• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got an BFG 7800 GS OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDM

Registered
Welp just like the title says. how much of a different will it make if i OCed it? and what should i OC this thing to exactly? just a rough estimate?

and is all i need is coolbits? iam not used to OCing with nvidia. i always been an ATI fan, but my good ole trust Radeon 9800 pro died on me.. so i decided to test out the NVidia.. so i like it..

so how much should i OC this thing? average temp in the case is around 28C (only because its the winter)

and theres also a fan right next beside the Videocard because of my cheiftec side case window. its an 80mm TOrnado actually...

welp.... so how should i OC this thing and what exactly should i OC this thing too? and how much of a different will it actually make?

Since you are an ATI fan, you are probably familiar with a little program called ATITool. It's a great program that you can use to find your cards maximum overclocks (for both memory and gpu). Oh yes...and it now supports nVidia cards =)

Check it out
http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Might help if you list what proc your using. But most likely you would want to OC your processor so it could keep up with the 7800GS. Most likely you will not be able to OC the 7800GS very much since it is pre OCed. You might be able to get 500/1500 out of it. Don't worry about cooling because the card runs cool naturally.

thanks for the help guys! i did "find Optimal settings"... and it came out with 650/1500!!!!! i was stoked.. haha and wow.. did this thing really improve my 3dmark06 scores... lol.

JDM said:
thanks for the help guys! i did "find Optimal settings"... and it came out with 650/1500!!!!! i was stoked.. haha and wow.. did this thing really improve my 3dmark06 scores... lol.

Those seem a bit high, does the card actually run at those speeds? What dirvers are you using?

Deadman93723 said:
Those seem a bit high, does the card actually run at those speeds? What dirvers are you using?

You said a bit high:)
Thats smokin if thats not a display error:eek:

It would be nice to know the specifics of your system as I have found that slower systems allow video cards to overclock higher. I have concluded this is becasue the system is the bottleneck and therefore never pushes the video card to it's max. My old 6800NU would run fine at 400/800 in my NF7-S with Barton 2600 mobile @ 2.4 gig but once placed in my K8N Neo2 could only run stock (358/770) without freezing.

Hey gang.
I have that exeat same card, so here is a little reference.
At stock cooling, I am only able to run it 24/7 at 460@1360.
But I would bet that if I had some better cooling it would reach 500@1500.
Best regards brint

Back