• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keyboard Macro Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
I'm looking for a program that can operate like the G-keys on a Logitech keyboard, but with a specific requirement: I need to be able to run the macro with a variable replacement. E.g. I have "18777456" highlighted, and then execute the macro "type set $x debug.enabled; $x.start();". It should type "set 18777456 debug.enabled; 18777456.start();". Google isn't helping much since it decides I mean "variable delay" when I use the term "variable". Put this in Windows subforum since it seems most related, but I wouldn't hate suggestions that work on Linux, too.

Last edited:
Using RJ TextEd I created a simple macro that did exactly that.
Input the data "set 18777456 debug.enabled; 18777456.start();" as the macro giving it a name. With the text "18777456" highlighted it simply replaced it as such: "set 18777456 debug.enabled; 18777456.start();"
RJ is my default text pad/editor with macro and scripting abilities among others. Portable skinnable and very powerful. Built-in updater too. I love the skin TabletDark
https://rj-texted.se/download.html
No linux version (works in wine however) but many text editors (vim?) have macro abilities.
After I delete the win32 and update folders ONLY (just now updated), it's still 452 mb's! I'm on beta 64bit portable.

Last edited:
I'm not looking for a text editor. I can run regex replacements in gvim all day. I'm looking for a program that will type for me wherever the cursor is in whatever application I have open, hence the specific reference to Logitech G-keys.

EDIT:

I've found AutoHotkey which has support for grabbing the clipboard contents, and the application I want to "type" in does properly support the clipboard, so I think this will work.

Last edited:
G-keys is just that; a key to be pressed. So AutoHotKey is applicable to scripting itself but automated. I think it's a jscript function that will work but you will have to learn yourself as I hate typing.

Edit: cool. I never got the hang of or need for autohotkeys.
Though I did have a bunch of autohotkey scripts I downloaded once that were for the cd tray which were cool. Assign whichever device to the alphabetically named autohotkey exe, and once you used the key combo the tray would open and then close after a user specified period. I lost em.

Last edited:
Back