• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Juicy UPGRADE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GeoForce

Registered
My dear geek friends!

It's a beautiful mid-summer beach/camping/kitesurfing/notsurewhatelsetodo time, and definitely a time for an очередной (not sure how to convey this adjective in English) PC upgrade! :)

What I have now

MB
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM)
* PCI-E x16 rules! SATA3 not needed, it's ok. Though no DDR3 makes me sad :-(

CPU
Intel Q6600 2400 MHz
* I'm quite content with it

RAM
4 * GSkill 2GB DDR2-800
* 8GB total, not bad

HDD
SAMSUNG SSD 830 (238 GB)
* absolutely happy with 200 MB/s

Video
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (896 MB)
* proudly obtained 6+ years ago. Though been glithcing lately..

PSU
Antec BP550 Plus 550W (+12V * 22/22/25A)
* feels like a stretch..

What I have in mind

Video
let's fight over it.

PSU
let's fight over it once the videocard battle dusts settle :)

just get a gtx 760 oc , about the best bang for the buck, and a newer, better (evga 750 gold) psu and be done with it, assuming your monitor tops out at 1080.

I think that even with a GTX 760, a Q6600, even overclocked to the moon, is going to be a bottleneck.

Time to очередной your whole system IMO.

To give you a hint about the Q6600 I had that before upgrading to my current rig but the 750 ti was in the Q6600 build. I couldn't play BF4 without setting everything at pure minimum and 1366x768 resolution instead of 1080p on the old rig. Even then I got 15fps. I can now run everything at maximum (nothing else to increase whatsoever). Overclocking won't help a penny, sorry.

Your best upgrade is to an i3/i5 haswell CPU with the corresponding motherboard ram and then choose something like a 750/760 GPU.

LOL @ Overclocking wont help a penny. Of course it will. Mainly getting the BUS speed up on C2D and C2Q is what cranks out the extra performance.

Seriously though, that CPU is too long in the tooth. A GTX 770 would be sooo lagged down by it. Arent you just on PCIEx16 gen 1 on that board.. that will decrease performance also. Its just a crazy proposition. That powersupply you selected was garbage also.

Please save up some money, get a 4690K and a z97 board, and then get your nice GPU.

You don't need a card with 4 gigs of ram. If you only have one 1080 p monitor, the extra ram is useless.

2 Gigs, 4 Gigs, the bottom line is that a Q6600 is going to hit a wall paired with anything past a GTX 2XX card. Even that IMO is a bit of a stretch.

Its just not a very powerful CPU, and his mobo, it's only got PCIEX16 gen 1, equivalent to a X4 PCIEX16 gen 3 link. I think it is quite hopeless. The system is already pretty well maxed out with the hardware that's in it.

Sorry to repeat myself 3 times. I will now be silent. I just don't want the OP to waste money and get 40% of the card's max performance out of his system because everything else is such a bottleneck.

Not everyone builds an entirely new system at one time. Upgrading in steps over time is very practical.

If your only doing half an upgrade right now and your 260 is dying, replacing it with a 770 is fine. As long as your getting a new cpu\mb\mem before the 770 gets old and you pretty much wasted your money.

If your 260 can limp a little longer, you get more performance gains upgrading cpu\mb\mem first. Then hopefully new Maxwell cards will be out by the time your ready for video.

Cpl nice deals for ya.
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer & i5-4690K $295

Antec 850W HCG-850M 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply $124.99 - $30 w/ promo code EMCPCPF78 - $35 rebate = $59.9

Not everyone builds an entirely new system at one time. Upgrading in steps over time is very practical.

If your only doing half an upgrade right now and your 260 is dying, replacing it with a 770 is fine. As long as your getting a new cpu\mb\mem before the 770 gets old and you pretty much wasted your money.

If your 260 can limp a little longer, you get more performance gains upgrading cpu\mb\mem first. Then hopefully new Maxwell cards will be out by the time your ready for video.

Cpl nice deals for ya.
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer & i5-4690K $295

Antec 850W HCG-850M 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply $124.99 - $30 w/ promo code EMCPCPF78 - $35 rebate = $59.9

Your first link is broken or no longer active.

guys first of all thank you all so much for the support and advices!!

caddi,
thanks for the link, thinking.. I'm actually looking at gtx 660 now. The rest seems to be a bit pricey (most importantly unnecessary pricey and powerful for me)..

theo,
so looks like my mb and cpu are the bottlenecks now. forget about it - i need a brand new everything??
in fact you are so right - i'm only at PCIx16 1.0 gen. when those cards are built for 3.0. What's a good board and cpu then? 4690K and a z97 you say? I'm going to have to throw a bit more cash into this upgrade it seems. let's nail it.
and please don't be silent - it's a fight after all :)
however, *if you can* please back up your statements. E.g. PCIEX16 gen 1 = X4 PCIEX16 gen 3 - what does that mean?? I understand that I have to be getting a new MB now, but please a bit more info

mimart,
thanks for the gigs tip. I indeed only have 1 screen most of the time. Either front monitor, or my Sony TV. Rarely both - mirrored. Either one is at 1920*1080 (which is i believe 1080 p like you say exactly). So 2GB max it is then!

danF,
thanks for the heads up - yet another hint that my entire hardware is too old.

daleon,
thanks for understanding. That was exactly my point originally. but now looks like I have to go soup to nuts.
To address your thoughts though - my 260 is not really dying, but I feel like I want to replace it anyhow. Looking at gtx 660 now.
Z97 & i5-4690K - question. Why not i7? Isn't it so much more better and badder?
as to the power supply, def agree with you. I'd rather go with a bit higher, 850 like you suggest (especially with all those deals - looks like a steal!!)

kemosa,
no. but def start looking suspiciously at my q6600 now *suspicious face*

go look at the spes for the asrok extreme 6 and extreme 9, bothe good boards, and if your going single gpu and going to stay that way a 6 will be more than plenty and a 4690k is all the cpu your going to need.

no sli, with out the $500 monitor you dont even need or want it a better single gpu is better than 2 lesser cards, I have 2 760 oc cards in sli, single 770's hammer me.

Get an ASUS Z97-A, or a Gigabyte Z97XUD3H or an ASRock Z97 Extreme4/Extreme6.
No need whatsoever to spend more than $150-160 on a Z97 board. Those are the 4 boards you should be looking at. Don't waste money on a higher end board. Spend it on better GPU or an SSD or something you're going to notice like that.

What Ram? Any DDR3 1.5V(or <) DIMMs from 1600Mhz to about 3000Mhz. You don't need to spend a lot of money on RAM. 1600Mhz 1.5V CL9 will be fine. Make sure you get 2 sticks so you can run dual channel. 2X4GB (8) or 2x8GB (16). All you need is 8GB for gaming.

Back