• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Started on my Water Chiller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just don't forget to fill the slocket with Diaelectric, and insulate the back of the board behind the cpu .

Hey,

Just a little update. I got a thermometer and it looks like the water temp in the res right at -9.2C and it has not moved in a while now. It pulled down to that in about 45 min. I got the stuff to insulate the MOBO and the diaelectric grease. I just need to pull the board out. Should be done in a few more days i was busy all weekend so ill see what happens this week.

Lotec25

Ok,

Here are a few updates. instead of using this the fridge i picked myself up a Windows A/C unit for 15 dollars and it is almost done. I got a few pics.

Lotec25

Attachments

• 100_0053.jpg
    100_0053.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 890
Frost how nice.

Lotec25

Attachments

• 100_0066.jpg
    100_0066.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 885
It's a 5800 BTU unit. And no the compressor is not tweaked. It is running r22. here is a pic of the sticker on it.

Attachments

• 100_0062.jpg
    100_0062.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 848
Ok well it is completed i just got to get it on the mobo and change the liquid in it. Just so everyone knows just because it says Antifreeze does not mean it will not freeze i am running at -20C and it looks like a frozen pond in my cooler. Anyone up for some ice fishing? LOL Here are 2 pics of it Froze over ill be putting some different liquid in it tommorow and it will be finished up.

Lotec25

Freeze it!

Attachments

• 100_0074.jpg
    100_0074.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 831
and last one. Hope you enjoy ill post more pics as i get it hooked to the MOBO.

Lotec25

Freeze it!

Attachments

• 100_0075.jpg
    100_0075.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 819
Lotec congrats on the set-up man.

This is exactly what I want to do in the very near future. I will be running proboly the same BTU air conditioner that you currently have running. I cant wait till you post up the rest of the pictures.

Again some questions:

1. How much heat does it produce once its at its optimal temp?

2. Again how loud is it? Could you sleep with that thing in the room?

3. What temps are you getting in the res? Also at the socket?

4. This one you will not be able to answer right away but I would like to know how this unit affects your power bill. I want to run this but not if its going to cost $100 a month in juice. I might have to lower the operating temp so its not always running.

Anyway congrats man on the chiller. I wish I could find a cheap used A/C unit that would be great.

Keep us posted! :D

Ad Rock,

Yea i ran into a deal on it they have a huge sale out here every weekend and the guy started at 25 on it and sold it for 15 it had some rust and i needed to clean and paint it. I wish it would of actually be a 5000 BTU unit there is not much room in the res to put the pump with the 5800 it's going to be a tight fit. But for the price i cant beat it. And my wife was really fliping out because i was going to buy a new one. LOL Also i took off the thermostat and the Hi Low controller and just put a kill switch on it. Also i have seen where alot of people have broke the copper tubbing trying to bend it. I did not have this problem at all and i did not use a tubing binder i had a pair of pliers to help me with tight bends but it bent easy.

Ok the first question i never feel any heat it just feel like alot of air room temp being pushed threw it. So what i have read everywhere else about people saying it is hot i dont see it unless it is just because it is a smaller unit and it has to run harder.

Second question, Yes it is loud could i sleep with it running NO WAY. It is the fan that is loud i am going to work on that in the morning i have it hooked up so that the fan is running at max i am going to change it to low. The other thing i am looking at doing is just using a regular fan that is much smaller. From how i understand it you just need enough fan to keep the compressor cool. Ill be doing this tommorow also ill let yea know. But also i dont see a reason for leaving it running all night or all day. It pulled down to -20C in about 18 min so all i am going to do is start it about 20 min before i get on the puter let it run and then start the puter.

Third question, The res got down to -20C i turned it off because the liquid was almost frozen solid over 3/4 of the liquid was actually. I have to get a better mixture and i am trying to keep from running pure alcohol. As for the socket ill let you know as soon as i get it hooked up this weekend. I ordered a new danner mag 5 today i dont think my Via 1300 would push the liquid like i want it to.

And the fourth question, I will let you know i am not expecting it to be alot more but ill find out and ill keep yea posted.

I got a few more pics ill post right now of it and ill get the rest tommorow. If you got some more questions let me know

Lotec25

Freeze it!

Attachments

• 100_0070.jpg
    100_0070.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 805
Last edited:
and one more.

Lotec25

Freeze it!

Attachments

• 100_0069.jpg
    100_0069.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 529
Sounds cool man keep us posted on the results :D.

I just want to say you do a really nice job on making it look complete/neat unlike a lot of homemade chillers I have seen that have parts all over the place and looks pretty ugly :). I think for the noise problem I might try mounting 2 120mm fans and make a shroud for them to see if that helps.

Your project is getting me very excited for my own :D.

Ok,

I got some denatured alcohol today and some antifreeze so ill see what i can do with this. Also i wired the fan to just run on the low setting now. It is alot quieter now.

Ad Rock,

Thanks for the complements it makes me feel good knowing that other people like how it looks. I still have the outside case that i am going to paint and put back on it i am just trying to get it all figured out. There are still a few things that i want to get done to it. So after the case gets put on i am sure it will look alot better. Just got to think of a nice color to paint it. Maybe black with blue metal flake i dont know yet i have to cut it a little. I got a few more pics up. Something else that i forget to mention is that the lids on the coolers are not instulated they are hollow. So i drilled a few holes and put some of the spray foam in there. And also after sitting all night with the lid opened it was still frozen this morning it took it 30 min sitting outside in the SoCal sun to unthaw so i could get the res off to get rid of the liquid. I got a few pics ill post. Enjoy

Lotec25
FREEZE IT!

Attachments

• 100_0076.jpg
    100_0076.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 530
One more

Lotec25

FREEZE IT!

Attachments

• 100_0077.jpg
    100_0077.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 527
last one for now. Here you can see the screws in the holes where i sprayed the foam in.

Lotec25

FREEZE IT!

Attachments

• 100_0078.jpg
    100_0078.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 525
Ok it got down to -22C and the mix is working.

Lotec25

Attachments

• 100_0086.jpg
    100_0086.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 509
Magic_man,

I only spent 50 dollars. Just keep looking for a cheap A/C unit there out there you can find them.

Lotec25

Freeze it!

Back