• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iwill KK266-R bios Qs + some general ones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freQuency

Hi all , i just wanted to ask a few newbie questions about my setup and what bios would be suited to me. I have not installed any of it yet as i still don't know what soundcard to use. I plan on OCing it to about 1500 depending on temps etc etc
My setup =

1333 (axia) C TB (got artic for it) using a WBK 38 HSF
Iwill KK266-R
2 x 128 PC133 tested to 150 cas 2-2-2 ( going to use 4 - way interleave)
Quantum 30 gig 7200 (doing a raid l8r on)
Hp cd writter 2 x 2 x 24
Samsung 48 x cd player
Enermax 350 watt twin fan PSU
Leadtec Geforce 2 ultra
some floppy drive
Extra 230 watt PSU (for pelter l8r on)
1 x 60 mm fan + a 120 mm (not sure on the arangment yet)

Now for the hard part , i want to know what bios i should use ? (i have seen the FAQ)

What sound card should i get ? (i play heps of games including cstrike and quake 3) but i don't wait those irq conflicts like everyone gets.

What controller should i use for my harddrive and what settings should i use ? (i will only be using 1 harddrive to start of with)

How far do you think i will be able to OC with my V-card ?

1. here is the link to the latest Iwill Bios upgrades, april 26th is fine.
2. What is wrong w/ the on board sound? unless you are using 5 speakers, the on board sound is great.
3. Leave the settings at default and you will be fine
4. That all depends on luck, Ram (how good it is actually) and testing.
It takes alot of patience and playing w/ different settings to get your CPU to its max. O/C. Have some fun and try different FSB and multiplier settings.

Da Whip (Jun 04, 2001 06:49 p.m.):
1. here is the link to the latest Iwill Bios upgrades, april 26th is fine.
2. What is wrong w/ the on board sound? unless you are using 5 speakers, the on board sound is great.
3. Leave the settings at default and you will be fine
4. That all depends on luck, Ram (how good it is actually) and testing.
It takes alot of patience and playing w/ different settings to get your CPU to its max. O/C. Have some fun and try different FSB and multiplier settings.

Thanks for the reply man !
Ok , i am aware of the new bios updates but there are a few custom ones around and i wanted to know which would be best for me ?

I wanted to know which sound card to use because i have been told that the onboard sound is very hard on the cpu and will decrease my proformance. Is this true ?

Is it posible that you could tell me some suggested proformance tweaks for my new V card ?

OK , sweet as , have you found that there is that much difference between the having a sound blaster for instance ot just using the onboard sound ?

there won't be much difference and you could spend the extra money for another 256 of ram! crucial 256 Cas2 for 67bucks. use webpromo for another 4bucks off. I use the onboard and have no problems!

OK , thanks for the reply man , just wondering what games you play etc ?
I use win 98 and have heard that it doesn't like any more than 380 odd ram , is this true ?
Would i c any more proformance in getting another 128 or 256 over what i have already have ?

the onboard sound is great!
using a card will probably use more resources from the board, at least eat up IRQ's and voltage...<right?>
i've looked into the memory issue and found your best bet is one stick of 256mb PC133 CAS2 RAM from Crucial or Muskin... although, if your RAM is good, what you have takes advantage of the 4-way IL.
maybe... if i was you... i'd get a 256mb, and use it in bank one... run some benchmarks... then stick old ram in banks 1 + 2... run same tests...
then 256 in one, 128/2, 128/3... now at 512 run those tests....
see whats the best!
you might try it, if not.. all indications say you're at optimum right now, aside from having two sticks over one which is preferred and also consumes less voltage and two sticks "can" cause stability issues.

Because my ram was brand new , they offered for me to send it back in exchange for a stick of 256 that benchmarked as follows. I am just asking about the sound cause i need very good sound for clan matches in CS.

1 x 256MHz cas2 @150 Memory test in SiSoft ALU 600, FPU 697

It will work well with headphones and if it isn't up to par you can always add the sound card later.

el (Jun 07, 2001 03:08 p.m.):
It will work well with headphones and if it isn't up to par you can always add the sound card later.

Do you use the onboard sound ?
Also what cooling did you use to get your temps that low ? Is you system that OCed ?

Back