• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

l/c: What's the oldest component in your main desktop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom10167

Looking over my system today I was thinking about how long I've had some of this stuff. Most of it I consider to be fairly recent. In the real world an i7 isn't what I'd consider to be a "dated system".

However, I got the Belkin N52TE the month it came out, which was January 2008, six years ago!

Almost everything else is from around 2009. 4890, x25m, i7, a bunch of 1.5TB drives, sounds about right.

Anyone got a 780ti and is still using a 120GB HDD?

From oldest to newest:

1. IBM 101-key, the kind with the rectangular IBM name plate (as opposed to the wimpy oval shaped one) and a black cord with big AT connector. Late 1980s?

2. CRT monitor for the computer in the garage.

3. Delta PSUs from 1999 (all original parts, except the 4-pin ATX12V connectors I had to add).

4. APC 300VA backup, all metal with only 2 outlets in back. The original battery lasted almost 10
years.

Most of my current desktop is fairly new, except for my WD raptor which is still going from 2006-7 (use it as a system drive for Ubuntu only). Other than that only the case has some age to it.

My 1.5TB HDD from ~2009.
But I've also been upgrading recently.

Before the upgrades in the last month or so it would have been my NZXT M59, which the server is in now.

Acer ps/2 keyboard sometime in the '90's I believe.

I do have a special edition Logitech "Clear Case" serial mouse from October '86 :D
(I soldered a green LED in it, looks so cool during the night)
But alas, only works in Windows 3.1 :rain:

The motherboard/CPU. Got them in August, 2011. I also have a 2TB Samsung as a back up drive that I got in October 2011, pre-owned, so it could be "older". (If anyone remembers that newegg thread that popped up about the $32 2TB drives, it's one of those.)

I have a true, auzentech prelude, first gen 1tb black, and my panaflos in my rig currently :thup: then my rig itself wich is kind of old.. My CPU is an es so :shrug:

My oldest part is the cpu/mb shown in my sig, everything else has been upgraded at least once. I just can't justify to myself upgrading at this point.

Wow I thought people would be coming out of the woodwork with '07 stuff for sure!

It seems a lot of us are still on hardware from circa '09. CPU progress, or maybe the demand for it, has really slown down since then. I used to upgrade fairly regularly but I see no reason to upgrade my chip anytime soon. Now the 4890... :D

Coolermaster 500w PSU. Roughly 6 years old if I remember correctly. Replaced the fan ~2 years ago but otherwise a rock solid performer.

Up until recently my oldest component still in service was my Thermaltake Xaser case, circa 2003. I moved up to my CX500 a few months ago. Past that, it's a 36gb that I bought used in 2007, using it as a boot drive for my server. Past that it's a 1TB WD Green from 2008.

Everything in the case is the same age... late 2011? Keyboard is late 2011, mouse is new off of RMA, and monitors are new. The oldest parts I have are sound related... receiver from the 80s, paradigm atom v1s, and ath-a900s I've had for a while.

Back