• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It gets bloody hot here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johannpotgieter

Registered
Hi

So i am planning on buying my parts on tuesday, however here i am sweating in front of the fan wondering, with high ambient temperatures, what is the best method of cooling down your pc. We are already in the high 20 low 30 area and spring has barely sprung.

I was planning on getting the corsair h100 but not sure with high ambient temperatures if it will be sufficient...during december we hit round 40-45 and i don't have a air con where my computer sits.

So basically will that be enough to over clock a i7 4770k or will i need a proper water cooler loop?

Thanks

i run an i7 4770k stock voltage @ 4.1ghz with a corsair h110.
idle temp is around 27-29 degrees and load temp with prime95 is around 58-62 degrees. when im playing crysis 3 or when i have like 4 games running at the same time its usually at around 45-50 degrees. water cooling is probably your best option. i would go with the h110 because it has a bigger radiator and from what ive read it does juuuuust slightly better than the h100. my ambient room temperature is i think around 27? and i think the h110 costs about the same.

Thanks for that

Does humidity affect the cooling as well...seeing as i live between the ocean and the river the humidity is extremely high...

I just don't want to spend 170 bucks now only to find out i had to buy a complete water cooling system which is round 300 for a simple system here

How far are you planning to OC the 4770k? Do you have a goal or are you just planning to push until your cooler can't handle the heat?

Thanks for that

Does humidity affect the cooling as well...seeing as i live between the ocean and the river the humidity is extremely high...

I just don't want to spend 170 bucks now only to find out i had to buy a complete water cooling system which is round 300 for a simple system here
Humidity has a significant effect on cooling people and evaporative coolers, but next to none on cooling dry heat exchangers.

As for a most economical solution, get two variable speed Delta fans - one for cooling your PC and the other for cooling yourself. (Inverter drive fans are far superior to direct on line induction motor fans, especially at smaller sizes where the inverter will be able to run faster than 3600 RPM.) Don't buy one and find out the hard way.

CLC coolers are no better than top air, generally cost more, are louder, are not as dependable and if they fail (and their pumps often do) you have no cooling at all. With an air cooler the only thing to fail are fans and you can run on one fan or rubberband whatever you have handy.

If top air is not enough that go custom water... but it is very expensive.

Hi

So i am planning on buying my parts on tuesday, however here i am sweating in front of the fan wondering, with high ambient temperatures, what is the best method of cooling down your pc. We are already in the high 20 low 30 area and spring has barely sprung.

I was planning on getting the corsair h100 but not sure with high ambient temperatures if it will be sufficient...during december we hit round 40-45 and i don't have a air con where my computer sits.

So basically will that be enough to over clock a i7 4770k or will i need a proper water cooler loop?

Thanks

No overclock, a good CPU cooler and monitor temps. If you have an extra AU $400 we can get another 5-8C cooler on your CPU with real watercooling.

Get an air conditioner. Actually, your temps will only hit that a few days a yer, but still silly hot for your summer. You need to move.

The amount of power a Delta fan uses, even a non FOC version, is over an order of magnitude less than even a small A/C unit. Thus it is a very economical way of keeping stuff cool. Some Dell servers have an upgraded cooling option for "naturally cooled" data centers. (Actually having some Deltas in your air conditioner is an even more awesome idea, but I presume a custom A/C unit is way beyond your reach.)
http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/power-and-cooling-technologies-best-practices

Before anyone comments about noise, most A/C units are quite noisy unless you opt for a high end split system.

Hi

Thanks

Personally, if it's that hot, I don't even bother turning my computer on. Water cooling
might keep your CPU and GPU cool, but I wonder if your HDD's might not overheat?
Is that 45 degree temp. real ambient? Or adjusted for humidity somehow?

Hi

Thanks
Your ambient temp is your ambient temp. Nothing you can do about that with any cooler.. Air, water... whatever, it all uses the same ambient air to cool. Water will cool better, but its still using the same warm air. Get the best you can afford and call it a day. :)

You can use evaporative cooling if the wet bulb temperature is low enough to make it worthwhile. Hybrid air conditioners work on that principle by using evaporative cooling to do some of the work for "free".

You can use evaporative cooling if the wet bulb temperature is low enough to make it worthwhile. Hybrid air conditioners work on that principle by using evaporative cooling to do some of the work for "free".

For a daily usage machine? No thanks.

So all Aussies should move because our summer gets a little hot? Lol. My suggest is follow what EarthDog said. Get what you can afford and what works for you. During summer keep your overclock very mild. If any at all. And pump it up during winter.

For reference my 2500k at 4.5ghz in winter while gaming reaches maybe 55-60 degrees max. Summer despite the temps still only hits 65-70 max. But I've also got low rpm fans going and don't alter them. If you're using better cooling than me (simple h60 with a 1150 rpm gentle typhoon + 600rpm 180mm intake only) then you should be fine on say 4ghz if you can manage that on stock voltage with a 4770k.

(yes I'm aware the 4770k runs much much hotter than sandy. Just giving my situation as a comparison.)

I personally don't turn my oc down or off during summer. But you might need to.

How far are you planning to OC the 4770k? Do you have a goal or are you just planning to push until your cooler can't handle the heat?

No overclock, a good CPU cooler and monitor temps. If you have an extra AU $400 we can get another 5-8C cooler on your CPU with real watercooling.

Get an air conditioner. Actually, your temps will only hit that a few days a yer, but still silly hot for your summer. You need to move.

Your ambient temp is your ambient temp. Nothing you can do about that with any cooler.. Air, water... whatever, it all uses the same ambient air to cool. Water will cool better, but its still using the same warm air. Get the best you can afford and call it a day. :)

:welcome:

40C is around the temperature of the human body. It is hot to us. 45C is getting uncomfortable. Again this how people perceive temperature.

For a CPU it's all about the TDP. You can't go as far when it's hot. Having said that the TDP is what we need to think about.

Another way of saying it is how comfortable are you overclocking? What is your goals. At what temperature do you feel that you are "pushing" too far. As a rule of thumb point of view.

Some members are comfortable at 85C temperature on the CPU. Some will go higher some lower.

From 2001. Not worth bringing up. That is back in the hobby experimental days, like when the car was invented, pre Henry Ford days.:bang head

But great memories thou... :)

Remember that time when Garf wanted to demonstrate the sharpness of his new flint axe and dove in the bushes to grab what he thought was a gazelle but turned out to be a Sabretooth tiger.... ?

;)

Back