• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Koolance Systems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Quiet Ice is right on this one I think - I am only really interested in silent running, so can you suggest a block just for the GPU?

All of the barbs, tubing etc. that I need come with kit I assume? I just have to request the AMD adaptor plate?

I think that kit already comes with an MCW60 GPU block. That block has been around for years almost unchanged because it's a good design. As new card configurations come out Swiftech releases a new mounting plate for the MCW60 so it will fit the new card. Like I said above, you may have to call or e-mail Sidewinder to see if you need some type of add-on plate for the MCW60 as I'm not sure what comes with the kit.

The same goes for the AMD adapter plate. Maybe it's part of the kit, maybe not - I don't know but Sidewinder's will ...

That's great thanks QuietIce, I have emailed them the following, I will let you know their response:

Hi there,

I am new to water cooling and am only really interested as I have high ambient temperatures and I want a silent system, so I was going to buy this:

1 x Swiftech H20-220-APEX ULTIMA CPU Liquid Cooling Kit
3 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120 mm Silent Case Fan
1 xScythe KM03-BK-3.5 KAZE MASTER PRO 3.5in. 4-Channel Fan Controller – Black

Can you please confirm that I have EVERYTHING I need to cool my CPU & GPU?

AMD Phenom II X4 955
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB

If not, what else do I need? Thanks!

Chris,
It should work for the Phenom out of the box. For the 5770 though I do not have a solution. That XFX card is not reference, which means nothing out there (that I know of) will fit that card PCB. The only option you have is to sell your 5770 and get another card if you want to liquid cool it, or, wait and see if EK comes out with a solution that will fit it.
Note the MCR-220 radiator in the kit would do better if a 3x120 rad of some kind were in its place, or each heat source was on its separate loop. Having said this it will still work and be superior to air cooling, and quieter.

Best Regards
Gary Stofer
Sidewinder Computer Systems

So I guess my only resort is to cool the entire GPU right?

1 x EK Waterblocks EK-FC5770 - Acetal / Copper?

But QUietIce you asked the question:
"I'm not sure an MCR-220 is enough to run a CPU and full-coverage video block. I had assumed only the CPU and GPU (not incl. video memory) would be in the loop. What do you guys think ...???"

This might be getting expensive!

So would I need more fans for that too? So I would mount the first on the top of the case and the scond at the back? SOrry for being such a noob.

Alright, final shopping list (?):

5 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 120 mm Silent Case Fan
1 x Swiftech H20-220-APEX ULTIMA CPU Liquid Cooling Kit
1 x EK Waterblocks EK-FC5770 - Acetal / Copper
1 x Scythe KM03-BK KAZE MASTER PRO 5.25in. 6- Channel Fan Controller - Black
1 x Swiftech MCR220-QP Stackable 2X120mm - Black *

Sub-total $476.80
Shipping $84.90
Duty @ 22% $126.38

TOTAL $688.08 - yikes.

Last edited:
You might get by with adding only a single rad in back but full-coverage blocks are out of my experience so don't quote me!

I would also check many sources before buying that block for your video card. Gary wrote:
That XFX card is not reference, which means nothing out there (that I know of) will fit that card PCB. The only option you have is to sell your 5770 and get another card if you want to liquid cool it, or, wait and see if EK comes out with a solution that will fit it.
I'd be leery about disregarding that information. Sidewinder's does sell the full-coverage block you listed (EK Waterblocks EK-FC5770) but Gary said they didn't have anything that would fit because it's a not a reference card, meaning XFX deviated from the basic lay-out when they built it. Before buying it I would find someone who actually owns the exact video card you have and is using that block on it just to make sure. It could be a $75 mistake if you don't ...

Well I used the product selector on the EK website and it gives this product when you select the XFX card - so I should be ok. Additionally Andrew149 above has the card and the block and finally - I have emailed Gary back and asked him to confirm the above. All bases covered - thanks though.

Will I need any additional "bits"? Barbs? Clips? Tubing?

SHould I get any special thermal paste to fit the block?

Last edited:
ORDERED! Ouch, let's not talk about the price.

Thanks to y'all for your help!

It seems I should be able to stack the two rads on top of eachother and then to the two 120mm fan brackets in the top of my case. Exciting!

i have the block for my my ati 5770, be very careful i got some water on my ati card toast it, so im gonna go pick up a new one today, the block is huge and its heavy =} it looks like its gonna work when i had everything running i saw that my amd 965 was at idle at 40c with 2 gpu's

cards are super easy to put on the only thing is hard is getting the little spacers alighned on but like i told you about my setup i have proff for you!

Back