• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k6-2+ overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pdug175

Since I bought my k6-2+ 500 I've been running it at a lower speed, I only had a crappy old HSF fan and didnt want to kill the chip so I clocked it to 450mhz whilst I waited for my new FOP-32 and Artic silver II.

My new HSF arrived and I put it in, but now.... I'm recieving the BSOF :( nooooooooo. I was running at 600 mhz a feasable option but I was getting problems under load. I kept clocking it down and I'm once again running it @ 450mhz yet stilll ocasionally getting the BSOD. When the screen comes up i just hit the space bar return to windows and everything seems to be fine. I'm not running my FSB out of key and im running the correct 2.0v setting, does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Is it possibly a power supply problem, the supply on this PC once powered my 486?

I checked the case and the CPU is probably the coolest thing in the whole thing, i mean I'm underclocking a notoriously cool power saving chip by 50mhz, using a HSF capable of cooling an Athlon along with Artic silver II. Surely the chip isnt overheating? Eh...?

you sure 2.0v is what the chip needs cause my k6-2 default is 2.4v and it won't work for crap anything lower than 2.4v even when underclocked to 300mhz or anything for that matter even 166mhz which is the lowest i can take the chip won't work without 2.4v.. but then again it won't overclock at all even with 3.0v not even 15mhz stable... lol

The k6-2+ chip is designed for laptops and was one of the final k6 chips released. Its voltage setting is 2.0v.

I remember when I was reading up on the FOP 38 it said you shouldnt connect the fan to the motherboard because of power issues, although I'm running the FOP 32 with a less power hungry fan do you think the same principal applys? I mean why the hell am I getting the BSOD?

Back