• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just made the vcore mod to my KT Ultra =]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I repeat myself saying that the g.adapter you are using is pretty good and killing it by having only a small freq. extra is not a good idea ;)
If you are interested in taking a new video card I suggest you to wait only a while. Before Christmas we will see a lot of delicious new peaces of hardwae and surelly current video adapters prices will drop.
When you will be ready to begin your work don t hesitate to ask me some questions...I will be happy to help you in finding crazy ideas.
It is came the time to say you good bye Valk...see you to the next time my Canadian friend =]

He he. i fully understand how this market works. i may sound like an idiot at times, but heh. that is just the way i am able to speak after work. my hands are still friggen cold... cant type right.. arg.

I really like my radeon 8500. I have had one since i got my pIII in january. I can totaly support how kick *** it is, and i dont intend to get a new one for some time. at least not untill the NEXT radeon. 9700 is not much of an upgrade considering and my 8500 is only like 20% slower than the fastest gefoce 4 cards. so meh to that. ALthough, i get to start college this spring, i might wanna scope out the market again as my major is going to be real time cinematogrophy. I want to make 3d movies, but in real time hardware. the r 9700 has the power and feature set to make this possible.

as for my plans to mod, im gonna wait. im not building a super water cooler to overclock this 1600 further, I am building it to be able to run the next gen athlons after 2700+ on this board, and not kill my ear drums. my machine is more bearable now that i have ducted it and used some acustic techniques on those ducts carried over from model airplane building. the 48 - 50 i had from my volcano 9 has become closer to 30 now for my whole box... unless you are behind it. I like my cooling, but with a small internal water cooler, it will make less noise and cool better.
im thinking ill base mine around the perma cool radiator with a ducted alluminum 120 mm with a temp sensor control. I will put a temp sensor on the water resevoir and if that temp increases, the radiator fan will just spin up. even at 1.8 with this, i cannot see needing to run a water cooled fan at the max speed. although, to kill noise, i want to removed both my radeon and msi nb cooler and replace them with water blocks. this will allow me to use a single intake and exaust to totally kill noise. im kinda poor, so ill wait untill i go back to BC this winter for a week. I have access to tooling such as a cnc mill and a lathe. also, a dremel to butcher my case as needed :D.I kind of want to build a water block from scratch, and i have the machineing experience to do so. could be neat and if i succeed, ill be taking messloads of pics of my machine. actully, ill do that anyway, cause mum has a digital camera.

I believe it is pretty cold there, in Canada. :D
When I was young I lived there for about 1 year, and I well know how you can fill.
I am so happy you understood how the computer market turns around =]
You have to consider that all people here have not all those money to purchase what they want...there wouldn t be needed to overclock as well as it is if it was false.
What I have to say? Take care of your o'clock work and make a good job ;)

p.s. Don t hesitate to contact me via private-messanger!

/me thinks he made a friend.

cool.
ill do that.. no long reply for this morning, must go make food for disscourtious calgarians...

Michal[mt] said:
Hi all.
First of all I want to thank Tiger who gave me a little hand in made this mod working.
I have applied the vcore mod using a 47 KOhm pot(trimmer) to the voltage regulator named as HIP6302.
It was not too easy in soldering the 2 wires on the chip...but finally I obteined a nice result.
Now I have the chance to reach a multipier factor of 10.5 and increase the FSB as I wish.
Using the pot. it is very easy to increase the vcore till to 2.20 volts and more ;)

Which pine to use on the 6302 please?.pin 7 or 10 don't works thank you .

