• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lapped my IHS on a Q6600 (pics and results)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am so tempted to try this as I have one core on my quad that is consitently 6-8c hotter than the rest. I am okay with the warrenty being voided, whats the worst thing that can happen to my chip if i do it wrong?

Uh, ESD fries it, which you can avoid with a wrist strap as was suggested, and probably about the only other real risk is making it less flat than it already is, but that'd require you to be a pretty big dummy, lol.

Thanks BigMike, Hopefully I won't be that big of a dummy:) I am going to break my watercooling setup down when my MM case gets here might well go all out and lap the cpu too.

Let's just say, if my uncoordinated self (at least when nervous and handling a chip that i knew would be hard to replace because it clocked so well) can successfully delid an opteron 165 and NOT destroy the cpu, you can probably pull this off with ease.

mgoode said:
I am so tempted to try this as I have one core on my quad that is consitently 6-8c hotter than the rest. I am okay with the warrenty being voided, whats the worst thing that can happen to my chip if i do it wrong?

The differences between cores is normal as far as I can tell... just look at the numbers mine gives. I would think you could make your temps worse if you don't do it evenly. The key is to use a flat piece of glass and apply very little to no pressure. Let the sandpaper and gravity do the work for you.

If you're serious about it, I can provide more details, but it's pretty pretty easy. I'm sure you'll be surprised once you start as I was. Like I said, initially my plan was to use the 800 grit to just polish the surface to see if the nickel layer started to wear away unevenly (which it did). After a few laps in each direction , and seeing this totally uneven $540 chip something in my head snapped and I figured, "f*ck this, I'm gonna do it."

I'll do the same w/ my next CPU and HS for sure. It is really easy to do, you just have to get over that initial mental barrier.

I believe you have convinced me to lap my q6600 when i grab one after the price cuts.

Did you only use 800 and 1000 grit. If not tell me what grits you did use :)

I Lapped my e4300 a month ago, but I didn't wet the sandpaper... My temps improved a bit, but its not really helping if your room is 32-34 degrees in daytime lol. And, there's this L2 revision core temp issues :(

Nice lapjob! :)

I just lapped my E2160 and yea, the corners are definitely higher than the center. You can clearly see it after 5mins on 400 grit. I went from 400-->2000 grit, about 5-10mins per sheet from the EasyPCKit. I didn't polish it to a shine though lol. But temps look like they dropped 4-5*C (58C load ==> 53C load after lap). The temp should drop a bit more after a week or so after the Arctic Silver cures. :)

when I lapped my 4300 the temps decreased about 10C

Once I get my Q6600, I think I will run it for at least a week before I lap it though. Overclocking an unlapped CPU is sacrilege in my book. It is one of those must do things in my book.

I'd always run the chip for a few days before lapping it, ya never know it might be ok out of the box, plus you want to make sure its not going to DOA out on you before you void the waranty, lol.

Big Mike said:
I'd always run the chip for a few days before lapping it, ya never know it might be ok out of the box, plus you want to make sure its not going to DOA out on you before you void the waranty, lol.
QFT
I'm going to run it hard for a few months before I even think of lapping it. That way I'll know more of it's thermal issues under summer conditions while running maxed 24/7.

The thought of lapping ANY IHS scares me. I would (at the very least) make sure it works before you lap it. The ketchup test would be mandatory as well.

graysky said:
I'm sure you'll do just fine. Just take your time and don't use much pressure at all; let the sandpaper and gravity do the work. Remember FLAT is what you're aiming for when lapping. Take some pics as you're doing it and also get some temps before/after (make sure you make not of the room temp).

Technically, you rub the $800 piece of computer equipment on the sandpaper :p

Just wait about two years and it will be an $80 piece fo computer equipment! ;)

Mtotho just finished lapping his Q6600 and HS and was met with a crazy reduction in temp from 74 °C down to 47 °C on his hottest core under load. This result was from a stock setting of 9x266. He has since clocked up to 9x333 and found temps around 55-55-50-50 using a vcore around 1.22-1.26 as read in CPU-Z. Just wanted to share another successful result on a quad.

graysky said:
Mtotho just finished lapping his Q6600 and HS and was met with a crazy reduction in temp from 74 °C down to 47 °C on his hottest core under load. This result was from a stock setting of 9x266. He has since clocked up to 9x333 and found temps around 55-55-50-50 using a vcore around 1.22-1.26 as read in CPU-Z. Just wanted to share another successful result on a quad.

Correction, it was actually from 77c to 47c, also i did not lap my hs, i plan to as soon as i switch my motherboard from asus p5w dh deluxe, to the one shown in my signature. THanks

Hmm, I think I have been convinced to lap my Q6600, even though the idea kinda makes me cringe.

Back