• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KR7A Volt Mods The Easy Way!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lvcoyote

Overclocked Moderator, Overclockers.com Lead Edito
Hi Everyone!

Just thought I would share how I did my volt mods on this KR7A133Raid Board. It was simple to do, and works Great! This is the method I used for both the Vcore and Vmem Mods.

Step 1 - The Components:

2 of the 50K Ohm Resistors from Radio Shack seen HERE.
2 SMD Grabbers from Pomona Electronics as seen
HERE You want the model 5520, choose the color you want.
You will also need superglue and a toothpick to finish the job.

Step 2 - Soldering it together.

The first thing I did to the SMD Grabbers is drill a very small hole in the top of the cap. I did this because its easier to work with the wire your about to solder to the Grabber. The stock Grabber comes with a hole cut in the side of the cap, but I found this difficult to work with. I used some phone line wire I had laying around in the garrage for this project, it worked real well. I soldered the wire to the SMD grabber first making sure I had a long enough wire to reach where it needed to go, about 18 inches is my case, but yours may varry.

Next your going to want to solder two wires to the Potentiometer, one from the SMD Grabber you just soldered and the other will be your ground. If you look at this PICTURE, notice the Potentiometer has three legs on it. The center leg will always be your ground. You will solder the SMD Grabber wire to one of the other two remaining legs depending how you want your dial to work. I hooked mine up so a clockwise turn will reduce resistance/increase voltage. Its VERY important that you get a volt meter of some sort to check this out before you start soldering. Simply hold the ground lead of the tester to the center leg and the hot lead of the tester to one of the other two legs and turn the dial. REMEMBER when the tester reads 50K Ohm that means little or no effect on the core voltage.

Step 3 - Hooking it all up.

As you can see by this PICTURE I mounted my potentiometers in an open drive bay making for easy access. I used the mounting screws on a drive bay to ground the setup as seen HERE. Next it was time to mount the SMD Grabbers to the appropriate pins. As most of you have read, the pin you need for the core voltage mod is pin 7. After attaching the Grabber to the pin, I used a dab of superglue (applied with a toothpick) to keep everyting attached. You can see where I got a smudge of glue on the chip, but that shouldnt hurt anything. See this PICTURE to see what it looks like attached. Next I did basically the same thing for the Vmem. You want pin 3 on this one. Again I applied a drop of superglue to keep it in place. I smudged some superglue on this one too. See this PICTURE to see what it looks like attached.

Step 4 - Starting The Computer For The First Time:

MAKE SURE YOUR POTENTIOMETER DIAL IS SET FOR MAX RESISTANCE!!!!! If you followed the instructions above you will know which direction your dial should be turned for max resistance. If you do this wrong you risk serious damage to your motherboard, so check twice if you have to, but get it right!!

Once you have a successful boot, go into your BIOS settings and navigate to the PC Health Status area. The two voltages your going to be working with are VCORE and DDR. Once there you can begin turning the dial to reduce the resistance of the potentiometer to increase the voltages. Pay special attention to the readings as they will increase as you turn the dial. Be VERY careful as to how fast you turn the dials. turn them EXTREMELY slow and take your time. If you go too fast and get the voltages too high you can cook your board or CPU. You may have to get 1/4 or 1/2 of the way through the dial before you beging to notice the the voltage increase, but once it starts, very minute turns of the dial will increase the voltages. Be careful and go SLOW!!!

If done correctly this mod works fantastic, I hope it helps anyone who has been looking to do the mods. It is an alternative to Soldering on your board if your not comfortable doing that. Good luck and happy overclocking!!

Lvcoyote

Last edited:
thats EXCELLENT buddy thanks? just the stuff i wanted to know, EXACTLY. i already did the Vcore w/ the pamona's and a pot, but i need to kill OVP and do Vmem.

i have the KX7 but the chips are all the same. BTW did u disable the Overvolt Protection on the CPU?

hope u see this, thanks alot for the info

questions to anyone who sees this:
1) how much resistance about i would need to knock overvolt protection to 2.4volts or so, and if a 50k pot would work.
2)does the Vmem mod also affect the VIO or are they different controllers.
i know on some older Abit boards the mod affects both at the same time, and i really dont wanna crank the VIO

look in the pics:)

check out the sticky by Doctor called get your volt mods here. there are links with pics there

Back