• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

keep or sell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noads

I bought memory during black Friday. So, late December.... too late to return (to Amazon), I believe. So, now, I am not sure what to do. I don't have the funds to complete my build at the moment but I thought buying it on sale was a good idea. It turns out that it is 'Hynix' RAM so if I go with Ryzen, who knows what speed I can get. It's 3200 mhz RAM. I thought I could sell on ebay and see what I can get. Supposedly, I might be able to get 2933 mhz which is actually pretty good. I can accept that but an Intel system would allow for 3200 mhz easily.

I think I could buy Samsung b-die ram for about $60 more than I paid for what I have - so, if I sold on Ebay, maybe I could split the difference of that?

Or just keep it and see what happens.... Ryzen+ and Ryzen 2 or whatever they are called should be available in a month and year (respectively)? I might even be building in between that period.... I am not sure yet. But, I think it sucks to buy RAM at a certain speed and it won't get there if I pick one (AMD) over the other (Intel). I thought I should go with AMD, perhaps, because of Spectre/Meltdown and other reasons.

I don't have a preference otherwise - I would be comparing i5-8400 and R5 1600 - and not a major gamer but these chips are pretty good for the money, I thought....under $300 but wondering what to do with my current memory sticks. If there's no change when new AMD processors / motherboards come out, then I have to decide whether I can live with the slight downgrade in speed. It's not much so I would probably just accept it but there's no guarantee that it would be that high?

Typically you don't want to start buying components until you're ready to build for this exact reason. Especially considering ram has a QVL list that should really be considered if not completely followed.

With that said, what's done is done. Personally, I would hold onto it until you figure out what you're going to build. If that kit fits into it then you still have them, if not then try and sell them to cut your losses. JMHO.

The Ryzen platform has come a long way since last year. The ram you have will most likely work at rated speed. There is no guarentee mind you but I think it'll work. Build the system, if it doesn't work out then sell it and replace it.

Unless you're buying purely for artificial benchmark scores, you will NEVER be able to tell the difference. Just use it, and if it doesn't work, sell it and buy something else.

Any chance OCF can find the IP address and location of spammers? Then they can post the info for interested members in the spammer's town, so they can go to his house and ask him nicely to stop? I volunteer for Phoenix. In fact, I'm begging for that data on any spammers here. :D

Feel free to report all spammers to the Mods Alaric. Just click the little Warning symbol near the Thanks button. This will help the Mods prevent the spammers for further posting.

Oh, I did. I'm still a fan of tracking IP addresses, in the interest of gentle persuasion and showing them the error of their ways. Maybe they're just wayward souls because mommy and daddy never gave them hugs or held their hands. So, in the interest of making the world a better place we could hold their hands. In a jar of formaldehyde. :snipe:

Oh, I did. I'm still a fan of tracking IP addresses, in the interest of gentle persuasion and showing them the error of their ways. Maybe they're just wayward souls because mommy and daddy never gave them hugs or held their hands. So, in the interest of making the world a better place we could hold their hands. In a jar of formaldehyde. :snipe:

IP address is India, no surprise and one of thousands of spammers from there. No big deal............

Back