• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I've been out of the computer scene for a while, what has come out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neostarwcc

I've been talented in computers since I was 8 years old pretty much. Loved building them and upgrading them from the age of 10 well into my mid-late 20's. My first computer was around when Windows 3.1 came out and ram/motherboards were so huge and it took my parents hours to figure out how to setup our first computer. It was a nightmare back then lol. Windows 3.1 was so hard to use/learn but I picked it up so quickly as a then 8 year old boy. So I knew a lot about computers. But I got in a bad funk and deep depression and haven't really touched a computer in several years. I think the last time I even touched my or my wifes computer was several years ago. Probably around 2015 or 2016. But, Without talking about my personal life and experiences, I'm out of that funk now and would like to get into the "computer scene" again and I'm curious what has come out over the years since I last bothered with computers. The last thing I heard about coming out was when SSD's came out around 2014 or so (which changed the face of computers for forever. It honestly was a fantastic invention.) So what has come out since then? I was browsing these forums and noticed that I9 processors and DDR 4 ram are out now. Are they much of an improvement over the i5 processor and DDR 3 ram that I'm currently using in my rig now? I'm using an i5-4440k (So yes it's been a while but it was a good processor when it came out). Anyway, It just seems amazing that as computers continue to evolve they just get better and better.

It just depends on what you want to do, what games/resolution etc and what refresh rate. Any other productivity tasks?

The big splash is AMD with competitive upper-mid range GPUs and 12 core desktop CPUs with 16 cores anticipated shortly. The cost of all this, in the CPU world, is temperature problems on both teams for the high end SKUs. Although it looks like you're under water so that's half the battle, but expect 240mm - 360mm of rad per part if you're shooting for the top of the line items.

SLI is pretty much dead, but you can easily spend $1500 on a single card.

SSDs are even faster with NVMe technology allowing an SSD to be not only slotted directly into the motherboard but also tap directly into the PCIe lanes via a dual protocol (SATA or NVMe depending on the drive used) port called m.2. The actual usefulness of all this speed is really limited to big file transfers right now though.

For even higher core counts, absurd amounts of RAM etc, there is a new segment that bridges the gap between desktop and server components called HEDT, aimed at heavily multi-threaded productivity workloads, and can be equipped with up to 64 cores. These use a different CPU/socket/chipset than the standard consumer parts.

On a personal note, glad you're out of the funk and welcome back :clap:

2k and 4k monitors have become common place in the gaming world. RAM is dirt cheap right now. Optical disk drives (DVD burners) are on the way out as are platter-based electro-mechanical drives for end users. Windows 10.

Last edited:
It just depends on what you want to do, what games/resolution etc and what refresh rate. Any other productivity tasks?

The big splash is AMD with competitive upper-mid range GPUs and 12 core desktop CPUs with 16 cores anticipated shortly. The cost of all this, in the CPU world, is temperature problems on both teams for the high end SKUs. Although it looks like you're under water so that's half the battle, but expect 240mm - 360mm of rad per part if you're shooting for the top of the line items.

SLI is pretty much dead, but you can easily spend $1500 on a single card.

SSDs are even faster with NVMe technology allowing an SSD to be not only slotted directly into the motherboard but also tap directly into the PCIe lanes via a dual protocol (SATA or NVMe depending on the drive used) port called m.2. The actual usefulness of all this speed is really limited to big file transfers right now though.

For even higher core counts, absurd amounts of RAM etc, there is a new segment that bridges the gap between desktop and server components called HEDT, aimed at heavily multi-threaded productivity workloads, and can be equipped with up to 64 cores. These use a different CPU/socket/chipset than the standard consumer parts.

On a personal note, glad you're out of the funk and welcome back :clap:

So motherboards are even better than they were before? I'm using a ASUS Maximus VII motherboard in the rig I built now and have been using since I built it which probably sounds like a dinosaur motherboard today but it was a pretty good motherboard at the time when I bought it. I've been using ASUS motherboards almost my entire life except for a few times when I tried buying cheaper boards to save money. Lol, that didn't work out. Most of them fried within a year or two or less and I ended up spending more money on cheaper motherboards than I would have if I just bought an ASUS motherboard and spent the extra $1-$200. Plus I've learned over the years that they are leaps and bounds better for gaming over the cheap ones. And overclock better. I didn't start overclocking until I was well into my mid 20's though.

Same with Power Supply boxes. I kind of learned my lesson on that one. My parents used to make me buy really cheap power supply boxes that only ended up lasting me a few years. Then I bought a Corsair Power supply box after I graduated high school and I think I bought a corsair tx-750 it rings a bell but it was a really long time ago and I don't 100% remember. But anyway that power supply box ended up lasting me well over 10 years. It finally exploded around when my wife and I got married in 2015. So it lasted me from high school up until then. Pretty long time and I remember paying $150 for it. So $150 for something that lasted me over 10 years is pretty good. Especially when I would have spent 6 times of that on cheaper boxes and they would have not been as good. So I've been shelling out extra money on good PSU's and parts ever since.

