higher voltage necessary to keep the system stable under stress. Actually, without it you would see the voltage drop off under stress because of the heat-produced increased resistance in the micro circuitry under stress. Some bioses don't employ it all and then you see vdrop (drop in voltage at idle) and vdroop (drop in voltage under load).

He! He! Good one. I like your sense of humor.

The core voltage goes up under stress because of Load Line Calibration. There may be a bios line item to control that in some way (either to enable or disable it or to adjust the weight of it) or it may be not be visible but be at work behind the scenes. The idea of it is that it allows you to be stable under stress while not have to live 24/7 with the higher voltage necessary to keep the system stable under stress. Actually, without it you would see the voltage drop off under stress because of the heat-produced increased resistance in the micro circuitry under stress. Some bioses don't employ it all and then you see vdrop (drop in voltage at idle) and vdroop (drop in voltage under load).
Right, that's what I'm seeing as the cpu usage goes up but I don't believe I have any way to adjust it and that's ok with me.

I think I finally understand what people have been trying to tell me about Vcore aka Core Voltage. My AMI bios lists CPU Voltage as a label but lets you vary CPU Vcore and Core VID. The only thing you can choose for CPU Vcore is 'auto' or an amount to add to the default; that amount is a multiple of .05v. Core VID lets you adjust CPU voltage by +/- .012v (using VID increments of .0125, oddly enough) so you have a finer granularity and can go up or down. So the AMI bios doesn't let you set the CPU voltage using a constant; it only lets you offset in a positive direction using CPU Vcore or in a positive or negative direction using the voltage setting.

I did try raising the ref clock above the current level of 257 but I can't seem to find a stable point. I kept the NB and HT values at or below 2000 and the dram speeds at the second multiplier (1066) and raised the cpu voltage but it was still a no-go. I'm guessing that, above a certain CPU speed (and ref clock frequency) you need to start increasing NB, HT, dram, speeds and voltage, either singly or in combination.

I do wonder about the smart fan concept and how it works with overclocking. I don't want to leave the fan setting on high all the time but don't want to worry about overheating things when I do peg it from time to time. I have an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro that I will use to replace the stock cpu but still imagine there must be some adjustments to make to PowerNow or C1E or something to make sure you don't cook it. How do you handle the PowerNow or equivalent settings on your system? And do you have any entries in this forum about the way you OC'd your system?

I don't have PowerNow and don't know what it is. Quiet Fan usually has a bunch of controls in conjunction with it that allow you to set min and max fan speeds and threshold temps that determine when the fan starts to speed up and also how fast it speeds up: i.e., fan speed profiles. Unfortunately, Biostar motherboards with their AMI bioses are not in common use by the overclocking community and that is why we are hampered in trying to help you with some of these things. Overwhelmingly, the enthusiast/overclocking community buys Asus, Gigabyte and ASRock products. We tend to stay away from Biostar, MSI, ECS, Foxconn, etc. as we see a disproportionate number of problems with them even though they are lower priced.

If you have achieved a stable overclock of 3.6 ghz on that CPU with that motherboard and mixed memory you might be at the wall and should call it good. Your temps seem to be acceptable so I wouldn't trouble with the Freezer 7 Pro. It's pretty dated and may not improve temps much when used on a six core CPU.

I don't have PowerNow and don't know what it is. Quiet Fan usually has a bunch of controls in conjunction with it that allow you to set min and max fan speeds and threshold temps that determine when the fan starts to speed up and also how fast it speeds up: i.e., fan speed profiles. Unfortunately, Biostar motherboards with their AMI bioses are not in common use by the overclocking community and that is why we are hampered in trying to help you with some of these things. Overwhelmingly, the enthusiast/overclocking community buys Asus, Gigabyte and ASRock products. We tend to stay away from Biostar, MSI, ECS, Foxconn, etc. as we see a disproportionate number of problems with them even though they are lower priced.

If you have achieved a stable overclock of 3.6 ghz on that CPU with that motherboard and mixed memory you might be at the wall and should call it good. Your temps seem to be acceptable so I wouldn't trouble with the Freezer 7 Pro. It's pretty dated and may not improve temps much when used on a six core CPU.

Well spit. I'll check out the smart fan settings and see if I can change them. If I leave them to auto it lets the core temps go to 60 and beyond so I'm going to have to do something.

Thanks for all your help.

Back