• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ivy Bridge review (By tweaktown)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's crazy how a 3.6-3.8 OC on those was a "good OC" and now 4.5GHz is a given on chips... :rolleyes:

I'm glad the clock walls of SB seem to be gone, based on leaks.

There's the theoretical electron movement discussion and there's the IB discussion.

The IB discussion nobody knows yet that can say anything :chair:

The electrical theory discussion is all included in ohms law, regardless of what some people might be saying :p

If those walls are the same sorts of walls that Bulldozer has (only gone with extreme cooling) then that seems kind of pointless for the majority..... :shrug:

EDIT: Hey, I just noticed I've gone to 9 stars..... Not sure when that happened. I wonder how long till I change colour? :p

That's the impression I am getting, given a specific cooling setup SB will likely clock further.
IB seems to be similar to BD in that regard.

We also need to remember that more MHz doesn't always equal more performance when talking about different CPUs. I would take whichever has better performance, regardless of clocks.

That's the impression I am getting, given a specific cooling setup SB will likely clock further.
IB seems to be similar to BD in that regard.

Lol. Yeah, but with much nicer IPC

We also need to remember that more MHz doesn't always equal more performance when talking about different CPUs. I would take whichever has better performance, regardless of clocks.

Yah, I know. Old news. My BD comes out slower than my old Thuban in most stuff, AMD had high IPC with A64's vs P4, role reversal ever since Core2Duo etc etc

Exactly, that's why you can't compare IB or SB to BD as the latter is a slow fireball.

Not really, my old 955BE had more grunt than I'll ever need, let alone my current chip. I don't think there's too many home users can actually use the performance of modern mainstream processors anyway :shrug:

So, are those temps taken off software, or with a probe? There might be defect / non-compatibility with the sensors/software... the power consumption is pretty good with IB, would make zero sense for the temps to be that high. I could see a 5-10C difference, but those temps don't add up.

Not really, my old 955BE had more grunt than I'll ever need, let alone my current chip. I don't think there's too many home users can actually use the performance of modern mainstream processors anyway :shrug:

I can always use more power for Photoshop, multiple VMs, FAH, etc. If I could afford either of 2 cars and one topped out at 160 and the other could hit 250, I'd get the faster one just because it could go faster. :comp:

I guess the only real reason I upgrade (and I'm not sure the last upgrade was an upgrade since I moved from Thuban) is because I enjoy playing with new kit. That and I like to keep my rig faster than a few of my mates. :D

Back