• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's Official - FireFox is goin bu-bye! I cant stand it anymore.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^^ that was it with me - i loved FF fresh install - i did think at some point it might be all my bookmarks - well over 400, then i cleared thema ll out and still issues

i hope FF get's it's act in gear or it is going to be Opera MS has to worry about now FF.

Just a heads up 1.0.7 firefox edition is out now. I know some of us have switched over to Opera already, but in case you still need to use firefox occasionally it is out there.

I installed it, haven't noticed much difference but I wasn't really having any problems before so...

Mr.Guvernment said:
^^ that was it with me - i loved FF fresh install - i did think at some point it might be all my bookmarks - well over 400, then i cleared thema ll out and still issues

i hope FF get's it's act in gear or it is going to be Opera MS has to worry about now FF.

Being a long time user also and trying to keep up on any fixes that are out for it. One thing that I never have gotten over. The browser just closing. Once it does that any virus scanner I use will want to pass it. I think that is the delay you might be experiencing. It took me awhile to figure out why FF sometimes took a bit to reopen sometimes. Even after not crashing. It does this with my prior scanner and my current package. It is hard to pin point an issue if there is no way to replicate it.

If I can get one domain to work correctly I will be more than likely jumping ship. There is a few things I will have to get used to, but FF is getting out of hand. I enjoy some of the features FF employs, but it is becoming a burden to fix it, tho I have fixed so many issues I am quite fast in doing so. A person can only take so much before they wander in a new direction.

What you need to do when starting to use Opera is to create your own contextmenus, toolbars, buttons, mousegestures, searches, hotkeys etc. The people over at the Opera forums are a great resource and there are plenty of pages that help a lot, like this for example.

Here is a picture of my context menues, although they are changed a bit now. (Programs/Favorites have real items now, I have also added "Open this page in IE" / "- FF" submenu) The first five is when I right click on a normal page, the sixth is RC on a link and the last one is LC on text.
There is also a similar one when RC on pictures.

Adding custom searches can also save you a lot of time and armmovement. By going to the adressbar (F8) and typing "g overclocking", it will do a google search for overclocking. By pressing SHIFT+CTRL when I press ENTER, the page will open in a new background tab, so you don't even need to CTRL-N a new tab to do a fast search. I have added [i=imdb] [w=wikipedia] [d=dictionary] [ig=google image] [gg=google "I'm feeling lucky"] [p=piratebay] [t=torrentspy] and a few more that I have forgotten. :D Im also about to make a "piratesearch" that launches 4-5 torrentsearches at once.

You can have up to three functions on a single button (plus you can give it a dropdown menu) and have it do basicly anything you want from starting a list of sites in the background to have Counterstrike connect to your favorite server, or the server whos IP you have marked.

You could also read this. Its rather old, but I think it covers the Opera basics.
This is my Opera, free for buttons since I only use hotkeys and contextmenus.(7.21 skin on 7.54 Opera)

Just to let you guys know. The reason the scrolling is so "smooth" is because Opera defaults at scrolling 7 lines or so, instead of the usual windows default of 3(you can change this in your mouse settings.), which is what FF goes by. I'm using it and I like it better than FF, I wasn't really having memory issues with FF, just random little things that get annoying over time.

Mr.Guvernment said:
  • Opening FireFox takes approx. 30-45 seconds to open and causes EXCESSIVE harddrive activity reading.
  • opening 1 FireFox and opening 4-6 tabs jacks up memory usage to 50-60mb of system ram - having 15+ tabs open i am looking @ around 180MB of ram usage
  • Opening a 2nd instance of FireFox while one is open (2 seperate windows) the 2nd window is missing my bookmarks - i have to close both to get them to come back - this only happens sometimes.
  • When right clicking on a link to open in new tab - firefox pauses and causes the entire system to stop responding to anything until it is done (10-20seconds) - this happens more often then not.
  • typing in a web site address to have FireFox tell me the site is not availible - do a search for the site in google, clikc the link - works fine
  • I highlight a single word, yet when i move my mouse it continues to highlight items even thought ia m not holding the mouse down

-yes it does take longer to open, but not that long, only around 10 seconds.
-i dont use tabs and can open about 15 windows with no problems
-right click to 'open in new window' causes me NO problems
-never had a problem with firefox not finding sites

i have been using firefox for a year and a half- 40 users at the company i work for are now using it and not one moan from anyone.

ithink maybe you should check your set up first as i use it every day, with differnt proxys, for different types of sites and even for going through ports and get no probs.

maybe im just lucky i dunno... i just find that a fresh install every now and again (then importing all your stuff back) helps it stay on top.

ill try opera!

Last edited:
^^^ as i have stated i have used FF on various computers and experience these issue on all of them, from clean formats to older systems. i have been using FF almost 2 years now and it wasnt till recently these issues started for me which to me says something about FF is changing. (with in the last, mm i think since 1.04)

I do know some people they dont recognize a "possible" problem, they just, example, restart FF when there sysytem is slow and go on about their buisness.

i thought it was my system - but when it happened on numerous systems (in our office as well) i knew it was just me going crazy.

seriously though my firefox is sweet as, like i said i must just be lucky. also the new deer park is quite good.

ive just downloaded opera and am using it to type this message. all i can say is that since i last used opera it has changed A LOT!

it used to suck badly but this is fantastic, its like a even lighter verson of firefox, still need to get to grips with the features!

Back