• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just made the vcore mod to my KT Ultra =]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Equalizr don t know if the "kt3 ultra2" has the same voltage regulator chip...you have to control its signature, if the signature is HIP6302, you can assume it.

Omg please tell me how you did this in detail. I have been trying to figure this one out for a little while and would love some advice. I am kind of afraid to solder to my new expensive board, but i want 2 ghz... time to suck it up :]

Valk...firstly you have to know that reaching 2.0 ghz with an Athlon XP1600+ is pretty impossible.
The exagerate frequency you may obtein is about 1.9 ghz.
Passing trought 1840 mhz the cpu became glottuos of more and more voltage and it is the classical "synonymous" when passing the processor frequency limit...in other words it means that we are going out of the architectural specifics.
If you have no experience with iron solder I suggest you to find any person that could do it for you cause it is a very delicated work.
To remain on the tip just yesterday I have downclocked my cpu till to 1870 mhz cause it was not 100% stable before...now it is.
In manner to take other 30 mhz I had to increase the vcore from 1.85 to 1.95.
There was no verse to make the cpu perfectly stable @ 1890 and more!
Well ponder what you want to do.

mmm. i understand these specifics. I have doubted this chips ability to reach 2 ghz. I kinda wanted to try just to say, i did that. but i need this thing to run stable for my art work. Right now, she runs 1806 mhz rock stable, uncrashable.

my ram however craps out at 175.. so at the moment, this is my limit. I am actully impressed that this machine runs so solid at this speed and with air cooling no less.

I have heard numerous times about the 1.8 ghz block for these cpu's. I have also heard that the 2000+ cannot go higher due to a voltage limit.

I am pretty decent at soldering but perhaps I will not void my warantee untill i know that this board isnt going to feck up on me AGAIN.

hehe, i guess im not a true overclocker but perhaps i should be happy enough with 1.8 ghz for $99 canadian :D.

I am happy for the decision you have taken.
Always consider that your chip will never go higher than 1880 mhz being rock solid...but at this freq. I have to say another time it is needed to increase the vcore in an exagerated way!

Well, me trying to get 2ghz is pretty much a waste of my time. i know that this machine handles 1.8 easily and on air. i know i cannot crash it. I went away for a few days and left the cpuburnk7 program running, when i came back, it was still running so this machine is pretty much unkillable. the only thing that makes it die is games like need for speed hot pursuit 2 and its radeon 8500 bug which causes it to freeze. my radeon also does not take kindly to overclocking. Ultimatly, I cannot risk damage to my hardware (this motherboard costing $230 cdn) when I am required to produce art work for a Game project I am enrolled in.

although, 2ghz doesnt appear too out of my grasp, Im done with keeping up with overclocking craziness :)
in the end, i lower all my speeds when doing work and if it cannot acheive days under cpuburnk7, then it isnt a successful overclock.
My friend recently modded his chaintek kt 333 to accept a vcroe voltage of 4 volts. he is running his tbird 1.4 at 1700 mhz with 1.9 vcore. I entertained the thought of a mod like this for burn in purposes, but he has had to replace his board in the last year due to physical damage. He had a kt 2 ultra 2 i belive before which he busted a cap off and fried his northbridge. He will unlickly rape this board as well, so perhaps his advice on mods is not that advice i should be taking LOL.

I could not hear nothing else better than what you have sayd ;) ...however you have mentioned something about Game artworking, isn't it? If yes it is nice to hear that someone else is interested in the game development area :p

I am a semi professional graphic artist currently working for Redmedia on an online rpg. I dont think i could call myself an enthusiest as much ;) but its all good.

I figured out why my radeon wouldnt run at 285.. simply put, ati's fan sucks and it totally slipped by me to run it at full spead with a motherboard fan header. now i am able to get the 285 out of it which yeilds me 10121 3dmarks on default settings. quite an improvment as when i first built this box, it acheived a rather dissappointing 8788. one might say some tweaking has been going down ;)

Valk, you don't have to solder. You can use the Pomona SMD grabber. Links to their site are on the AMD mobo's general section with the article on volt mods. I use one for my mod. It's removable and therefore untraceable. As you'll see from my sig I have achieved the 2G barrier but not stable. I have been working at it and have been running solid for weeks at 1964 and its time shortly to have another crack at it with some really low chiller temps. I personally wouldn't do this with air. Water is minimum. You also need to apply heat sinks to the mosfets and the very small ic between the mosfets. I am running coolant at -10C and the cpu gets up to 19C under load so there is a lot of heat coming off the core.

