• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop dis/assembly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sure, it's possible, the die of the CPU is not protected by a heat spreader as it is in a desktop part. Did you replace the thermal interface material between the cooler and the CPU?

sure, it's possible, the die of the CPU is not protected by a heat spreader as it is in a desktop part. Did you replace the thermal interface material between the cooler and the CPU?

No I did not replace it. why?

The surface of both the CPU die and the cooler should be cleansed with isopropyl alcohol, preferably 90% or greater. Coffee filters are preferred to paper towels as a paper towel can leave small fibers behind. Then new thermal grease can be applied. Arctic MX-5 is a commonly used brand. You should be able to get away with re-using the thermal pads around the CPU if there are any, just make sure they are lined up the way they came off for proper mounting pressure on the CPU.

Also I'm not sure if this will fix what is causing your white screen issue, it could be so many number of things, but without replacing the thermal interface you''ll wind up with out of control thermals. I do suppose it could be bad enough to make the laptop not boot, but I would expect a black screen rather than a white one.

Also I'm not sure if this will fix what is causing your white screen issue, it could be so many number of things, but without replacing the thermal interface you''ll wind up with out of control thermals. I do suppose it could be bad enough to make the laptop not boot, but I would expect a black screen rather than a white one.

It's probably good idea to change the paste but I highly doubt it's overheating issue because the white screen comes like second after I press the power button

I tried removing the laptop mobo battery and then run it without battery but only thing changed was that the black screen appeared for a while and then the white screen again
getting somewhere? =/

Haven't yet been able to figure this out. Could the mods move this to more appropriate section, this maybe the wrong one?

Every laptop has a Bottom access. The screws to these laptops are screwed under the rubber stoppers.
Remove those stoppers and you get access to the parts of the laptop from the bottom.
Do not access the internals of the laptop from the keyboard section as you may damage the laptop.

Also, the laptops are not made to be worked upon from the top.

I tried with another monitor and that one got picture. So I guess the laptop's monitor is somehow broken... will try to see if I can open the monitor. Hope it's not too much effort, the screen has only two screws so I hope I only need to remove those and then pop it open with a screwdriver

Last edited:
Good news, I was able to fix the problem... I did not open the monitor simply because it requires a knife and I don't have one atm. Instead I decided to pull the monitor cable a little bit and then put it back and boom! The picture came up :)
It does flicker a bit sometimes when booting.. but of course this kind of white screen issue could happen anytime so I don't know anymore if I should upgrade the laptop. Seems too risky if I need to constantly be opening it up and fixing the white screen

pretty much figured now what the problem is, there is contact problem with the video cable coupling. Is putting tape in there a good idea?

I think it depends on the type of tape and the intended application. "in there" is pretty vague. If you have quality electrical tape and are planning to apply it to the outside of a ribbon cable to secure it to a connector, then my answer is maybe. I doubt the connector has enough surface area really, but if you can also use nearby PCB to adhere then it might help. Of course the downside is residue left behind if / when the tape needs to be removed. Other than that I doubt it would hurt to try, but I also doubt it would help long term.

Is the connector's locking mechanism broken damaged? This is a common problem when cables are disconnected while the locking mechanism is engaged.

I'm tempted to suggest something like hot glue, but I could also see that going terribly wrong, becoming stuck in the connector where you can't remove it, or melting during use. It's not something I've tried before and I'm not confident enough to recommend you try it, but it is something you could research yourself further and decide if it seems like a good solution.

Just when I thought I might be able to fix this the screen stopped completely from working. What I discovered was that when I press down the video cable connector to mobo the white screen turns to valid picture. But now I don't know if I broke it for good because I don't even get the white picture but black. So I'm pretty much done with this project as I run out of ideas

Back