I think it was clear enough...however I will repeat myself for another one time.
It is needed to connect a trimmer(of 47 Kohm if possible) or a resistence of 18 Kohm for having 2.00 volts or a greater one to have more voltage. Pins that have to be connected to the trimmer/resistence are: pin7 and pin9.
You can do a variation and it is by connecting the following pins: pin10 and pin9.(this method is not suggested)

I hate to be a bother, but would it be possible to get a pic of your board showing me where the volt reg is? there are numberous chips on mine with almost too faint to read text on them. so i honestly do not know which one is the volt reg. I kinda wanna try this out. my athlon is slowly burning itself in and needs only 1.81 volts to run now at 1.8 ghz, at 1.85 there is a good chance i might be able to hit 1.9 ghz and with the volt mod, i want to try to 2 ghz stable. my fsb dies at 171 mhz with this ram, so the only way to acheive higher clock speed is to raise my multiplier. i figure 12x170 will work with my new sk 7 heat sink, ducted. im working on an exaust duct as well so that the hot air coming off the heat sink is pumped directly out of the tower as to not heat up my other components. this will be done using 2 60 mm fans and a pizza box and duct tape, much like my intake feed ;)

Hi Valk.
Don t think you bother anybody ;) It is simple to understand you are afraid about doing something wrong with your mobo.
Once I wanted to do some pics of my work but I never had any sort of digital camera or somewhat similar, so I never could take some shots.
The reg. chip is one of the smallest around and it is signed HIP6302. You can find it near the ATX power connector.
However I repeat that it is pretty impossible to reach 2.0 ghz.
My actual max freq. is 1927 mhz and I can t go 5 mhz higher!
About what you have sayd, I am referring to the 1.9 ghz freq using ONLY 1.9 volts, I have to say that is it is pretty impossible too. Using 1.9 volts with one of the best XP1600+ processors only allows you to boot and watching something like Sandra 2001 and maybe going around the net.
Infact using 1.95 volts it allows me to boot and to make a very simple usage of my system but my cpu needs +/- 2.10 volts in manner to be 100% stable.
I forgot...it is needed a good PSU too, now I am using my 300watt one to only take care of my motherboard and cpu and another old 250watt one for the rest.

p.s. I suggest you and to all people that want to do this mod. by using a 25 rounds Trimmer or a Potentiometer. Don t use a single round trimmer(it is a tedious work adjusting the vcore with it).

Perhaps I can help. Looking at the mobo at the bottom left hand corner of the cpu socket you'll see a hole for mounting blocks/heatsinks and immediately to the left of this is a small ic. This is the HIP ic. The top is on the socket side so the leg you are looking for is the second last towards the donut coil at the back of the mobo on the top row.

Hi All. Here I am came back ;)
In these days I well pondered the idea in changing my mobo and finally I realized it came the time to do it.
So I have sold my nice KT3 ultra and bought a A7V333 rel.1.04 with no "gadgets" like the raid ctrl.
The nature of this choice was the HIP6302 chip instability.
I discovered, and it was not too hard, that the KT3 v.regulator chip is not done as well as others.
For instance: if I set it to give ~2.05 the two extreme peaks were not the same all the times. Sometime the voltage went from 2.016 to 2.064! There was a 0.048v. gap!
Surelly using a small fan on the reg.chip it would help but the matter here is that this chip was not developed to reach more than 1.85 volts.
If someone is still planning to do this mod, personally I don t suggest to going higher than 1.95 volts. Higher you will go and higher the HIP6302 chip unstable will be.
That's all.

well. im not going to bother doing this i think. 1.8 ghz unbreakable is FINE BY ME! lol.
actully, i have started to look ahead anyway to the new xp's with barton core that will show up on the market soon. It is unfortunate that the kt 400 does not have a 1/6 divider though as i was hopeful of running this pc 3500U ram at spec with one. did you ever try up to 200 mhz? by my math, that runs a pci of 40 mhz which is a little too high for my personal liking. I have heard that kt 400 chipsets are less likely to corrupt you hdd, but im still kinda iffy about the whole thing. I thought i might try to unlock this here athlon and force it to use 200 mhz fsb with the 1400mhz core. could be interesting.

you never did answer my icq!

oh and check my temps! i dont think overheating is anything to be worried about.

Hi Valk.
I am confused...are you referring to Tiger or to me?
However I don t use my icq from two yrs, maybe. So if you have tried to contact me via icq messanger I could not answer you, sorry.
Let me say you have taken the right choice: don t do that mod, from a mine point of view is too unstable.
MSI makes very good motherboards but AsusTek have learned from the past how the voltage sub-system important is and how it have to be well implemented.
Bye =}

Last edited:
Back