• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LA, LE, LD, LC Whats the difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xb1az3x

I bought some G.Skill TCCD LD memory and i see that the LA or LE are what people prefer. What is the differences between these chips? Are the LD garbage, I want to be able to hit 300 HTT with these chips, but now im worried i wont be able to. My system i am building is:
a64 3000+ Venice
DFI Lanparty NF4
x800 xl
if i do have to use a divider will it hamper my performance significantly in gaming?

Just binned differently. The LE's are generally the best. LA's are second, and then down the line. Typically speaking the better TCCD will scale better than their lower rated ones.

With the LD and LC, you still can do 300HTT but not going to be easy to run at T1 command or maybe at 1:1.

will the looser timings on the LDs affect gaming at all? will it be a noticeable difference if i used LEs?

xb1az3x said:
will the looser timings on the LDs affect gaming at all? will it be a noticeable difference if i used LEs?
Thats what I'm wondering.

I'm not 100% sure. I think, if you want to run programs more responsive or smooth and improve a little more speed, then the low timing should help.

xb1az3x said:

You'd never see a visual difference in games. Although, some people don't want to hear that. You will notice a difference in benchmarks from the looser timings, but that is about it. Try them out and see how they do.

-Collin-

I'm all confused now, I can't decide if i want to go the for the LA's or the LE's or get the ocz plt rv2. Hmm...

In my sisoft sandra, memory slow timing score is about 6800. for fast timing, it does around 7700. Tested at the same cpu speed.

PC4800 LA or PC4400 LE is very good. The OCZ rev2 is very nice too.

Thanks, I think I'll go with one of the faster ones but I'll leave some of the decision up to my pocketbook ;)

If all you're doing is playing games go with the cheaper set. As stated you're not going to notice a difference with your eyes. Benchmarks and actual frame rates are what is going to suffer from loose timings. And a few FPS in a game isn't noticable in my opinion, only in benchmarks.

Best thing to do is get the memory that is going to match your system best. Last thing you want to do is spend $260 bucks on memory to find out it doesn't run very well with your system/motherboard.

well its going in a new system which will be:

A64 3000+ Venice
DFI NF4-D
Connect 3D x800xl
G.Skill 4400 LD

will that memory go well with my system?

Back