SLI is dead? I remember that SLI was the way of gaming for several years. I personally have never used it (So I completely missed the scene. Oh well) but I've heard that almost every gamer did it back in the day. I just personally didn't see the point in spending over $1,500 on two video cards when I could buy one for $500-$700 and have one card. Even if the performance was better. But thinking back, I probably should have done it. Oh well. So which video cards are considered really good now? My wife desperately needs one because she's been using integrated ever since I bought her computer when we met. It's a pain trying to play video games with her because of how long it takes for them to load. I've got to wait like 15 minutes for her everytime she tries to load a new zone or whatever on WoW. Just a pain. I'm not going to give her the good one though that's for me :p. I'll give her mine which plays games very decently and that's all she needs.

SSD's are even faster? Really? Because the one I've been using for close to 5 years now boots up my computer and my games in like 15 seconds lol. Remember when it used to take forever and an eternity for a computer to load? That was a long time ago. Now it's like zoom! And they're even faster now. Wow. I'll definitely buy one when I finally upgrade my rig again.

I don't have the funds at the moment to rebuild our desktops. I'm in pretty large debt from other life expenses but I hope to have the funds within the next year or so. Meanwhile I'm just curious what has come out over the years.

Anyway, wife is calling me to lunch and we have chores to do today unfortunately. I wish I could be on the computer all day lol. I'll reply to the other replies later today.

SSD's are even faster? Really?
This should be of no surprise because, as a general rule, everything is faster - if not by actual clock speeds, then by the amount of data being moved each clock cycle. For example,while many CPUs today still "only" run at 3.6GHz as many did years ago, they can do much more work in the same amount of time, and often while consuming less energy and producing less heat.

Other examples include USB interface speeds are faster, as are SATA, PCIe, and wifi, as well. RAM speeds aren't just faster, but RAM densities are much greater too. That is, along with CPUs, GPUs and other integrated circuit (IC) devices, they have millions (or billions!) more transistor gates per square inch.

If considering Corsair again, one sad note is you can no longer depend on Corsair power supplies just because the supply has the Corsair logo on it. :( For sure, their top-of-the-line series supplies are top-of-the-line and can be trusted. But it is generally recommended to stay away from their entry level models as Corsair changed OEM suppliers for those models. EGVA (my preferred) and Seasonic supplies have become most popular. But regardless, I think avoiding entry-level models is good advice, regardless the brand.

You are wise to look for a quality PSU and for sure, you should look for one that is 80 PLUS certified as they ensure at least 80% efficiency across the range of expected loads. I do NOT, however, recommend seeking Platinum or Titanium certified CPUs. Instead, I recommend "Gold" certified CPUs. It would take many years of use to make up in energy savings for the added cost of a Platinum or Titanium PSU. Gold certification still requires at least 87% efficiency across the full range of expected loads - which is still excellent. If a Platinum just happens to be on sale at a great price, then go for it. But note a higher rating does NOT mean you are getting a more reliable supply, or a supply with tighter regulation or better ripple suppression, or a supply that will run more quietly.

Another big change over the last 10 years has been the security situation. It is much better and worse at the same time. It much better because with the latest version of Windows, it is much easier to keep our systems secure if you just leave the default settings alone, and you avoid being "click-happy" on unsolicited emails, attachments, links, popups, and downloads.

Many people still hate Microsoft so you often have to take what you hear with a grain of salt - or a 10lb box of salt. W10, for example, is NOT the privacy concern many will want you to believe. First, there is a HUGE difference between privacy and security. Microsoft does not know and is NOT trying to learn your real name, physical location, passwords, account numbers, contacts or your other personal and sensitive information. Nor are they trying to tie your Internet activity to you personally. That is important to accept and understand.

Google and Facebook, however, are much greater threats to your privacy. And worse yet are your ISP and especially your cell phone carriers, as they already know your real name, real address, billing information and more and are actively seeking to tie that to everything you do on the Internet! :( And sadly, Congress has given ISPs the green-light to not only collect that information about us, but to do with it just about anything they want!!! :eek: :mad: :screwy: And the president quickly signed it despite the fact there is literally no public support to repeal the bill that protected our privacy! :( So now, your ISP can collect all your surfing habits and sell it for their own personal gains, and you can do nothing about it. That's how our current government is looking after its citizens. :-/

But I digress. The point is, when it comes to "securing" your computer (protecting it from malware), it is much easier today than it was 10 years ago (AS LONG AS we keep our computers and security program current, and avoid being click-happy). That's the good news.

But the bad news; because it has gotten so much easier for us to secure our personal computers, the bad guys are concentrating more and more on attacking organization and corporate networks because, sadly, those systems are much easier to hack to steal our personal information. :( And to make it worse, most of those hacks (like the big Equifax hack) could have been prevented if only the IT admin and security management had done their jobs! :mad::mad::mad: The patch that would have prevented the massive Equifax hack, for example, was provided to Equifax many months before the hack occurred, but the system managers and administrators never applied it! And that's not all. All our personal data (names, birthdates, social security numbers, credit information) was stored on their severs "in the clear!" That is, it was not encrypted. And were any at Equifax held accountable or charged with criminal negligence? Nope. :mad:

For more info on the Equifax breach and the settlement, the US Federal Trade Commission as set up this website. If not sure you were affected, follow the "look-up tool" link on that page. If affected, the free credit monitoring is the recommended choice.

