• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just a quick q on cooler to get.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

AMD guy here, just so we get that out of the way..

Every generation of cpus, there are 2 or 3 coolers that ocforums overwhelmingly supports for their price/performance ratio and ability.

I was just wondering, since I already have my 1090T here, and the GB UD5 board is on the way, what are the 2 or 3 favorites among air cooling enthusiasts here? I heard about the Ninja, and someone mentioned something about a Thermalright Ultra-120 etc.

I will be using the Antec 300 case, and will be using two mem slots only, the two recommended by GB to get high OC (3 and 4 I think) 2x4gb. I will be using one pci-e card, high end, if any of this matters, I am telling you because of fit.

Anyhow, what are the favs in the mid price range (like the XP90C was one of the favs back in the days of the rig in my sig) that can handle an 4GHz+ O/C of a 1090T with good case-air-flow to go with it (Antec 300 is awesome for air-flow, I will have two 120mm intakes in the front, and one rear 120mm exhaust and one top 38mm high cfm (They are all high silverstone FM12x series fans) exhaust).

I just saw a simple test that compared a stock cooler/fan with the Ultra-120 at stock speeds (no o/c) of the 1090T (3.2GHz right?), and the stock was (idle/load) 35C/55C for stock, and 31C/41C for the Ultra, so obviously I will be upgrading cooling as I build my rig, I won't even try the stock.

What's mid price range? The TRUE, Venomous X, NH-D14, Silver arrow, and Megahalems are all great coolers...check em out.

For price to performance ratio I don't think you can beat the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus. Can be had for under $30 and cools to within probably 3-4 of the very best and expensive air coolers.

The Hyper 212 Plus is a pretty good choice for price/performance, but IMO the True Spirit is a better choice and doesn't cost too much more than the Coolermaster. You can get the TS and AMD mount for around $40 plus shipping and the Hyper 212 can be had for around $30 shipped (maybe a hair less). And I find the plastic fan brackets that come with the Coolermaster to be a bit fragile at the screw holes. Review coming soon. ;) But, the fan that comes with the Coolermaster seems to be better than the one that comes with the TS, IMO.

Anyways, you now have several heatsinks suggested for you at various price points, Trypt. :) None are what you would call bad choices and it all depends on your budget.

I own two Thermalright coolers... Venomous X Black and IFX-14... Can't say enough good things about either of them. The Venomous X is probably one of the best air coolers out there right now; the Noctua D14 and the Silver Arrow would be the two that top it, but the 1 or 2 degree difference comes in at a hefty price.... And then there is the size factor; those two things are HUGE!!!! Whereas the Venomous X is nice and compact, oh and the "Black" version of the V-x looks amazing too!
The IFX-14 is at the price levels of the NH-D14 and Silver Arrow and it also performs at those levels; even though it from the previous generation of coolers...

So basically:

- If you're on a budget of say $30 or less; get the Coolermaster Hyper212.
- If you can afford to spend, say between $40 - $60; Go for the Cogage True Spirit and a decent fan for it.
- If the budget is between $60 - $80; you can get the Venomous X or a TRUE Rev C and one or two decent fans.
- If your budget is around $80 - $100; get either the NH-D14 or the Silver Arrow.
- If you have cash to burn; go for the TRUE Copper and pair it with a 5400 rpm Gentle Typhoon fan...

Back