• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop dis/assembly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

data1

Hi
I'm disassembling a laptop for to see if it can be somehow upgraded (For fun) but the first obstacle I run to is a metal plate that goes between the top (keyboard) and the bottom (mobo). Now the problem basically is that the manual has no info about this metal plate as if it shouldn't even be there. So I'm thinking should I just brute force remove the bolted end of the plate that doesn't seem to have any tool to detach it and just get rid of the plate?

Picture of the plate (Plate in between the red lines):

metalplate.jpg

Link to manual (HP Pavilion 17): http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04427554

All ideas welcome!

thanks!

(And sorry if this is in wrong section!)

Last edited:
no access from bottom. the mobo sits on the bottom cover which is solid plastic

Looking at page 16 of the manual it appears that there are a number of screws that hold the bottom shell to the frame. Is this not so?

I removed all the screws from the bottom side and this allowed the keyboard to be released

Took some more pictures of the problem. For some reason the metal plate is attached to the CD-ROM and I don't know how to remove it without breaking it.

Image of the bolts:

bolted.jpg

Image of the CD:

cd.jpg

Although fuzzy, that appears to be a rivet. You'll have to drill it out, carefully. There'll be more somewhere in this laptop it would seem.

Then if I remove all the rivets there's no way getting the metal plate attached again. But what's still mystery is why there even is such metal plate that has no mentioning in the manual. What's it's purpose?

If you remove all the rivets you can reinstall new rivets. Or use a diameter matching type B sheet metal screw as a replacement. I'm not going to second guess why the designers put the metal plate in the unit.

Look at pages 66-67 of the manual. Remove the indicated screw from the bottom (if it is not already removed), then pull the optical drive out of the notebook. That should provide access to the screw head that is holding the plate.

actually the CD came off, it was already loose but I didn't realize it. But the metal plate was not attached to the CD after all but to the plastic cover. I'm probably going to try and remove those rivets next

Ok I opened the thing now and got access to the CPU now but it seems the CPU is glued in place from the corners. Didn't want to use too much force but I think it's not removable

Most laptop CPUs are soldered to the motherboard rather than socketed in. It is removable but it requires significant equipment and skill in soldering / de-soldering BGA components. I do hope this was more "for-fun" than "for upgrade" as there may have been easier and less destructive ways of finding this out.

lol yes 90% for fun 10% for upgrade. I'd hate to waste otherwise working laptop but the CPU replacing is going to be the stop for me

Trying to put this thing together but I only get white screen. Haven't plugged keyboard/mouse yet
any ideas what to try?

the ribbon cables are very fragile. Did you unplug the monitor cable at any point? I would verify that it is properly plugged in. Most of these cables have a locking plug, it's important to unlock the tab before removing the cable to prevent damage.

the ribbon cables are very fragile. Did you unplug the monitor cable at any point? I would verify that it is properly plugged in. Most of these cables have a locking plug, it's important to unlock the tab before removing the cable to prevent damage.

Yes , I think there's just one cable coming from the monitor and it's properly plugged because leaving it unplugged results in black screen and not white

Reseat all cables/plugs/connectors

There isn't actually many cables plugged right now. Just the power button cable, WLAN module/cable, Speaker Kit, screen, and Battery Board/cable.

The battery cable I have never removed nor the Speaker Kit
so there isn't many cables to play with (just two, power and screen)

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

no access from the bottom. the mobo sits on the bottom cover which is solid plastic.

If you do that your ethernet port will be damaged. Then you are not able to connect with the Router .

I put the mobo back but I don't see any damage to the port

is it possible the CPU is bad because I took the heating thingy away and put it back?
and that's why the white screen?

Back