• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just another Mousepot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well let me try and state my thoughts a little more clearly.

-34 C is far too high for dry ice. You posted that a while ago while supposedly having bad contact and a heatspreader. If this is the case, then no surprise you're not crossing the clocks you got on the baker cooler.

And furthermore...I swear rookie told me that that cooler was capable of holding somewhere around -50C loaded. If the single stage is really that good, then it'd make sense for your dry ice to be getting around only 10C lower, and your proc not gaining much. Board reporting high? :shrug:

Gautam said:
-34 C is far too high for dry ice.
-34 in BIOS is good, the container temp is likely at -65 or so. The BIOS temp is alot different that the point where the mousepot touches the CPU. When my SS is at -50 (evap), my BIOS reports about -24.

El<(')>Maxi said:
Damn, well I couldn't get this 57 more stable than on the single stage. I suppose this means I need to pop the IHS, and I'm not in a big hurry to try that just yet. Or it could be not the best contact although I can't see how that possible. I didn't even use the springs with the mounting and it was very tight.

I also ended up with the pot frozen to the board lol, and believe me I had it setup very well. I need to figure out a way to seal the bottom of the insulation where it sits on the mobo. Had some nice temps tho, -34° BIOS, 9° colder than the Baker cooler :D
Have you tried running the RAM at low speeds to see if it is cold bug? The colder you go, the weaker you have to set drive str.

Well those are some good idea's donko, I have not tried lower drive strengths or ram frequencies yet. I was trying lower Mhz only. All the other guys using this container over at XS didn't have to drop Ram speeds so I figured I was good. Next time I will use a different approach. I would be interested in hearing anything further about Drive Strength and how it works if anyone knows about that.

Gautam donkey is right, I was mentioning BIOS temps only. The container is about -67° when the system is running so about 8-9 degree's colder than single stage.

9mmCensor said:
haha

I love that hatchet.

Use it to help presaude your chip to oc higher? ;)

That hatchet has been places. I bought it for a friend who was in construction, we went to Ireland together, he decided to stay, then met a German girl and moved to Frankfurt with her. His brother went to visit and brought it over with his other tools. The sad part is he was manic depressive and ended up killing himself :( then she came over here and brought it back with her.

El<(')>Maxi said:
Well those are some good idea's donko, I have not tried lower drive strengths or ram frequencies yet. I was trying lower Mhz only. All the other guys using this container over at XS didn't have to drop Ram speeds so I figured I was good. Next time I will use a different approach. I would be interested in hearing anything further about Drive Strength and how it works if anyone knows about that.

Gautam donkey is right, I was mentioning BIOS temps only. The container is about -67° when the system is running so about 8-9 degree's colder than single stage.
Cold bug for an FX-57 will kick in usually @ -60 to -80. The first thing that will happen is your RAM will become unstable at the speeds it can usually run. I am thinking you are starting to hit the edge of the cold bug line and you will have to reduce your RAM speed and/or drive strength a bit.

For temps and mem drive strength, it basically works like this:
The colder the CPU gets, the more you are driving the memory controller (drive str increases). When the mem controller drive gets too high, you get instability. Setting drive strength to weak compensates for the high mem controller strength due to cold to an extent.

Hope this helps!

Eldonko said:
Cold bug for an FX-57 will kick in usually @ -60 to -80. The first thing that will happen is your RAM will become unstable at the speeds it can usually run. I am thinking you are starting to hit the edge of the cold bug line and you will have to reduce your RAM speed and/or drive strength a bit.

For temps and mem drive strength, it basically works like this:
The colder the CPU gets, the more you are driving the memory controller (drive str increases). When the mem controller drive gets too high, you get instability. Setting drive strength to weak compensates for the high mem controller strength due to cold to an extent.

Hope this helps!

do all these factors you have to lower in order to cool lower and oc the prosessor higher really worth it preformance wise? I mean even though you took your FX to 4GHz, overall with all these other components tunned down, does the system preform better then perhaps at a slightly lower cpu clock but faster ram speeds etc.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
do all these factors you have to lower in order to cool lower and oc the prosessor higher really worth it preformance wise? I mean even though you took your FX to 4GHz, overall with all these other components tunned down, does the system preform better then perhaps at a slightly lower cpu clock but faster ram speeds etc.
Using weak drive strength does not affect performance, only stability. Some CPUs are fine with dice, some are better with SS depending on where your cold bug kicks in. Ideally you want to get your CPU to the temp right before cold bug so you can keep your RAM clocks they way you want with the coldest possible temp.

If lowering RAM speed a bit will allow extra Mhz, it may be worth trying it. Running whatever benches will tell you what is faster.

El<(')>Maxi

I would be interested in hearing anything further about Drive Strength and how it works if anyone knows about that.

EMC2

There are two drive strengths... what are typically called DRAM Drive Strength (or sometimes simply Drive Strength ) and Data Drive Strength.

They control the drive strength of two seperate groups of signals to/from the memory.

Drive strength itself has nothing to do per say with the actual voltage levels of the signals. What it controls is the slew rate of the signals - i.e. how much current is available to drive the signals from one state to the other (high-to-low or low-to-high).

Too weak of a drive strength limits your max OC because it takes longer for the signals to transition (change) from one state to another.

Too strong of a drive strength can cause ringing and signal reflections, which means it will take longer before the signals stabilize after a transition, which again limits your max OC.

There are also other factors that come into play (like termination resistor values, the structure of the output drivers in the memory chips, etc.) that determine the best drive strength for a particular setup.

In regards to what the numbers indicate in regards to slewrates - varies by MB... but for the DFI nF4, Bigtoe's info in the thread you linked tells you the answer in regards to which numbers are stronger and which are weaker drive strengths.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65168

That's the best explanation I've ever been given :).

El<(')>Maxi said:

Thats crazy, what kind of single stage is that?

My MB can't read bellow -35c on the CPU, I never saw temps even approach that.

It's a Baker unit running R22 on a 1HP rotary. As far as BIOS temps go, I really dont think an A64 on NF4 has a limit.

Exibit A - FX55-LN2-DFI NF4 ;)

By JacobHansen

_119.jpg

fishy yhpm

El<(')>Maxi said:
It's a Baker unit running R22 on a 1HP rotary. As far as BIOS temps go, I really dont think an A64 on NF4 has a limit.

Exibit A - FX55-LN2-DFI NF4 ;)
You found an FX that can function with LN2? It's a 130nm I assume?

Any luck with cold bug on your 57? I did some dice benching on the weekend, cold bug was there for me too. RAM clocked fine, but the board would not do over 278-279 HTT. :bang head

Back