• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep my 760's or take the nVidia 10x0 plunge...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkPurity

I was considering upgrading, but after advice and seeing benches, I think I'm just going to get an NH-15 and OC my CPU to current speeds. I'll be using an ASRock Extreme4 if that's the path I take, as I need to replace the mobo.

Currently, the machine in question has two 4GB 760's in SLI. Games which fail to take advantage of SLI properly, such as Fallout 4, are beginning to suffer. I game at 1080p and will go from that straight to VR on an HTC Vive. A single card solution seems like the wiser move right now.

This leaves me with questions.
* Will the 2600k overclocked be enough to push VR, since technically the minimum processor for the Vive is a later-gen i5 that is a little slower?
*Am I better to go with the 1080 or the 1070, since both are very much capable of supporting VR, since I game at less than 4k when doing conventional gaming?
*If I were to buy today, I couldn't get my usual brand (EVGA) due to limited availability...so would Xotac, MSI, or any other brand give me the same reliability EVGA has? Who should I avoid?

It's been years since any of this has been a concern, so I'm a bit behind the times. Thank you in advance for your advice!

Question 1: that's marketing BS, your OC'ed 2600K will fly through VR, heck, I am sure it would pass even at stock speed!
Question 2: if your budget allows, go 1080.
Question 3: I'd wait for EVGA availability, but that's just me...

1. 2600K is fine.
2. what res DO you game at? 1080p... 1070 should be fine even for vr. 2560x1440? Go 1080.
3. Zotac, MSI, ASUS are all fine brands. We should have our review up of the MSI 1070 Gaming X here in a couple of days (its a very solid card ;)).

I loved my 760 strikers, blew them both up and sorely miss them, I still have a pair of 2 gig 760's that will give a titan a scare still, but they are showing their age.........
your 2600k rig will do fine at 1080p with a 1070, single or multi monitor.

I only have hearsay to go by for the 2600k in VR. But on the giantbombcast (a weekly gaming podcast that I highly recommend) Jeff Gerstmann stated that he finally felt the need to upgrade his 4.5ghz 2600k to something modern to stop the jittering and improve minimum framerate and he stated moving to the 6700k did that. He had a 980 or 980ti for reference and was using both the vive and oculus.

Other than that I say the 1070 is fine for your needs.

It occurs to me that I could get two 1070's for only $150-$200 more than one 1080. I'm pretty sure that would get bottlenecked by the processor though, probably even if I did go up to a 6700k...

It occurs to me that I could get two 1070's for only $150-$200 more than one 1080. I'm pretty sure that would get bottlenecked by the processor though, probably even if I did go up to a 6700k...

That's true, and in games that take advantage of multiple GPUs you will get some great scaling (assuming at 1440p or higher resolution), but for games that don't support multi-gpu it would be a waste.

For what it's worth the 6700k would have 0 issues keeping up.

That's true, and in games that take advantage of multiple GPUs you will get some great scaling (assuming at 1440p or higher resolution), but for games that don't support multi-gpu it would be a waste.

For what it's worth the 6700k would have 0 issues keeping up.

I think this is starting to turn into an "upgrade in steps" situation. Which could bring two 1080's into play. I better get my head out of it for a few hours before my drooling shorts the keyboard or I "accidentally" empty my account and have to tell my wife it was Chinese Hackers and they forgot to change the mailing address.

How do you convince the wife that you need a $1500 computer upgrade when you only spent $400 on her whole laptop?

You could get into altcoin mining, although beware that it takes a lot of studying to figure out how to make a decent return on a small investment. And it would take a while to accumulate enough to get a good GPU.

In the end, if you're making the spare money, you should have choice how to use it.

How much did your dual 760's cost back then? How long ago did you buy them? Are there really any games right now that can challenge your 4 GiB 760's @ 1080p?

How do you convince the wife that you need a $1500 computer upgrade when you only spent $400 on her whole laptop?

How do you convince the wife you need a £600 GPU when her car cost £450...

Back