But I digressed again. Sorry.

Other changes are with cooling. Better cases come with much better cooling to start, and most offer a lot more cooling options. If you are not planning to do extreme overclocking, there's no need for radiators and alternative cooling solutions. Contrary to what many want us to believe, both AMD and Intel make great OEM coolers today. If you get a processor that does not come with an OEM cooler, you can get great cooling with a traditional HSF (heatsink fan) assembly. Remember, it is the case's responsibility to provide a sufficient flow of cool air through the case. The CPU cooler need only toss the CPU's heat into that flow.

Yes, water/radiator cooling can provide cooler temps. But cooler temps is NOT automatically better. Yes, it is absolutely critical we ensure adequate cooling. But it is not necessary to provide the coolest temperatures possible. That is, a CPU running 25°C will NOT perform better, be more stable, or have a greater life expectancy than a CPU running at 50°C or even warmer.

And speaking of cases, you talk about "rebuilding" your desktops. With their current age, I would recommend just building new computers from the ground up with all new components, starting with a good case - one that supports multiple large (140mm or larger) case fans, USB 3.1/3.0, and removable/washable air filters. It is likely your old case does not support the latest USB standard. I like Fractal Design cases.
I don't have the funds at the moment to rebuild our desktops. I'm in pretty large debt from other life expenses but I hope to have the funds within the next year or so. Meanwhile I'm just curious what has come out over the years.
Then again you are being wise to start getting up to speed now. I do have one word of advice when it comes to actually buying your components. Save your money until you can buy everything at once. Don't buy piecemeal over time. It is important to remember warranties periods begin at the time of purchase/shipment. Also some products (like motherboards and graphics cards) use firmware updates and even may go through hardware "Revision" updates with the same model number. So if, for example, you buy a motherboard today and wait 6 months before you buy your last component, already you wasted 6 months of your warranty, and the board may be a revision behind and possibly a couple firmware (BIOS) updates behind too.

Also note many retailers have a 30 day "no questions asked" return policy where after that period, any returns then have to go through the manufacturer. So save your pennies and buy all at once.

Last, don't forget a new motherboard constitutes a new computer and new computers typically need a new OS license to be legal. OEM/System Builder license are not "legally" transferable to new computers under any circumstances. So be sure to include the cost of a new OS in your budget, unless planning on going with one of the many fine versions of Linux.

SLI is not dead exactly but not so popular anymore as the GPUs have gotten to be so powerful that the single higher end cards give excellent FPS without SLI. I'm not a computer gamer but I can tell you that some games do not play well with SLI or even benefit from it so a powerful single card solution avoids the problems inherent in SLI. The only time I would recommend SLI is when someone already has access to two older mid range GPUs and can't afford to upgrade to one higher end modern card. If starting from scratch, it would be more economical to purchase one really good GPU than to buy two mid range GPUs for SLI or Crossfire and the performance results will be more consistent as well.

m.2 NVME PCI-e drives boot somewhat faster than SATA-based SSD's but they both boot much faster than platter-based traditional hard drives. The SATA bus width is more limited and can become a bottleneck at boot up. Once in Windows you won't see much difference between a SATA SSD and PCI-e NVME in day to day computing. If you were frequently transferring very large files you would see a difference.

SLI is not dead exactly but not so popular anymore as the GPUs have gotten to be so powerful that the single higher end cards give excellent FPS without SLI. I'm not a computer gamer but I can tell you that some games do not play well with SLI or even benefit from it so a powerful single card solution avoids the problems inherent in SLI.
I agree completely with this. It is important to remember also that two cards typically require more power than one. Plus, it is important to note game developers understand most gamers don't have the budgets to buy two "monster" cards and the necessary motherboard and PSU to support them. Most gamers don't have the budget for even one monster card. Many budgets are $500 - $600 (or less!) for the entire computer! So game developers code their games to give good "game play" with lessor hardware (even with integrated graphics). You may sacrifice some background detail and have a few less animated object in each scene, but the entertainment value is just as good.

So if you don't get hung up on what amounts to bragging rights about your hardware and FPS and simply concentrate on the entertainment value of the game and having fun, destroying the budget on a graphics card becomes much less important.

The SATA bus width is more limited and can become a bottleneck at boot up.
While true, it really is all relative. The slowest SATA SSD will still run circles around the fastest hard drives. So if you are used to a hard drive based system, even a slow SATA SSD will still amaze you. :)

Once in Windows you won't see much difference between a SATA SSD and PCI-e NVME in day to day computing. If you were frequently transferring very large files you would see a difference.
Agree again. But you are still talking a small handful of seconds - not minutes. And with a nice supply of RAM, it may not be noticeable at all.

Back