• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep getting BSOD's!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So every 3-6 hours I will get a BSOD. I have no idea what could be causing it. Here is the dump file. If you need any other info, just ask.

120717-7906-01.dmp 12/7/2017 12:39:22 AM DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x000000d1 fffff800`dfd7e017 00000000`0000000d 00000000`00000008 fffff800`dfd7e017 ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+1640e0 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+1640e0 C:\Windows\Minidump\120717-7906-01.dmp 8 15 16299 847,716 12/7/2017 12:40:15 AM

I have updated all drivers.

Try to reset OC and see will it happen again, when oc is eliminated if that was problem OC it again. Idk what else to suggest, same happend to me I thought it was stable but I was wrong

What is the load like when it crashes? During gaming or other activities?

If it is the system in the sig, I'd have to assume unstable overclock. The voltage sounds very low for the clock. Like others have said, undo the CPU overclock totally and make sure the system is stable. If confirmed, then you can work on finding a stable overclock again.

Or just lower the overclock. You are only running 1.25 vcore at 5 ghz. That is probably not enough voltage to have a stable overclock at 5.0 ghz. Lower the overclock to say, 4.6 ghz temporarily and see if it becomes stable. Most people running the Kaby Lake i5s and i7s at 5.0 ghz are using more like 1.375-1.4 vcore I think and not all of those CPUs will even do 5 ghz at any kind of reasonable voltage.

And what kind of stress testing at 5.0 ghz did you do in the first place?

I would also run sfc/scannow in an elevated command prompt to check for any os corruption.

There was no integrity violations. I dropped the OC to 4.5 @1.25vcore. Used Asus Real Bench and P95 (older version) for stability. Just strange to me I have run at 5.0, 1.25 for 7 months now with no problems. Just started having issues with the fall windows version. Should I run memtest too? Most of the time the load is heavy with WoW, but sometimes it'll be at no load.

Did lowering the overclock to 4.5 stop the BSOD issue? Have you given it enough time to know for sure?

Also, have you upgraded the bios lately? Many of the motherboard manufacturers issued bios updates a few months after the 270 boards debuted that significantly changed C states and voltages. Lots of folks had to redo their overclocks because they were no longer stable. I was one of them. Whatever the cause here, clearly you need to redo you over clock and find the true stability point.

Yes, you should run memtest86. What you describe can be caused by a memory problem. But my money is on the vcore being now too low. Chips do deteriorate over time as well, though if you are only running 1.25 vcore that should not degrade the chip unless your LLC and other power states are jacking it up a lot under load and you are loading it heavy and often.

It hasn't blue screened yet. Nothing new for the BIOS except an ME tool. Couldn't get that to do anything. I'll keep it at 4.5 for a week and if doesn't blue screen I'll slowly raise the vcore and OC.

It hasn't blue screened yet. Nothing new for the BIOS except an ME tool. Couldn't get that to do anything. I'll keep it at 4.5 for a week and if doesn't blue screen I'll slowly raise the vcore and OC.

Yeah, that's the correct approach. Use a newer version of Prime95 that tests the AVX2. Give yourself that hedge. It will make more heat and be more difficult to pass but if you get it stable having worked the AVX it will likely be stable period. You can also set the AVX ratio in bios a little lower than the overall multiplier as well so that when AVX instruction sets are in use the CPU cores are only running at say, 46x in stead of 48x. It might already be that way by default in bios. Check it out. AVX instructions are not used much in general computing but like I say, it would give you a stability hedge if you can pass stability testing when they are being used. You'll want to be able to complete at least a two hour newer Prime95 test.

Last edited:
When I had it overclocked to 5.0 I lowered the AVX ratio to 4.8. I'll keep the AVX ratio on 0 while using the 4.5 clock. I'll use the newest version of p95 and make sure it's using the AVX. Thank you for all your help, it is much appreciated.

Ok, ran p95 on small fft's for 2 hours. No blue screens but temps did get up to 85c. Later I will raise the clocks to 4.8, raise the vcore to 1.3 and then run p95 for 2 hours again. Temps will likely reach 95c-100c though.

small fft's are great for taxing the cores but use blend sometimes to check the RAM and the IMC.

You're running out of temp room. Have you considered delidding the CPU? Really easy these days with Kaby Lake because the PCB is pretty vacant and because of the nice delidding tools available. You'll knock load temps down by 10-20c.

I thought of delidding, but I have the 2 year warranty with Micro Center. Would they be able to tell if it was delidded if I had to exchange it down the road?

Yes, they would be able to tell it was delidded but the chances of a CPU failing are pretty small.

Back