• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know how you guys survive up north sure its hot here but we got the beach weather all year. In January were fishing in the keys and you guys are freezing !

I went to school at FAU for a year scout and have a few relatives that live in Florida. It's a nice place to visit but I could never live there. I like my seasons!

I couldn't imagine the fish being very lively when they are ice cubes lol. I assume everyone is drunk in the ice hut so maybe that's what makes the fishing a challenge lol.

Not sure, I've never gone ice fishing myself. I hear the hut on the ice gets quite warm inside.

Yes ice fishing does involve alcohol but most things up here do. You'd be surprised how hungry some of those big fish are in the winter.
Jump ahead to about a minute in that's where the action starts.

We have seasons just they go like this Hot,Hot,Hot,Warm. That is a pretty impressive fish for fishing in a 8" hole in the ice, they must have to wait awhile for something to get the bait. We sight fish here redfish, snook and bass.

You have to go deep where the fish are, they're a bit sluggish too since they're preserving their energy. Once that big sucker took the bait it was probably an hour or more before he pulled it in. They don't go without a fight.
I don't mind the seasons here , winter has it's moments and we just find things to do with the snow. Like this we call it bumper shining. Sliding behind a vehicle on the snow till you wipe out.

That looks fun but Coooooooold, I feel cold when it hits the 60's lol, do you guys have snow machines ? I have always wanted to do that.

I have but not anymore. It's a bit like riding a seadoo but more solid and smoother

What is the water temp of the great lakes this time of year, does it ever really get warm enough to swim and stuff ?

That depends on the lake. Erir the one closest to me will get up to about 70f in the summer because it's quite shallow compared to the others. Ontario,Michigan and Huron, low 60s and Superior the biggest deepest and furthest north 50-55f depending where you are. Not quite bath tub temps. Erie is the best for swimming, Huron is tolerable but you have to wait till this time of year before it warms up to low 60s

I've seen low 70f's in both Lake Michigan and Lake Huron in the late Summer Early fall. A lot of that depends on how hot the summer is. Lake Superior never EVER warms up.

I just remember how cold the water was when my dad took me to Quebec when I was a kid and it was late summer.

I miss the cold. From Missouri, now in Texas. The heat and food is literally trying to kill me.

But the wildlife has been nice so far... which is a bonus.

Water temps can very allot across Ontario and Quebec. The Ottawa river which is big and deep in allot of places with heavy currents will get up to mid 70*C temps in the main part of the river but once in the bays you can see low/mid 80*c temps. White Lake near by can get to mid 80*c as well. I live on Buck Lake near Kingston Ont and had the boat out on the weekend, noticed the temps were pretty warm down at the shallow end @ 82*c but would imagine imagine main Lake to be around 75*c+. Right now it has been HOT with temps in the 30*C+ range and humidity . That up to low 40*C tell you one think when it gets this hot that 70*C water feels so nice.

Man that's a hot lake at 80°C, you must be catching the bass par boiled :clap:

The gulf is 85-87 degrees but when its 95 degrees out it still feels good, but this is the time of year we retreat to some of the springs where the water stays nice and cool all year.

Man that's a hot lake at 80°C, you must be catching the bass par boiled :clap:

80*C is pretty much par for the course I. The sallow muddy bays. Keep in mind that's surface temp taken about 1' from the surface from my fish finders temp sensor. I have seen it as high as 85*C but then you get a kind of algie growing if there is no flow and the bass move out to better water.

Are you sure it's not Fahrenheit, 80 Celsius is almost boiling.

Back