• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KFA2 GeForce GTX 1070 ex (Galax in USA) High temps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You will never reach furmark temperatures during gaming sessions (unless you start throttling under furmark like they say happens).

How are you testing Valley? Did you enable AA to the highest (Ultra quality, 8xAA)? For the record, Valley and Heaven use 99% of GPU at those settings.

Your previous cards and their temperatures cannot really be used to compare to a different generation of GPUs. 80C isn't "bad for the GPU" either. It may be annoying, but that is a personal preference/issue and not a problem with the card/temps too high.

I used the Valley at extreme, high and custom profiles. To be honest I am not sure what AA option is in use automatically. But never had temperature problems with valley. Are you sure it is at 99% usage?

I cannot test as I use Linux at the moment.

Wait, I remember I was annoyed after I used 3dMark firestrike and Timespy and there was throttling back to 1.900ish Mhz and high temps over 80 C with gtx 1070.
My previous gigabyte gtx 1060 windforce was a little beast, with such a small heat sink it was stable around 2.100Mhz.

I think I have some screenshots or some saved results somewhere lol.

I don't think Extreme puts on 8xAA. ;)

That is how the modern cards are SUPPOSED to work!!! If you want to minimize the throttling, raise the power limit and temperature limit as well as raising your fan speed. Knowing how the modern cards work, and that they are different from whatever you tested a couple generations ago, will go a loooooooooong way in minimizing your frustration. Again, you cannot compare even a 1060 to a 1080 and their clocks!!!!

Of course I raised the power limit, temperature limit, voltage as well as 100% fan speed. It did not cope well.

I know you cannot directly compare gtx 1060 and gtx 1070 but I wanted to point out that the gigabyte cooler did work well even though the gtx 1060 was stretched and oc at it its limits.
I assume the same would happen for a gtx 1070 with a better cooler maybe msi or asus.

I do not know man this gpu boost 3.0 is kinda complicated. Might have f up something.

Not sure what you mean by 'cope well'...

Yeah, NVIDIA has really taken a lot of control out of our hands. Truthfully, its best not to mess with it too much. After years of tinkering and wanting to know the minutia/details of things, I have finally let it go. I enjoy using my hardware a lot more now that I don't have a keen eye on everything. :)

Extreme is 1600x900 windowed 8xAA.
Thanks K... I meant Extreme HD... the 1080p res...

.. but I see now it does include the 8xAA...

I wonder if this guy did extreme only.............

I used the highest setting in valley so I guess it is named extreme hd ? The window goes full screen when you run this preset.

If I was a rich guy I guess I would not really care about my hardware performance/details :)

I'm not rich and don't care... I have simply moved on. Nothing wrong with what you are doing... its just that I have better experiences not worrying about that kind of thing for an every day clock. Now, if I am benchmarking competitively (no time any more :(), then its a different story. But I don't worry about boost bins dropping, or temps that I know are more than acceptable. :)

Fair enough it is good the way you think in the end.

Me, on the other hand, I am a value hunter with all the negatives that come with it :/
I am not planning to keep a gtx 1070 for ever and as soon as the value starts to go down eg when vega releases then I would like to sell it quickly and at a competitive price. That might be a prob with every mediocre product.

Every brand makes messes around with the PCB and some hard wire it so voltage cant be changed, could it be it this one is simply a tad higher ? or maybe the shroud isn't tucked it properly so the heatsink doesn't make proper contact ?

Heaven.jpg Valley.jpg

Fair enough it is good the way you think in the end.

Me, on the other hand, I am a value hunter with all the negatives that come with it :/
I am not planning to keep a gtx 1070 for ever and as soon as the value starts to go down eg when vega releases then I would like to sell it quickly and at a competitive price. That might be a prob with every mediocre product.
What do appropriate temperatures have to do with value? You are tying things together that, IMO, are completely unrelated....

I don't look at the brakes on my car if my AC isn't blowing cold enough air. :p

I know it is not the best stress tool and it might be dangerous but atm I do not have on my library games that stress a gtx 1070 at such constant rate except witcher 3 with ~ 90-99% usage, maxed @1080p. To be able to run this game at constant 60fps you need to oc the gtx 1070. Therefore the temps and fan speeds go up much higher than eg valley test which is a piece of cake for almost every modern gpu.
I called nvidia and there is no problems with running Furmark the card will be fine it's not dangerous anymore, nvidia phone 1 (800) 797-6530. In 2012 for testing EVGA told me to runFurmark or EVGA OC Scanner on my GTX 570 for a extended period of time to determine if my video card lockup was the cards error.

Don't care.. I still wouldn't touch it... reasons listed above and again here for posterity...

WHY would I test where I KNOW it is throttling due to the test I am running??? Kind of defeats the point of it, no?

Well from my little experience with pascal gpus temperature do make a big difference on the boost capability of the gpu. It is the way the gpu boost 3.0 works if I am not mistaken.
So the higher the temps the lower the boost (extra horsepower :p ) it can reach, especially during the summer when the ambient temperature is higher than the rest of the season. It is like losing performance as it will start throttling.
Undervolting might help but I am not into this atm.

So additionally to Furmark a pascal gpu will start throttling in gpu intensive games like eg witcher 3 maxed, when temperature rises especially during hot days.

Last edited:
Its throttling in furmark for completely different reasons (VRM and power based). TW3 won't make it throttle because of those reasons. See how that works and why it may not be the best measure?

Thought i saw an article that nVidia made a patch of some sorts to the drivers to force voltage drop when using Furmark ? Was a good while back so no idea if that relates to Pascal as well.

The post you have and others are people with defective cards, My old GTX 570 ran fine with 8 hours Furmak testing. If there was a problem nvidia and AMD would have to use a warning label not to run certain software applications otherwise it would void your warranty.:)

Millions of users use Furmark or EVGA OC Scanner X that don't have a problem including EVGA who suggest using them to test the video card for RMA stress test qualification Toll Free: +1.888.881.EVGA (3842).

I really don't care what they have to say, honestly. If that test is prematurely throttling things on the card (it is), its not the best test for the job. How can you test a specific clockspeed you want to game at when Furmark will throttle the card to lower clocks? ;)

Safe is one thing (it wasn't before, can be now), but if I want to test 2000 MHz and I can't get Furmark to leave it there so I can actually test it, what good is it?

What you said is true. However if you believe in burn in, it fixed my old EVGA SC GTX 570 from crashing all the time in BF3.:)

Back