• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my new rig running, E6600 looks promising.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morbid

Nitpicker
Finally got my new rig up, I'm in love with it. Such an upgrade over my old 2.8C. Anyway, after installing all the necessities I decided to see if the CPU would do 3GHz out of the box. Still using the stock HSF as well, ordering an Ultra-120 when they're in stock at NewEgg.

It's doing pretty well with no voltage increases. Right now I'm doing SuperPi 32M and Prime95 at the same time while surfing the forums. Showing 45C on each core with coretemp. Is this about right?

EDIT: SuperPi just gave me an error. :(

333, I haven't tried upping the voltage yet. Should I up the vDimm or vCore a notch?

I don't see how it could be doing 45 degrees load CPU temp with only a stock cooler. I've seen some people with idle temp of 45. The thermisters must be inaccurate.

Yes, bump up vdimm and vcore a notch and see what happens.

Other than giving me an error eventually in SuperPi while running in conjunction with Prime95, it seems stable. I'm able to run the programs individually without problem, orthos goes without a hitch at priority 10 for an hour, 3dmark06 does well (9208 score @ 3GHz.) I also played Condemned for a while with everything maxed.

VID is showing 1.3250, seeing a max core temp of 50c during load but the room is a little warm... always has been.

The program Asus provided, PC Probe II, is showing my MB at 46C and my CPU at 26C (idle.) Coretemp is showing 27-29 respectively. Not sure what to make of the temps or how to get more accurate ones.

Last edited:
batboy said:
I don't see how it could be doing 45 degrees load CPU temp with only a stock cooler. I've seen some people with idle temp of 45. The thermisters must be inaccurate.

Yes, bump up vdimm and vcore a notch and see what happens.

I got 30/30C idle and 45/45 load on my Stock E6600 cooler.
Installed my Zalman 9500 and AS5 and get 29/30 idle and 45/45 load.

:bang head

Drinkyoghurt said:
hmm batboy thats odd, my cpu runs 26-32 idle and 55 max load..on stock cooler yes
i do not believe 26c idle for a minute (not that i am doubting YOU, i am doubting temp monitoring programs).

what clocks are running to see those temps?

hUMANbEATbOX said:
what clocks are running to see those temps?

Mine is fresh out of the box with only an FSB overclock to 333x9. No voltage changes, VID saying 1.325. Idling right now at 25-28. It seems to be handling the 3-3-3-5-8 on a 1:1 ratio with no increase as well. Still need to do some stress testing though.

EDIT: After 30 mins, running 2 orthos simultaneously gave me an error. I'm going to relax the timings and see what that does. 4-4-4-12-16.

EDIT 2: Well that didn't work either, went for about an hour before giving up. I upped the vCore to 1.375 and have seen a max of 56C. I'll keep an eye on my temps and see how long it lasts on 2x orthos.

Just realized that running 2 orthos doesn't matter since the first one launches 2 threads. Doh!

Last edited:
I set my vCore to 1.35v in BIOS. VID is showing 1.325v, CPU-Z is showing 1.312v. I put my vDimm at 2.0v as well. Seems to be running pretty well (still at 3GHz.) Been on orthos for over 6 hours now. I increased my clock speeds on the 8800GTS to 580/875(1750) .. bumped my 3dMark06 score to 10020.

I'll mess with it more when I order the Scythe Ninja on Monday, don't feel like waiting for the Ultra-120.

Hey nice setup
I have my system up to 3.4 and primes nicley
all games no crash
all volts stock
temps in the 30's
good luck

Thanks, looks like you got a nice chip to be doing 3.4 at stock voltage. Looks like you could go for 4GHz.

I ordered the Scythe Ninja and some Scythe S-FLEX 1600rpm 120mm's, can't wait to get those in and see what it can really do. It ran orthos for 10+ hours as it sits.

Back