• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kubuntu 8.10................

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gottcha

I wanted to test out ubuntu but after hours of trying to make it work i give up and want it off my computer can anyone help me?

I installed it in windows so it would be easy to install AND Uninstall at least thats what it said. The installation took three times to get itself right and then i rebooted as it told me to and tried to pick ubuntu but it tells me yet another file is missing or corrupt(spmething mbr). So after searching for some answers I decided to remove it via the Niffty Uninstall option in the directory BUT it never install right so that won't work............. yeah um........ help me make it go away please!:bang head

Just delete the directory and use fixmbr on the windows disk.

This is why I hate funky virtualized type installs using files as disks etc. So much easier to just set up a simple dual boot system on 2 partitions.

yeah... you boot into the recovery console and type "fixmbr"

That's it.

Basically, you're rewriting the boot code, that's all.

A question on the Ubuntu disk, did you burn it at x1 speed (or the slowest possible) and did you check the disk for errors before installing?
I've also had some trouble with 8.10 (the alternative install actually) but the desktop install worked fine for me.

I'm not sure what speed it burnt at. My burner is set on auto but i know it was no where near blazin speeds.

Well i insterted the windows disc and booted but there was no fixmdr option. Sorry i don't play around with recovering alot I have only done it twice since well i have had computers. I was just tring to play around with something new. I did try the no install trial of kubuntu and it seems very snappy and looks very good. I have just browsed the alter operating systems forum a few time but it got me interested. So i know nothing about it yet other than so far it seems like you would need a very good understanding of how it works before you can use it.

I'm not sure what speed it burnt at. My burner is set on auto but i know it was no where near blazin speeds.

Well i insterted the windows disc and booted but there was no fixmdr option. Sorry i don't play around with recovering alot I have only done it twice since well i have had computers. I was just tring to play around with something new. I did try the no install trial of kubuntu and it seems very snappy and looks very good. I have just browsed the alter operating systems forum a few time but it got me interested. So i know nothing about it yet other than so far it seems like you would need a very good understanding of how it works before you can use it.

try this if you still want to try, i say download vmware or virtual pc and install it on one of those(might have better luck with vmware since virtual pc is microsoft) no trying to fix anything, no dual booting etc, just make a virtual hard drive insert or capture the iso and off you go, i have virtual pc and currently have windows 98 installed :)

Well i will try it but i need to get the dual boot off my comp its seems to be anoying my wife alot. It really seems like it could be a cool OS.

Read my post again. It's fixmbr, not fixmdr. =P

0 points for reading.

How dare you say i didn't read!!!!!

I give myself +1 for reading!!!!
Just because my keyboard is not perfect and makes mistakes it not my fault!

Seriously, There was nothing about "fixmbr" fixing anything boot related. The closest option it gives me is to do a system restore. Just to clairify this fixmbr is on the windows CD. I booted from the cd and it gives me the option to 1. install or there is another option in the lower left corner to repair windows installation. I figured it would be under the Repair windows installation, but it wasn't.

Than you for your help.

You can issue fixmbr thru the recovery console, MRD's instructions were good.

Refer to the following page, where it lists available commands thru recovery console:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

If you aren't able to run it in recovery console, please let us know if you get an error or something. fixmbr is something you have to type at the command line. You won't see an option for it unless you type "help" at the prompt.

That link was for XP. I'm useing Vista 64 bit

Ok i think i understand now. The recovery console is like a dos prompt? well i'm not sure how to get thier from the windows CD that takes me to a the install windows screen.

Ok there is an option to a dos prompt. But how do i use fixmbr?

the prompt looks like this

x:\soures>

edit

Ok the correct one for vista is bootrec /fixmbr
at the prompt which i did
and it said it was successful but i still get asked which OS to choose question at start up???? I'm really not sure where to go?

Last edited:
Never learned Vista... that's how you do it in other versions of windows.

You could also use a livecd and use dd to copy the boot record from the mbr of another windows machine. There's probably some way to do it with vista though, but I don't use/like vista so I'm not sure.

Use these two commands in the recovery console to restore your Windows Vista bootloader:
Code:
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr

Use these two commands in the recovery console to restore your Windows Vista bootloader:
Code:
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr

ok I'll will try them in that order when i get off work.

Thanks for all the help guys!

I think that the MBR hasn't been changed.
Because Ubuntu is really (in this case) a VM which runs after windows starts to boot.
What you might have to do is get it to install correctly (over itself) and then uninstall it.

I kinda thought that to but after a reboot and before windows loads it asked me to choose an OS.

If Gruvens sugestion doesn't work I'll try to install it again and then uninstall it.

Ok update gruvens. the bootfix didn't work and i have tried to reinstall it and it will not work. anyone have any more ideas???

Back