• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues with Maximus VI formula or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I just got back from a long business trip, and finally got time to play around with new setup.

I already have issues.

1st is that my second ssd jumps between working and not working state, so far its believed to be a dieing SSD, as it is at least 3 years old. It'll live with that, its served me well.

2nd is that when running 100% stock clocking on the board, is get what is looking like correct watt readings in hwMonitor, but soon as i change the clocks even just the BLCK by 1mhz, those readings go to hell. At the moment i am running 44x100 @ 1.232v, and still testing to see if I can make it stable but with every small bit of voltage its getting better. But still strange the watt (TDP on cpu) reads wrong when ocing?

3rd, some times when i press shut down, and walk away from the rig, it shuts down, and then boots back up?! Then i can press shut down again and it stays off? Any one have a clue?

1. Pretty much gonna leave it there and start saving for a new one.

2. I dont trust it, but i'd like to fix it.

3. Done, lets hope it works.

2. There is no fixing it. Software readings are dubious at best Pierre. If you want to have a more accurate reading, go buy a Kill-A-Watt meter and plug your system into it.

2. There is no fixing it. Software readings are dubious at best Pierre. If you want to have a more accurate reading, go buy a Kill-A-Watt meter and plug your system into it.

I a plug for the wall, to read the watt used on the complete rig. Its not that i ever look at wattage use anyway, its just an annoying little thing.

So far 1.240 crashed after an hour of testing, and im at 1,250v testing now.

New issues.

I couldnt live with having 2x 7970s but only one installed. So i installed the other one.

When reading in GPU-z one card is running in 16x slot at 8x 3.0 the other is at 16x at 8x 1.1? Should it not be at 3.0 too?

I'm worried about the one I just put together for my son.

There is not a single overclock preset that it will tolerate. I thought i'd managed a tiny overclock on the turbo setting, but it didn't even survive a second boot before it blue-screened.

And i'm one of the people where the cmos button on the back doesn't clear the BIOS 100%.
So I had to disassemble the build to pull the plastic top off, just to pull the button battery in order to clear the cmos.
Needless to say, this is my last plastic shield motherboard I buy from Asus. At least until the point in time where they make the battery accessible without a tear down of the build.

Even the built in wifi adapter is a mess the way it's just BURIED in the edge of the rear cover like that. It makes it just ridiculous to attach the rear antenna.

For the cost of these things, it should be a dream using these, instead of a nightmare.

I'm worried about the one I just put together for my son.

There is not a single overclock preset that it will tolerate. I thought i'd managed a tiny overclock on the turbo setting, but it didn't even survive a second boot before it blue-screened.

And i'm one of the people where the cmos button on the back doesn't clear the BIOS 100%.
So I had to disassemble the build to pull the plastic top off, just to pull the button battery in order to clear the cmos.
Needless to say, this is my last plastic shield motherboard I buy from Asus. At least until the point in time where they make the battery accessible without a tear down of the build.

Even the built in wifi adapter is a mess the way it's just BURIED in the edge of the rear cover like that. It makes it just ridiculous to attach the rear antenna.

For the cost of these things, it should be a dream using these, instead of a nightmare.

I havnt heard of the issues with clear CMOS.

As far as overclock, i have no issues overclocking. As stock the board seems to be setup to run the CPU at a constant 3900mhz (turbo)

You need to disable a bunch of features, and learn the voltage of the CPU. It could even be the CPU at fault.

As far as issues go with the board, i found 90% of my issues came down to a dieing SSD hooked up to the motherboard, and on top of the, i had a virus on the system that no malware or anti virus was finding.

I havnt heard of the issues with clear CMOS.

As far as overclock, i have no issues overclocking. As stock the board seems to be setup to run the CPU at a constant 3900mhz (turbo)

You need to disable a bunch of features, and learn the voltage of the CPU. It could even be the CPU at fault.

As far as issues go with the board, i found 90% of my issues came down to a dieing SSD hooked up to the motherboard, and on top of the, i had a virus on the system that no malware or anti virus was finding.

In my case it's a brand new build, top to bottom.
Seasonic psu, Samsung 250gb Evo, Intel i5 4670k and the Asus mobo with a fresh windows 7 ultimate install.
edit* oh yeah, and GSkill Trident 2400, tried XMP setting and default.

I don't doubt that I can disable some features, and tweak certain settings to get a stable OC, but I purchased this board because it supposedly had rock solid presets.

Add to that the fact that the battery swap requires a tear down, and i'm not buying another board like this anytime soon.
I mean what were they even thinking with the buried battery like that?
Just going by the random failure rates of those button batteries, you're just absolutely sticking it to the consumer by doing something careless like that...

Last edited:
Back