About me...mmh...sorry I can t tell you anything more about myself :p
Your g.adapter is a nice one, I prefer Ati than nVidia, but obiviously I don t like "immediate renderers".
The 8500 card has a good potetial, a robust geometry setup, good FSAA but if I well remember it has a poor Aniso. filtering.(I am speaking in terms of performance)
...don't speak about drivers ;)

when you figure out a way to hit 2 ghz stable, let me know. I am in the process of constructing a water cooling system that will fit inside my case to work in conjunction with a 172 watt peltier unit. this is expensive stuff though and In the immediate moment, i am fucusing on the cheapy, pop can centric system ;). I want something quiet as god damn a volcano 9 ducted with 2 feeds makes a lot of noise from behind. the comp is sucking in air from outside right now thanks to some plumbers ducting with 2 60 mm fans on the end.

while on the cooling sudject, im sorta half trying to decide id i wanna cool mod my radeon. I want to put and cyrstal orb on it. but at athe same time, i wanna design my own heat sink kinda like this mockup i made some months ago.

http://ev0one.idleplay.net/samples/redmedia_R8500.jpg

we will see, but today, ill just get a crystal orb and slap her on. this thing needs a non crack ducted cooling system that looks like smegg. my pc is starting to look like a small car engine inside with all its various ducts and manifolds for airflow.. its sick.

2G is difficult to achieve even with water. The highest I got with water was 1870. Its purely the low temps that are getting the very high numbers. In the past I have found that pushing the system just below the max for a few hundred hours just gives it the ability to get there.

your 2010 intimidates me... sigh. I wanna compete with that, but this is a good cpu, i would hate to burn it. or my super expensive board... well, not super but up there. My radeon fan died today, so ill have to replace it with somthing before i think any more about ocing my 1600 more. my pc look sad. it really does lol. but damn does it work well. I spent about 2 hours this morning in photoshop (which is the first time since i built this that i did any hard core work) and crap.. now i know why i baught this upgrade in the first place.

Hi Tiger ;) hi Valk ;)
Valk you got Tiger's and mine experience here...maybe Tiger has something more but we have either tested and stressed our cpu's very well.
With a decent water cooling system is pretty impossible going higher than 1870 mhz...infact it was the freq. that I could reach till yesterday.
Just some hours ago I have bought a new and very good water block...I think it is one of the best around. It is all copper made and its dimensions are 60x50x25. It weights around 400 gr. !
After have sealed it and well placed it on my adorable motherboard, the max freq I could receive fron my cpu was (183.50*10.5 - ~1927 mhz).
Now I don t doubt that using a peltier will give some extras but the frequency increase value(delta) won t be higher than 60/80 mhz and using something like this cooling system is a bit dangerous: you have to consider the condensation and the very high vcore you will be forced to use for.
So I suggest you a good and classic H2O cooling system that surelly will give you one hundred mhz extra.
Passing on the game dev. tip I still can t say anything about ;)

psh. which gives it away entirely. well. As a professional myself, I respect that. I am just vocal ;)
I hear what you are saying and i have done my homework. I will build a water system, but atm, my air cooling is doing pretty well.
machine runs max load of 51º on a volcano 9 at 1800 mhz. i cant complain at all. I think ill wait a bit. im having some issues with my radeon and higher speeds. it refuses to operate at anything higher than 275 mhz. i got a crystal orb today which... for some reason, maybe its just me, seems to not move much air. my blue orb was much better for air movment. but this fan is working well regardless. makes the same amount of noise. I might remove the fan grill from it as i think this will help somewhat.

Valk...believe me if I can t say anything more about me.

Ati g. adapters are famous for their non-overclocking tolerance.
I got a friend of mine that has tring to do the same thing: increasing it of some mhz. The result was he couldn t go higher than 277 mhz.
I think it would be better to focalize yourself in making a good water cooling system in manner to well stress your cpu and taking apart your graphic system that seems to don t appreciate the o.clock idea ;)

well. when i say it refuses to operate, that is not entirely true. 3dmark still gives the marks but the card performs really crappy. ie, the fill rate test that normal runs flawless, chokes horribly. nature dies a death of reading 50 fps, but chopping every other frame. and if i set my core too high, the high poly 8 light test freezes. further more, my 2d sucks if i raise the card to higher than 275. at 275, it seems happy enough although, does work much better without rage tweak. although, with it, i get a bunch of gui accelleration benefits which i really want to keep. kinda makes me wonder if i wanna buy another ati card down the road. i have had numerous issues and one dead 8500 already. I now have a strictly ornimental 64 mb 8500 with dvi and no tv out that no one can identify. heh. but i deserved that, i baught it off ebay. it lasted about 6 months though. I had that pretty much the whole time i had my Pentium III 733. which was my first pc that was actully mine. before that, i had to leech around on my mum's box. (that sounds bad) oh well. now ic an say I have pc that kick sizable ***.

one of these days, Ill need to make an inquiry about an xp 1800+ that my roomate baught. he baught retail to get a fan that was suitable. he has a volcano 6cu, so i dont know why. he wanted a quiet pc so we ended up raping the amd fan and put that onto the volcano 6 heat sink which works well. we put the volcano fan onto the amd heat sink to make a crack volcano 2. that we will use to cool our new little computer, a athlon 1000.

but he has a weird stepping i have not read about. ill get back to you fine gentlement about it some other time.

Back