• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Mobo POST issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CHowell

My friend owns a Sony PCG-7L1L and has this problem. If he presses the power button the power/hdd lights come on as if there is activity but it remains at a black screen. If he presses down in a certain spot, above the hdd bay, and holds that pressure it will go through the boot up process and he can release the pressure once it gets to the Windows login screen and the laptop works fine. The only problem he has afterwards is that the laptop will not go through the shutdown process properly. It will just hang in the shutting down screen until, you guessed it, he presses on that spot again. There has to be a circuit or loop or something that is being fixed by pressure in that spot. The weird thing is that the spot isn't even above any portion of the motherboard. So I have it dismantled right now. Any ideas on what I should check in to? I did find what I think is the CMOS battery (although it is different that what I'd expect to see on a desktop) on the flip side of the mobo from the HDD bay. This has to be something to do with the power up/POST process I'm guessing.

My first thought would be that your pressing against a loose balled gpu and it is displaying an image.

Can you try to restart the laptop with an external monitor and see if anything shows on that?

Back