• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

keyboard mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirtoby

I'm thinking of changing the leds on the keyboard to some other colour, perhaps red to match my optical mouse.

Anyways, does anyone know the specs of the leds that I need for the keyboard?

there anywhere from 2 to 4 volts i dont think it would do anything bad just to get random leds and stick em in there thats what i did

hehe.. okay, just wanted to make sure so I don't fry the keyboard and/or the ps/2 port on the mobo because of some stupid led.. :)

one side looks kinda like this (| ) i.e. it has a line in the left hand corner of the circle around the led, and it has a symbol that looks like this >| on the right.. any ideas?

Just touch your new LED to the contact points. If it doesn't come on, flip it around and try again. It won't fry the LED unless the voltage is too high, which I doubt. You are in no danger of frying the keyboard IMO.

I just assumed which way it was supposed to be, and soldered it there.. and it works.. hehe

so now I have nice red lights there that matches my optical mouse..

how many led's could you run off that lead? im thinking of putting 1 or 2 led's under the actual keys so that the cracks between the keys glow.

Two words for ya if you have enough space under the keys , EL wire... you can run the power cord out the back of your keyboard into your case to light it ... i got mine at pep boys , you may be able to do it a different way but if you have any questions about it you can message me on AIM at weponhead ... there are no typos in my name , have fun!

sirtoby said:
I'm thinking of changing the leds on the keyboard to some other colour, perhaps red to match my optical mouse.

Anyways, does anyone know the specs of the leds that I need for the keyboard?

I went the other direction. I changed all of my Case, floppie, cd rom , cdrw, speaker, and optical mouse to BLUE led's I purchased from Radio Shack.

Looks cool at night:p

Pics don't do it justace mainly due to the cd and floppie drives only light when in use. But Ill see what I can do. gotta work all this weekend though.

hmm, I may try to put blue leds in my logitech keyboard... Would this be hard for someone who doesn't know much about it? Do I have to solder? Also are the leds 3mm or 5mm? Do I need any sort of resistors?

My Logitech keyboard had 3mm green LED's but the blue's I put in are 5mm and they fit fine as long as you check for fit first. The 2 LED on my case were also 3mm so I had to drill out the holes a little to insert the 5mm ones then just give a shot of hot glue from the back to hold them still.
You will have to desolder the old LED and then solder in the new ones.
I have pics of them now how do I upload them if they are not HTTP url's? I am still learning the system:confused:

Back