• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L3 cache application BSP only?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

There's this setting in my ASRock mobo bios for "L3 cache application" and the choices are "BSP Only" and "All cores". Anybody know what that is about and what BSP stands for?

Okay, here's a hint. I just Googled and found that BSP stands for "boot strap processor". So, it seems as if you are being asked if you want the L3 to be accessible to the primary core used for boot up or all the cores. Does that make sense?

I'd be interested to hear informed opinions on that as well - never heard of it. I do recognize BSP from flitting through various white papers but I've never heard of that application. I could see where single-core apps would run better if it's what it sounds like ...

I would imagine that for benching apps like Superpi that are single thread, one core only is what is best. You can get all the L3 being unsed by one core. It is supposed to boost performance from 0-5%.

For general usage. leave it on "all cores"

German translation here

Thanks. I was thinking along those lines as well. It is odd though, that AMI would take the trouble to stick some obscure feature in the bios like that one but neglect to include something really useful like CPU NB voltage adjustment.

Back