• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

King 95 case surgery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah - I don't have all the tools I used to own...gave them all to my bother in-law after retiring and moving to Florida. Burr bits in the die grinder would have been much easier lol. The point about cables will be moot moving forward...there will be none with the exception of the gpu cables. Done with the cables inside the case builds. (y)

Last edited:
Looks pretty good :thup:
For me, every Montech product looks like ... I want to cut or replace something. Cases are not bad but ask for mods. PSUs ... at least SFX, are pretty good, but have failed fan curves and are noisy. At least they're cheap ;)

I had high hopes the ProPress fittings would work without any clamping or glue, but testing revealed they will weep. If I elect to use them then glue it is...really like the looks of them.

ProPress.jpg

why not use some small diameter plastic tubing and cut it down one side. could make the length to cover the new cut out that you were not able to file down/etc. something like one of these, its not what i recall seeing on some sharp edges. this would still work, i was looking for a more complete round side to it. the last two is the closest thing i can find, that is no tape in on the inside should you want to take it out.

why not use some small diameter plastic tubing and cut it down one side. could make the length to cover the new cut out that you were not able to file down/etc. something like one of these, its not what i recall seeing on some sharp edges. this would still work, i was looking for a more complete round side to it. the last two is the closest thing i can find, that is no tape in on the inside should you want to take it out.

That would work fine, but in the end nobody is going to see it with everything installed. Most of the edges are about even with the edge of the motherboard.

Fixed it for you with some 3M tape... :sneaky:

3M tape.jpg

Last edited:
Which motherboard are you putting in here? Looks like a cool mod but I'm curious about handling the weight of a GPU plus water cooling components with that motherboard tray cut-up.

Montech is not known for using thick steel with their cases.

Which motherboard are you putting in here? Looks like a cool mod but I'm curious about handling the weight of a GPU plus water cooling components with that motherboard tray cut-up.

Montech is not known for using thick steel with their cases.
Another MSI Project Zero motherboard. Even with the cut-outs the mb tray is still pretty rigid. If you have ever dealt with the King 95 case you would find it a very heavy unit before anything is bolted inside...over 26 pounds. https://www.newegg.com/black-montech-king-95/p/N82E16811970005

I found the King 95 has a serious problem awaiting for those wanting to add a radiator up top. I don't know if AIO's are typically narrower than conventional radiators, but a HWL 360 GTS will absolutely not fit inside the top bracket...you can't align the mounting holes with the slots because of the overall width. I was barely able to fit a Primochill radiator. The only way to fit the GTS 360 was to flip the bracket over, but it was so janky looking and caused a problem fitting the top panel back on I nixed that idea. Bottom mounting any radiator will pose no problems.

rad spacing 2.jpg rad spacing.jpg top rad.jpg top rad clearance.jpg bottom rad.jpg

You have something funny going on here. I have doubts that the black radiator pictured is a 360mm radiator. Looking at the second image looks like it is a 420mm.
Nothing funny about it. I emailed Montech about the issue and they replied they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution for future production. The GTS 360 is 133mm wide...guess there are no real standards on width. The Primochill radiator is 120mm wide and the bracket just barely fit it. The GTS 360 fits the JONSBO case with ease which is the case I took the Primochill from...like I said, evidently no real standards on radiator overall width. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OK. Just as a point of reference for you, my Alphacool Monster 360 measures 125mm and my Swifttech 360 is 128mm wide. So I would say the HWL radiators definitely fall on the thicker side.

Makes you wonder why someone like Montech would make such a rookie mistake. A good chance even your Swifttech would not fit...I have not seen this from other manufacturers. Guess some engineer thought since it held 120mm fans that is exactly the width of every radiator lol. They could have easily expanded the width of that bracket from the beginning...jesus, it's a radiator bracket, not a bearing lol.

That looks really nice. Most of your cuts in the first post are well done. I can't believe that you used the pro-press fittings without compressing them? The overall finished product is really nice. Well done sir.

As usual, I could have done a better job of it...guess getting old changes the drive for excellence lol. Almost have it where I want it, but it will take some time to get my Starfield game back into shape. It's running cool and snappy so far. Those ProPress fittings I just wanted to try, but I wouldn't use them again...too pricey. One of these days I'm going to build a pretty themed rig instead of my usual stoic utilitarian approach.

As usual, I could have done a better job of it...guess getting old changes the drive for excellence lol. Almost have it where I want it, but it will take some time to get my Starfield game back into shape. It's running cool and snappy so far. Those ProPress fittings I just wanted to try, but I wouldn't use them again...too pricey. One of these days I'm going to build a pretty themed rig instead of my usual stoic utilitarian approach.
I don't know. I like what you did. I also understand that whole notion that if it can't be seen... The majority of your cuts are really straight and show that you knew what you were doing when you did it. No point to be pretty just for pretty's sake? The sharp edges still make me feel nervous but my hands and wires are no where near your edges so.... ;)

I see the ProPress on YouTube a lot. I'm not a plumber and therefore wouldn't be buying these for myself. Not spending the money for a ProPress crimper. I've soldered most of my in home repairs and even borrowed crimpers for Pex.

Back